The problem with 2024's HTB interpretation

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are at a very very low point when it comes to the holding the ball rule.

As many have said we get about 50 HTB frees per 1000 tackles.

You are way more likely to give away a free for tackling than getting one.

There are a couple of big problems ...

The umpires have now decided to give the player with the ball EVERY chance, ALL the benefit of any doubt when it comes to opportunity. Players are being spun around 720 in the tackle and then getting a hand free for a "handball" and the ump says play-on.

The other one we love is as soon as the ball carrier gets tackled - they drop the ball for no penalty. Hello Melbourne, kings of this ploy.

Then the wondaful - "he made an attempt". Tackled before they get a disposal away, miss the hand / the boot .. play-on.

If you couple all of this with the fact that players can no longer really tackle a player to ground without risk of the player tackled throwing their head near the ground in an attempt to get a free ... or even worse actually being driven into the ground resulting in concussions and suspensions.

It all seems really simple to me.

If you have the ball and you are tackled without getting away a kick or a handball (I'll give em say 3 seconds or 360 degrees to try) - HTB. Ball gets knocked out / dropped - HTB. Put the onus on ball protection when you have it, otherwise don't pick it up.

That's it.

Where are the holes in this proposal? If you see none, we can move onto how to get rid of the dreadful stand rule, binning the 50m penalty (bringing it back to 25m) and automatic time on after a mark :)

Agreed ...

Scott said players are currently being left in a difficult position with holding the ball decisions as they try to find the balance between making a tackle and not injuring the opposition player and risking a suspension.

"At the moment, you're getting a lot more time with the ball and the biggest risk that I see ... is that the players are really clear that they've got to be careful taking a player to ground in the tackle," Scott said.

"At the moment, you can be spun 360 and still get time to get rid of the ball after having prior opportunity ... Jake Kolodjashnij gave up a goal against Carlton two weeks ago where he's holding onto a player. Two years ago he would've taken him to ground, but we're telling him 'don't do that'. The Carlton player just turns around and kicks a goal because Jake can't take him down."

Umpire boss explains holding the ball as debate rages

I hate the “knocked out in the tackle” rubbish, when actually players just drop it.

Umpire boss explains holding the ball as debate rages

I hate the “knocked out in the tackle” rubbish, when actually players just drop it.
Surely this hasn't always been the case?... I'm pretty sure i used to remember them paying htb or illegal disposal when the ball used to get knocked out in the tackle? Or am i going crazy?

Surely this hasn't always been the case?... I'm pretty sure i used to remember them paying htb or illegal disposal when the ball used to get knocked out in the tackle? Or am i going crazy?
Pretty sure the "knocking the ball out" clause used to only apply when the tackler directly hit the ball out of the players hands. Not simply if it spilled out as part of the tackle motion

If they actually paid htb more often players would dispose of the ball quicker knowing it may be paid htb.

Failure to do so at the moment just creates all these stoppages as players know they won’t be penalised.

Now what should also happen is subsequent players that tackle as the third person into the play should be penalised.

Paying HtB is absolutely critical to the way AFL works - this current interpretation is a joke, and messing up the game.

Beyond that, with the desperation to stamp out dangerous tackles, this current interpretation is working directly against that.
That’s the thing, it’s counter intuitive and reading Dillon’s comments he’s a ****wit.

Pay more frees for legitimate holding the ball and dropping the ball is fair as they are actual football frees.

It speeds the game up, reduces congestion and improves player safety.

Instead the AFLs focus is on creating rules or implementing non football rules which just annoy and confuse players, coaches and supporters.

Pay more frees for legitimate holding the ball and dropping the ball is fair as they are actual football frees.

It speeds the game up, reduces congestion and improves player safety.

Instead the AFLs focus is on creating rules or implementing non football rules which just annoy and confuse players, coaches and supporters.
Will also reduce tacking injuries by making quicker decisions.

I no longer have a clue about what is holding the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem with 2024's HTB interpretation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back