The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not going to get too carried away with Paine yet... Long way to go. But that was encouraging.
Better than Karnezis' effort for the Pies this weekend.

He started each centre bounce at half back but sprinted in to the centre contested as a loose man out the back and then spent the majority of the game behind the ball as a roaming midfielder. This is the first week he has spent playing as a genuine defender.
Today it was Bastinac starting the centre bounces at half back.

If the playing group had a bit of arrogance and or laziness about them as had been suggested, surely it has been belted out of them in the past 3 weeks.

Nah, just blame and undermine the coach. Easier than looking within.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This weekend's game give me the perfect excuse to not stay overnight at my parent's place on the weekend. Sunday lunch it is.

One positive to take out of this season is the good form of McStay, Gardiner and Cutler down back. As a rebuilding team it feels really good knowing that our defence is in a really good place long term. I am very, very confident that Andrews, McStay, Gardiner and Cutler will all be terrific long term players for us down back!

One positive to take out of this season is the good form of McStay, Gardiner and Cutler down back. As a rebuilding team it feels really good knowing that our defence is in a really good place long term. I am very, very confident that Andrews, McStay, Gardiner and Cutler will all be terrific long term players for us down back!
Is any of them good enough to take on the gorilla forwards tho? Reckon Gardiner might but think we need another negating forward.

Overheard an old time Hawks fan at the game tonight. He had obviously followed his team for a long time: "the Lions remind me of the Hawks about a year before we started to get our act together. Back when we just couldn't quite make things click. That's what they're like right now. The Lions will be right back up there in a few years."

Overheard an old time Hawks fan at the game tonight. He had obviously followed his team for a long time: "the Lions remind me of the Hawks about a year before we started to get our act together. Back when we just couldn't quite make things click. That's what they're like right now. The Lions will be right back up there in a few years."

So when is "the line in the sand" game?... what ex-players will do the Don Scott and Dermott and come in at halftime and say "Enough is Enough"

For the first time this year, we're off the bottom of the NEAFL ladder. And seeing as next week we're playing the new bottom team, while Gold Coast's topups play top-of-the-table Sydney, we could find ourselves two spots clear next week.

Is any of them good enough to take on the gorilla forwards tho? Reckon Gardiner might but think we need another negating forward.
I don't think so. I think we are still lacking that big bodied defender who can out wrestle the gorillas like Patton from GWS or Hawkins from the Cats. Hopefully Skinner can develop into that player! That doesn't take anything away from Andrews, McStay, Gardiner and Cutler though. They just aren't those types of defenders. They are all so talented and promising and they all look comfortable at AFL level.

Remove this Banner Ad

The positives thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back