Mega Thread The OFFICIAL 2011 Draft mega thread. Rd 1 - Pick 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys this maybe old news or not of interest but Gavin Urqhart(spelling?) has requested a trade. Scott didnt hesitate in saying yes and the 2 dont get on. I dont anything about him personally but just passing it on. This is from a very reliable source that I cant disclose so if you want to shoot me down please just delete the post mods.

This is the one and only piece of info I have posted regarding this type of thing so i am not a serial trade week poster.
There were recent rumours he'd been told he'd be moved on as discussed here:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22477892

also there were rumours last year that he had requested a trade and Scott back then said he was a required player.

I've steered clear of the thread this year, as I've probably only seen half of the seasons games as the previous years.

From the games I have seen and the guys in question mostly in the thread;

Ellis, Docherty and McKenzie would all be excellent choices for different reasons to fullfill essentially the same position in the side.

I definately see McKenzie as the standout though, and by a fair margin.

He's not nearly as slow as most people have made out in this thread, he's quicker than alot of the guys we've drafted as midfielders in the last few years.

I like Enright as a comparison, he's the same rangy height/build and essentially the same pace, plays a similar role where he drifts in and out of a midfield role and is capable of racking up big numbers. He's a big body that can be thrown around the stoppages/defend on third tall forwards alike, he's also a very good overhead mark.

His big weapon is his kicking....it's more of a huge weapon tbh. I'm struggling to think of a better kick I've seen to a leading target in the last few years. Absolutely spoon feeds any person leading at him within 50 meters, and is bloody lethal forward of center in space.

We don't have a huge amount of elite kicks at the club, he'd go straight to the top of the tree, and I'd be very confident, given the time and space on AFL grounds, especially around half back, he will cut teams up as early as next year.
Bloody Hell.

You make a damn good case for the kid Pykie.

Pykie, is our very own BF recruiter/ talent manager!! :):thumbsu:

Brewis sweats on Pykie's posts. He's like the ratings are to a radio show host...............career making or breaking. Luckily, thus far, the two seem on similar trains of thought.

Brewis sweats on Pykie's posts. He's like the ratings are to a radio show host...............career making or breaking. Luckily, thus far, the two seem on similar trains of thought.

Wow, are Pykie and Brewis Lice one and the same? :eek:

Or are they both just very good spotters of talent?

GWS now have 11 of the first 15 picks.

Anyone else feel as if they are able to 'reach' a little bit to fill some needs, rather than going on best available talent?

If so, seems like we could find ourselves in quite a nice position with only 5 other clubs picking before us.

Anyone else feel as if they are able to 'reach' a little bit to fill some needs, rather than going on best available talent?

If so, seems like we could find ourselves in quite a nice position with only 5 other clubs picking before us.

I was thinking the same myself. I'd say the following will definately be gone before our pick: Coniglio, Patton, Wingard, Tyson, Longer, Hoskin-Elliot and Kavanagh. The rest will be very very hard to predict IMO.

Nick Murphy

Height: 193cm
Weight: 81kg
DOB: 22/03/93
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers (VIC)

Kevin Sheehan says: Nic is a tall forward with strong hands overhead and is a long left foot kick. Talented basketballer who also distributes the football very well. Has kicked 23.6 in 15 matches with the Chargers this year.

murphy.jpg

I want Murph in blue'n'white colours next year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/102351/default.aspx

Don't read to much into this....Clubs speak to a lot of kids at draft camp. But I can confirm that North have spoken to Nic Murphy extensively. He will be a top 30 pick in the draft....his performance in the TAC Grand Final would of got a lot clubs attention.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From limited draft knowledge, these 5 guys seem to be rated the best 5 back flankers in the draft -

Matthew Buntine
Sam Docherty
Brad Mckenzie
Brandon Ellis
Alex Forster

With GWS having 11 of the first 15 picks, surely they'll only take maybe 1 or 2 of those guys? 3 at most, which is very unlikely.
With 6 other teams having a pick before ours, and based on their needs, im pretty confident we'll have a choice of probably 2 of those guys, and if they're all gone, or only 1 left, i'd be pretty confident in a highly rated player having slidden to our pick like Atley last year.

On Nick Murphy - Pretty much non-existant on the drafts board. No mention of him in any of the phantom drafts of the more knowledgeable guys, so not too sure if he'll go top 30? Yeah i know the drafts board isnt the be all and end all, but its a good indication of where players may land

On Nick Murphy - Pretty much non-existant on the drafts board. No mention of him in any of the phantom drafts of the more knowledgeable guys, so not too sure if he'll go top 30? Yeah i know the drafts board isnt the be all and end all, but its a good indication of where players may land

I think he will. I've watch his footy at junior level and for Oakleigh. He has a bit of Kurt Tippet about him. At the least, he'll find his way on a clubs list.

Don't read to much into this....Clubs speak to a lot of kids at draft camp. But I can confirm that North have spoken to Nic Murphy extensively. He will be a top 30 pick in the draft....his performance in the TAC Grand Final would of got a lot clubs attention.

Pass.

He looks like he needs 3 million feeds.

Get some proper food in to these kids.

I'm considering ringing up child welfare.

Now we have Wil, Mullet and Richo contending for spots in the back half, will a HBFlanker still be our no. 1 Priority heading into draft week? I guess we'll have to wait til mondays close on trade week to answer with certainty.

Now we have Wil, Mullet and Richo contending for spots in the back half, will a HBFlanker still be our no. 1 Priority heading into draft week? I guess we'll have to wait til mondays close on trade week to answer with certainty.
the good thing about sirra,mul and richo is that they can play on the wing or hbf.
Think we might still take a hbf with 18 (docherty or mckenzie) or a kpf like jackson paine or a speedy outside player (sumner, devon smith, crozier)

As long as they have the potential to be an elite user of the ball I don't cate which hole they fill. Forwards that can kick goals with confidence, defenders that can pick through zones, mids that can hit up a lead. That's all I ask.

If theres a decent prospect available I would go after a KP.

If anything this trade week has shown how easy it is to top up with Half Back Flankers.

Now that Sierakowski has been added to the list I wouldn't mind getting Mitch Grigg at 18 if he is available. Another tough, ball magnet inside mid, but with a elite left peg. Lacks a yard, but so does Tom Rockliff. Natural footballer of the highest order.

Now that Sierakowski has been added to the list I wouldn't mind getting Mitch Grigg at 18 if he is available. Another tough, ball magnet inside mid, but with a elite left peg. Lacks a yard, but so does Tom Rockliff. Natural footballer of the highest order.

Rockliff was overlooked in his draft and went as a rookie. Shows you how it's possible to overlook real footballer because of perceived athleticism deficiencies.

Rockliff was overlooked in his draft and went as a rookie. Shows you how it's possible to overlook real footballer because of perceived athleticism deficiencies.
Totally. As long as these types have the right attitude and work ethic I reckon most of them make the grade. Look at Patch. Not overly quick, small, but just a bloody good little player with a super work ethic. Grigg looks to me like he will be a gun midfielder despite his deficiencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back