The Official Aussie Rules vs Rugby League Mega Trollfest Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Saying you like rugby league up here is equivalent to saying "No man, I'm not gay, honest!", no one really deep down gives a shit about rugby league. Don't be fooled by the SOO, it's just an excuse to get shitfaced midweek, nothing more, nothing less. All people do during the game(s) is drink piss and talk shit, with the occassional "yahoo" when they bother to notice someone scoring (a score being almost as rare as in soccer).

thats a really interesting assesment, having lived on the gold coast i see it very differently

Really?

From reading several threads in this forum, it would appear this isn't the case.

English Rugby Codes are pretty similar, to people who have zero interest in them why bother getting into details?

thats a really interesting assesment, having lived on the gold coast i see it very differently
It all boils down to passion, I'm seriously yet to see it up here in 18 years. This is of course all relative to passion seen by AFL supporters. A lot of people would die for their AFL club.

It all boils down to passion, I'm seriously yet to see it up here in 18 years. This is of course all relative to passion seen by AFL supporters. A lot of people would die for their AFL club.

true, ive met some hardcore afl supporters at a afl game :eek:
also been to titans games and met some hardcore fans too

i would say no doubt sydney people are lazy with their sporting teams, but take them away ie: Bears even the Tigers/Magpies fans who wont accept the merger, they will never return to the game..

very much a different type of passion between sydney and melb/rl and afl supporters

In fairness to the RL fans on League Unlimited, not many of them are having a shot at the sport (AFL) itself. More the arrogance of Vlad and co, who think that by shoving the game in peoples faces, they'll come to like it.

Have to say that I agree with them. If the NRL based a new team in my back yard, I mean literally in my back yard, I'd draw the curtains and piss off down the pub!

If SA can't support two AFL teams, what hope does NSW have, or Queensland for that matter?

Should have gone to Tassie.

Go to Melbourne, ask random people who they support in the AFL. 9 in 10 will say they support a team. Go to Sydney, ask random people who they support in the NRL, 4 MAYBE 5 in 10 will say they support a team.

I'm yet to meet a passionate rugby league supporter in the 18 years I've lived in QLD, ever. They wouldn't know what passion is up here. Everytime I go to Melbourne I feel as though I'm at home, amongst real people who aren't fake. Everyone wears their colours in Melbourne, barely anyone does up here.

Saying you like rugby league up here is equivalent to saying "No man, I'm not gay, honest!", no one really deep down gives a shit about rugby league. Don't be fooled by the SOO, it's just an excuse to get shitfaced midweek, nothing more, nothing less. All people do during the game(s) is drink piss and talk shit, with the occassional "yahoo" when they bother to notice someone scoring (a score being almost as rare as in soccer).

The funny thing is though, is whenever I've taken "rugby league lovers" to a game of real footy (AFL), they love it! These bogans up here are so closed minded though, show them a live game of footy and they will realised how wrong they've been. The problem is getting them to a game, because as we all know they don't even show up to support their own game. :rolleyes:

That's it brother, keep fighting the cause. As soon as you take someone to a game of AFL they will be converted!

Now how much have the swans and lions acheived in 30 years? Awful TV ratings, not great crowds for one city teams (compared to your Victorian friends, but yes I know the 1 Sydney Swans team can beat the average of one of the 9 Sydney based NRL teams) which are flagging and a few bought premierships from massive salary cap concessions.

The Gazzas will acheive even less.

You are seriously deluded if you think no-one cares about NRL in Queensland. You are seriously deluded full stop! Please don't reply any more, at least the other people here are based on reality, you my friend are in your own universe.

Agree with this.

Your analysis of State of Origin night is dead-on too. Mid-week pissup, nothing more. Most people don't know the player's names, and only turn around to look at the TV when a try gets scored and then pretend that they care. The way the NSW and QLD pollies pretend to care each year is always a laugh too... the moronic league supporters fall for the populist antics every time... "LOL.... the NSW premier has to put the Queensland flag on the harbour bridge! *snort snort*!".

State of Origin, to be fair, was quite a spectacle in the 80s... it is almost entirely irrelevent these days though, and it's sad to see people talk it up as though it still is.

Scorn =/= caring. Coming up with ways to sabotage a team that's apparently just going to fail anyway a la this; that's caring.

LOL, gees they make you laugh over there at LU. One minute they say the AFL's expansion teams are doomed to fail as no one apparently follows AFL in NSW and QLD and next we see a thinktank thread like that on ways to derail the establishment of new AFL teams in NSW and QLD. Fruitcakes the lot of em, but good for a laugh nonetheless. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness to the RL fans on League Unlimited, not many of them are having a shot at the sport (AFL) itself. More the arrogance of Vlad and co, who think that by shoving the game in peoples faces, they'll come to like it.

Have to say that I agree with them. If the NRL based a new team in my back yard, I mean literally in my back yard, I'd draw the curtains and piss off down the pub!

If SA can't support two AFL teams, what hope does NSW have, or Queensland for that matter?

Should have gone to Tassie.
SA can't support two teams (to a degree) because Port Adelaide have got a limited target market, that being their SANFL supporters. People either love them or hate them. Adelaide are so big on their own, there really isn't a lot of support that can be distributed elsewhere. Adelaide has more members than the total number of members for all Sydney NRL teams combined.

I guess you are right. I mean, I get Aussie Rules confused with netball all the time.

The only difference is one sport rewards a team for missing.

Is that all you've got? :eek: Still I guess it's better then the "gayfl" line and other homoerotic nonsense the average English Rugby Code followers spout.

SA can't support two teams (to a degree) because Port Adelaide have got a limited target market, that being their SANFL supporters. People either love them or hate them. Adelaide are so big on their own, there really isn't a lot of support that can be distributed elsewhere. Adelaide has more members than the total number of members for all Sydney NRL teams combined.

This is true, but Port only have the Crows for competition for sponsorship and support. GWS will have the RL teams, a super 14's team and another AFL side. I just can't see it working.

Now how much have the swans and lions acheived in 30 years? Awful TV ratings, not great crowds for one city teams (compared to your Victorian friends, but yes I know the 1 Sydney Swans team can beat the average of one of the 9 Sydney based NRL teams) which are flagging and a few bought premierships from massive salary cap concessions.
Sydney & the Lions both average crowds in excess of Melbourne Storm.

Ina ny case, aren't the NRL clubs in Sydney propped up by the revenue generated by the leagues clubs? Perhaps the National Pokie League is a more apt term - Hopoate woudl have certainly agreed.

This is true, but Port only have the Crows for competition for sponsorship and support. GWS will have the RL teams, a super 14's team and another AFL side. I just can't see it working.
Agree. Why Tasmania doesn't have a team I'll never know. Gold Coast, fair enough, there is quite a lot of AFL support up here as I'm sure juniour participation figures will prove.

Congrats SLF, one of the funniest threads I've ever read.

The only thing these flogs have got going for them is State of Origin, and who did they steal that idea from? :D

If it wasn't for that League would be dead, so where's the love?

Just like the salary cap, draft, finals system, national competition, club memberships, medal for the best player in the GF, the list goes on and on.

The latest two are the Indigenous All-Stars game and an Independent Commission.

Copied the lot.

Are these idiots capable of any original thought?

SA can't support two teams (to a degree) because Port Adelaide have got a limited target market, that being their SANFL supporters. People either love them or hate them. Adelaide are so big on their own, there really isn't a lot of support that can be distributed elsewhere. Adelaide has more members than the total number of members for all Sydney NRL teams combined.[/quote]

Really, got some figures to back that up? How many members to Adelaide have?

Souths - 15,000
Dragons - 10,400
Roosters - 6,600
Bulldogs - 6,500
Tigers - 4,500
Sharks - 4,400
Manly - 4,400
Parramatta - 4,000
Penrith - 3,500

That's 59,300 members.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/membership-not-just-a-number/story-e6frexnr-1225732656229

Do the Adelaide Crows have 59,300 members? Genuine question - I have no idea.

Souths - 15,000
Dragons - 10,400
Roosters - 6,600
Bulldogs - 6,500
Tigers - 4,500
Sharks - 4,400
Manly - 4,400
Parramatta - 4,000
Penrith - 3,500

**** me dead those figures are terrible. :eek: I knew League was a dying code but I didn't realise it was already on life-support.

Souths - 15,000
Dragons - 10,400
Roosters - 6,600
Bulldogs - 6,500
Tigers - 4,500
Sharks - 4,400
Manly - 4,400
Parramatta - 4,000
Penrith - 3,500

That's 59,300 members.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/membership-not-just-a-number/story-e6frexnr-1225732656229

As of July this year they had 46,472. Was just a guess as I knew the Bulldogs had about 6000 members because I remember hearing one of their neanderthals raving about it which gave me a cheap laugh. :D

SA can't support two teams (to a degree) because Port Adelaide have got a limited target market, that being their SANFL supporters. People either love them or hate them. Adelaide are so big on their own, there really isn't a lot of support that can be distributed elsewhere. Adelaide has more members than the total number of members for all Sydney NRL teams combined.[/quote]

Souths - 15,000
Dragons - 10,400
Roosters - 6,600
Bulldogs - 6,500
Tigers - 4,500
Sharks - 4,400
Manly - 4,400
Parramatta - 4,000
Penrith - 3,500

That's 59,300 members.

Those numbers are terrible what an embarrassment.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Official Aussie Rules vs Rugby League Mega Trollfest Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back