Opinion The Race for Pick #1 - It's ours (almost... again....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually agree with you there. My point is that even though someone like Walsh is a jet it has hardly done Carlton any favours, and they are stocked with high draft picks. Getting high draft picks should be the periphery consequence of a rebuild, not something to aspire to.
How can you judge Walshes impact on a club at his age?

He could be a Brownlow Medalist in the future and what club doesn’t want someone with that talent?

It’s not his fault he is surrounded by steaming turds.

Haha I know, I've even posted that twice. But it just removed the kind of nonsense (at least imo) we've seen in this thread where 'fans' actively want us to lose. It goes against everything that being a fan of a footy team is about. A lottery removes some of that farce.
I was one of those posters. I want a flag, I want a lot of them and there is a very unique kind of opportunity right now that can help us do that.

None of us are here with out faces in our beers tonight, because we don't need a win to see where we are headed.

That all changes come next year and the next decade of this youth group - expectations will be finals at a minimum.

Is having a parade too much?

Oh i was, when we pulled within 5 points I lit a candle and prayed to the Gods of sport and freakin bam! Razors turned the tide after he had been quiet for ten minutes.

He was deplorable yet again. I reckon a NMFC footballer at some stage banged his mother.

Well I did make her wear a NMFC guernsey……

Both nutters lolol

at least one of them doesnt have millions of like minded nutter minions just ready to **** the world, or some poor left leaning folk, up.

I’ll leave it up to you to figure out which one

I was one of those posters. I want a flag, I want a lot of them and there is a very unique kind of opportunity right now that can help us do that.

None of us are here with out faces in our beers tonight, because we don't need a win to see where we are headed.

That all changes come next year and the next decade of this youth group - expectations will be finals at a minimum.
Agree, and all I want is to share winning a flag with my kids like I did and if finishing down there helps with that dream bring it on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference is Melbourne were uncompetitive.

So were we - the difference is simply a matter of timing, in that we're 'collecting' the spoon half a year after the run of 2-24 that represents us at our worst. Melbourne were worse for longer, no question (three very poor years in a row, 14th-last-last, before their first - failed - 'rise'), but we're also not exactly out of the woods yet either... the point is less that we're like Melbourne, so much as that the fan mentality here is every bit as misguided as it was there.

To be 100% clear, I'm not unhappy about getting Pick #1 - that's the pick that's warranted for the team that finishes on the bottom. What bothers me is the ridiculous logic that underpins every argument in favour of wanting the result we've now made a certainty - from the absurd paranoia ("we'd better tank, I bet Clarko is scheming hard to get the #1 pick for the Hawks... Adelaide are desperate to prise him from us... GC would do anything to get their grubby hands on him"), to the nuffieish contrarianism present in all fan communities ("actually, losing is better for us long term, and losing really badly would actually be even better" - not far from "all my favourite band's best songs are their B-sides and unreleased live tracks" really), to the meek unwillingness from some to ever spout anything more than self-serving platitudinous positives ("actually, our future is so bright that supporters of all other clubs are super envious of how woeful we are right now and the draft 'rewards' we'll reap")... and, as I was responding to, this bizarre contention that people having poor memories means history shouldn't inform anything. All of it is so utterly garbage that it's worth pushing back against wherever possible.

Ultimately, only one team since 2000 has taken less than ten years to go from the spoon to a premiership (West Coast, 2010 then 2018 - who, just by the by, 'only' got Pick #4 for that ignominy, and he wasn't even playing on the day...). Obviously it'd be fantastic if we could buck that trend, bound up the ladder over the next couple of years and win multiple flags in the '20s. Now that we're definitely finishing last, I'd like that to be true as much as anyone else here - though, as I've said elsewhere, whilst there are plenty of positives that point to imminent improvement, we're not nearly as worthy of the hype as some seem to think we are. But it is absolutely mental that anyone with any semblance of an understanding of how these things actually work would wilfully seek out a last-place finish; the whole thing is predicated on hollow fantasy.

I wasn’t barracking for us to lose at any point this year. I was simply pointing out that i thought it was bizarre how many people on here cared that others wanted us to. After having to have endure this back and forth with you I certainly regret saying anything at all
I am trying to work out why you care so much that we did not want to lose

Competition is very even, no team has tanked and we've the best young group since the early 90s that have shown incredible improvement from season start. Many here and in the media were questioning if we were the worst team to ever play, now they're asking if we're the best to ever finish last. Not sure how anyone cant be happy with the efforts of our players to turn it around so quickly.

Competition is very even, no team has tanked and we've the best young group since the early 90s that have shown incredible improvement from season start. Many here and in the media were questioning if we were the worst team to ever play, now they're asking if we're the best to ever finish last. Not sure how anyone cant be happy with the efforts of our players to turn it around so quickly.
So are you for finishing last? Happy we finished last with a good list? Not having a go, just confused by your messaging.

Not sure why people are still blabbering on about us finishing last, whether people wanted us to get the spoon or not we as spectators could never change the outcome. Its happened, time to get over it. Hopefully we get a great kid from it that will propel our team into finals for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back