Opinion The Shield and Ribbon: Updating the Sacred

Remove this Banner Ad

"Our crest’s legacy is stronger than ever, but it’s time for the next generation to carry the torch."

What does that even mean?

Our branding is strong but we're going to change it for the next generation.
Who is asking for this?
Its a very good question I feel.

Long term branding is worth its weight in gold and really is not something that should be discarded flippantly. The crest isn't the boldest of icons but its tradition goes back a long way and its still a visually appealing and easily recognizable symbol of the club.

Thing is, I doubt its going to be that much of a re-brand anyway. It's unlikely to be as vastly different as the 1980's stickman shield (which was a byproduct of the VFL mandate for templated logos for all clubs anyway) so you got to ask if it really is worth it then.

If it just ends up being a logo used on merch and club posters/afl related stuff it wont be that big a deal but if it is designed to replace the jumper crest and the "true" club symbol Im going to call it a bad idea.

"Our crest’s legacy is stronger than ever, but it’s time for the next generation to carry the torch."

What does that even mean?

Our branding is strong but we're going to change it for the next generation.
Who is asking for this?
It means we're changing our motto to "Sigma Through Rizz"

why not send it out for members to review and comment.

I believe that is part of what this is, as this is a pre screening before public release, ergo if there is mad "purge this with fire" energy, they'll of course reconsider scenarios.

There'd have been a focus group involved, to gauge against, so say the groups often thanked before player sponsors at events for example who are not club related but are above the general member/supporter.

I mean for all any of us know, it'll launch, be poorly received by all and sundry, it'll then be reverted midway through next year if say this reveal is a whole walk out straight abort it scenario moving forward. As it'd be a marketing nightmare to continue with the design.

I believe that is part of what this is, as this is a pre screening before public release, ergo if there is mad "purge this with fire" energy, they'll of course reconsider scenarios.

There'd have been a focus group involved, to gauge against, so say the groups often thanked before player sponsors at events for example who are not club related but are above the general member/supporter.

I mean for all any of us know, it'll launch, be poorly received by all and sundry, it'll then be reverted midway through next year if say this reveal is a whole walk out straight abort it scenario moving forward. As it'd be a marketing nightmare to continue with the design.
They do worry me with things like this. Then again I’ve liked most of the new jumper designs so,hopefully it goes as well as they have.

Good catch. There's a version of that logo with Wilkie in it, and it is fully silver (instead of red). Then there's this pivture of Wilkie with the cross behind him. I wonder if the logo will be a white version of that shield, with this red cross in it?
The bottom point of the cross is the same shape as the bottom of the logo, I haven't checked to see if the taper of the sides of the cross line up with the shield. It looks like it does, but a little lower. Perhaps leaving room for "St Kilda Saints" across the top.
No doubt they will remove the St. K. F. C.

View attachment 2148239
Can someone draw this without Wilkie. The Red Cross on the solid black background wit St Kilda in white same font on a black band.
I think that’ll go close. And I like it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be very shocked if it was anything more a refinement to have it look a bit more modern.

Other clubs have updated their logo over the last 10 or so and they’ve all blended the heritage and new age design quite well - Richmond, Sydney, Collingwood the standouts but the others are still decent too.

The Bombers logo on the other hand looks very “2000s” and outdated and their 150 logo wasn’t much to write home about either.

I’m expecting we’ll have something similar to the 150 year logo which I thought was great with the wreath over the ribbon.

Guarantee people would say we’re ripping off the Bombers if we go for red on black

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah I thought that. I think it’ll have the top half bordered in white

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The Shield and Ribbon: Updating the Sacred

Remove this Banner Ad

Back