Mega Thread The OFFICIAL 2011 Draft mega thread. Rd 1 - Pick 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other problem is GWS have already dealt out about 8 of the best state league prospects. Plenty more will go in the ND.

There's not going to be much left for us in the way of mature agers or 18yo's.

It's a shame this didn't happen next year.

Urquhart has talent though

Does he?

He's reputed to be a great kick but has never really shown this consistently, he isn't that hard at, he doesn't even get much of the footy at VFL level (while a bloke like Richardson gets it 30 times), doesn't have much awareness and has never really settled into a role. Someone like Gav who has been in the system five years should be at the very least a top VFL player. Compare him to someone like Garlett, who has his deficiencies, but every time he is dropped from the seniors, he works his arse off and dominates the VFL and forces senior selection again.

Gav has zero currency and any expectation of him making an impact at senior level is pure hope. But as he played 4-5 decent games at the start of his career supporters cling on.

Does he?

He's reputed to be a great kick but has never really shown this consistently, he isn't that hard at, he doesn't even get much of the footy at VFL level (while a bloke like Richardson gets it 30 times), doesn't have much awareness and has never really settled into a role. Someone like Gav who has been in the system five years should be at the very least a top VFL player. Compare him to someone like Garlett, who has his deficiencies, but every time he is dropped from the seniors, he works his arse off and dominates the VFL and forces senior selection again.

Gav has zero currency and any expectation of him making an impact at senior level is pure hope. But as he played 4-5 decent games at the start of his career supporters cling on.

gav has natural talent but as you have pointed out hasn't been able to reach his potential yet and doesn't perform consistently however he would be good use to GC who do not have many small defenders especially when you take into consideration that campbell brown only has a few years left.

As i mentioned earlier a trade of pick 40 + urquhart for GC pick 31 is reasonable (essentially GC downgrade their 2nd round pick by 9 spots and get urquhart) and would help free up a list spot for us.

what do you think we should do with urquhart next year then?

Does he?

Good post. I clung on until the start of this year. Now I'm simply another disappointed supporter.

Urquhart has talent though and is still young plus GC don't have many small defenders. brown is close to retirement and besides him they just have toy and harbrow. Pick 40 + Urquhart for pick 31 is very reasonable and i could see it happening

Urquhart is not only terrible and talentless but to suggest that trade insults the intelligence of their entire club. How blind are you? We'd have more chance getting pick 31 by just offering pick 40. He wont be at the club when his contract runs out.

Urquhart is not only terrible and talentless but to suggest that trade insults the intelligence of their entire club. How blind are you? We'd have more chance getting pick 31 by just offering pick 40. He wont be at the club when his contract runs out.

have a rest mate and post again when you aren't feeling as confused:eek:

It would be gav + 40 for 48. We would be paying to not terminate the contract.

There was also talk of getting Maric in the preseason. hopefully that would be a rookie though, otherwise we need to lose another player.

You don't move from 40 to 31 with a player we don't want.

It would be gav + 40 for 48. We would be paying to not terminate the contract.

There was also talk of getting Maric in the preseason. hopefully that would be a rookie though, otherwise we need to lose another player.

You don't move from 40 to 31 with a player we don't want.
You can if the other team wants that player. Which I think GC would seeing as they lack young small defenders.
One teams trash may be another teams treasure.

You can if the other team wants that player. Which I think GC would seeing as they lack young small defenders.
One teams trash may be another teams treasure.

If they do want a small defender, they'll go and get a half decent one, not Urqs.

I know we are looking at someone from Tasmania. I don't know the type or where they'll be taken in the draft. But we have definite interest in somebody down there. I'll put it over to you to come up with the possible targets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dobosz would be the Tasmanian. Mecurial full-forward, who only started playing the game a few years ago.

Scotty actually said we may be interested in him on AFL insider, the package they showed of him was very nice.

I also like the look of Mitch Grigg.

[YOUTUBE]9bi3uI4cXV0[/YOUTUBE]

He may be another inside midfielder but his kicking is likened to Daniel Rich (May not as good but still up there) and when you look at all the finals games they are very much reliant on Contested Ball so i think another inside midfielder particularly of Griggs class would be great for the team.

I also like the look of Mitch Grigg.

[youtube]9bi3uI4cXV0[/youtube]

He may be another inside midfielder but his kicking is likened to Daniel Rich (May not as good but still up there) and when you look at all the finals games they are very much reliant on Contested Ball so i think another inside midfielder particularly of Griggs class would be great for the team.
He also seems to have good spatial awareness too, which is vital in today's highly contested game.

Would love someone with a bit of first hand knowledge of him to post their views. It's so hard to gauge a player based off these 2 minute highlights.

I have read somewhere that he is a bit lazy, although there is no way of confirming.

[YOUTUBE]3Imwc0X9zBg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DlytEe_pIXo[/YOUTUBE]

Let's save the inside mid for an uncontracted Caddy ;)

With GWS having so many picks in the 1st round, does the chance of a good player slipping to 18 increase? Theory being that theyre building a team and won't necesarily be picking the best available

Huge punt, but I've stated it before..... I'd take this bloke with pick 18.
Prepared to get howled down, but star fwds win premierships. Yes u need contested footy, but you need to mark it I50 and convert.
We brought down Jimmy and Phil, let's roll the dice again.

*On a somewhat related side note, I heard my 5 year old pretending to take marks and snap the ball over his shoulder for a goal, commentating simultaneously about himself as Buddy :mad:......kids do luv a star forward though. :rolleyes:

High risk and potentially high reward.

It's a tough one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back