The Trade Thread (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, and now that the Clark to Freo deal's fallen through, does anyone think they might start hunting us for players to bring over? Rumours seemed to be rife before and at the start of trade week of a deal with Freo, but it seems to have died down. I don't really want to deal with Freo (I don't think anyone does at the moment), but we could get a nice deal done.

And the fact that he's done sweet FA outside of matching Courtney Johns to be compared to a bloke touted as an Irish Wayne Carey. Has never been a prolific goal kicker, has never been a prolific ball getter, has never been anything but a bit part "could be, should be, but isn't" type of player.

I'd be severely unhappy if the club accepted a deal for a straight swap with him, mind you we did have Ferguson on our list for a time, great mark, couldn't do crap else really, so I suppose we could always go back down that road if you guys think we should.

What if we offered Tommy for White, would the take the deal?

Assuming talking Sydney's White there, I'd say a hesitant no.
Simply based on the fact that White is really our only developing KPF after trading out Johnston, so having no fall back option would be a tad concerning.
And against popular mob opinion White has actually played some goodish games at AFL level.

But I'd say with Walsh wanting to come to us we've guaranteed him games next year, so deal may get done for that?

Besides which, why on earth would we pay overs? Walsh is a 23 year old rookie listed player that wants out. You guys don't have any bargaining power at all. We can just offer him an immense 1 year deal and pick him up in the PSD. Nobody else will touch him if he wants to go to Sydney and his price is that high. We can then pay him peanuts for the next two years.

We have a pick before you in the PSD so there goes that theory. Even if you structure up a deal as you're proposing, you'd have to pay him 500-600k in the first season for it to be effective. Not going to happen.

Oh, and now that the Clark to Freo deal's fallen through, does anyone think they might start hunting us for players to bring over?

Not sure what they'll do, as they'd banked alot on the Clark deal going through.

"Do I think I stuffed another trade up?"

"Yes, I do"

Tempting to try and pick off a couple of Saints who might move for better deals (assume they'd cleared a fair bit of room to accommodate Clark).

Not sure what they'll do, as they'd banked alot on the Clark deal going through.

"Do I think I stuffed another trade up?"

"Yes, I do"

Tempting to try and pick off a couple of Saints who might move for better deals (assume they'd cleared a fair bit of room to accommodate Clark).

Might be good news for my friends brother from frankson. Guess which WAFL club he's signed with next year.

We have a pick before you in the PSD so there goes that theory. Even if you structure up a deal as you're proposing, you'd have to pay him 500-600k in the first season for it to be effective. Not going to happen.

Yes, that win in the elimination final could come back to bite Sydney onn the bum. lol.

We'd have the pick before them. So Tommy would have to price himself above the odds.

Would they pay it for an untried player?

Tommy might just get his bluff called.

Might be good news for my friends brother from frankson. Guess which WAFL club he's signed with next year.

Wow. 3 year deal. Surely not Lyon influenced (otherwise why didn't they rookie him which would have saved alot of ruck heartache in the VFL with Rhys, Darch and Walsh)?

Good luck to him. Rixy had 700+ hitouts this year over there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, that win in the elimination final could come back to bite Sydney onn the bum. lol.

We'd have the pick before them. So Tommy would have to price himself above the odds.

Would they pay it for an untried player?

Tommy might just get his bluff called.

Equally if you can't convince him to actually "want" to stay at St Kilda would you really take a player that doesn't want to be there?

I assume we have pretty much gauranteed him a spot in our 22 if he has said he wants to come to us, since historically its what we do with most players we chase.

So wouldn't think its impossible for us to be offering a 3yr deal worth 600k/700k or so if we think he will be a best 22 player.

Might structure, 500, 100, 100 or similar if need be to secure his services?

Frankly I'd love him at the Swans.

Wow. 3 year deal. Surely not Lyon influenced (otherwise why didn't they rookie him which would have saved alot of ruck heartache in the VFL with Rhys, Darch and Walsh)?

Good luck to him. Rixy had 700+ hitouts this year over there.

Think he might be hoping for one with Freo, but maybe Lyon will veto it, because surely Pav or someone can ruck if they need it.:rolleyes:
( The weird thing is that the first thing RL did at StKilda was a desperate grab for ruckmen ).

( I knew about it before Lyon would have known about it ( i hope), put a hint one of the threads ).

Equally if you can't convince him to actually "want" to stay at St Kilda would you really take a player that doesn't want to be there?

Certainly should. There have been many examples of people wanting out, not getting the deal done and then playing well the next year (you guys had one IIRC).

And at very worst we stop a potential gun that we developed hurting us elsewhere.

Certainly should. There have been many examples of people wanting out, not getting the deal done and then playing well the next year (you guys had one IIRC).

And at very worst we stop a potential gun that we developed hurting us elsewhere.

Don't think any of those went to the PSD and were re-picked up, I know atleast in our example of Ryan O'Keefe noone offered a reasonable pick for him and he decided instead of PSD he'd resign with the club.

Exactly, playing badly wouldnt help a player in that situation.

ROK has already been mentioned.

But sorry, if you intend to put up that sort of money for someone who hasn't played a single game... then good luck to you.

History is littered with players who wanted a trade but never got it. Thenn went on to play good footy.

The new coach is a spanner in the wheel for you guys. A self-confessed developer, I doubt he'll let a good talent go from the club without a fight.

But still I don't like the idea of guaranteeing players a regular game. Too risky unless they are esteblished.

Just curious with supporters who want him... how many games have they seen him play at Sandy to warrant the excitement?

I assume we have pretty much gauranteed him a spot in our 22 if he has said he wants to come to us, since historically its what we do with most players we chase.

So wouldn't think its impossible for us to be offering a 3yr deal worth 600k/700k or so if we think he will be a best 22 player.

Might structure, 500, 100, 100 or similar if need be to secure his services?

Frankly I'd love him at the Swans.

Would we? Your cap is so tight that you can't afford to upgrade Walsh. As I understand it, you can only keep him on as a rookie, at a rookie salary ($30K IIRC), only half of which is counted towards the cap.

We offer Walsh $300K next year, that's essentially $285K your club has to pull out of its arse in order to match the deal. You sure they can accommodate that? How tight is the cap, exactly? You haven't exactly offloaded any huge names this trade week.

Would we? Your cap is so tight that you can't afford to upgrade Walsh. As I understand it, you can only keep him on as a rookie, at a rookie salary ($30K IIRC), only half of which is counted towards the cap.

We offer Walsh $300K next year, that's essentially $285K your club has to pull out of its arse in order to match the deal. You sure they can accommodate that? How tight is the cap, exactly? You haven't exactly offloaded any huge names this trade week.

If we can't afford to upgrade Walsh then he's gone. And I don't think anyone here will try to stop him.

But where did you hear that? Surely one of the first things we'd have done is upgrade Walsh to a senior spot. If we don't have enough money to upgrade Walsh's contract by the bare minimum then how are we supposed to keep anyone else on the list?

FWIW, I think our salary cap is probably gonna be close to full but I seriously doubt it's as bad as everyone is saying. Otherwise we surely would have offloaded a few players by now. Why wait till the last day of trade week if we're completely fecked?

bloodstainedangel5 - please don't harp on with your ill-informed opinions.

We did the work to identify him and recruit him.
We have put 2 years of quality work into his AFL education.
We have nurtured him into a fairly decent footballer.

The Saints have been in negotiations to promote Walsh for some time.
We know what he has been paid, what he is now worth, and we are keen to reap the rewards of all the work we have put into him.

Sydney FC on the other hand have done nothing except throw the promise of money his way.

If your club wins out, it will not be because of the sweat of your brow, but the fatness of your wallet. Are you proud of this? This is the moral equivalent of Carlton FC.

We Sainters are not pleased with your bleatings on this board. We are aware of the situation and are not eager to hear your erroneous take on it. Go away and post on your own board.

You have been warned.

Just wait until tomorrow afternoon and all will be reveiled. We traded out Lynch who would have been on around 300k. We traded 2 rookies in and we want to keep Walsh. I guarantee that at least 1 more saints player will be traded tomorrow. I'm tipping either Gram or Ray. Both of which would be on some decent coin, if this happens I hope we can afford to pay Walsh what he wants.

bloodstainedangel5 - please don't harp on with your ill-informed opinions.

We did the work to identify him and recruit him.
We have put 2 years of quality work into his AFL education.
We have nurtured him into a fairly decent footballer.

The Saints have been in negotiations to promote Walsh for some time.
We know what he has been paid and we are keen to reap the rewards of all the work we have put into him.

Sydney FC on the other hand have done nothing except throw the promise of money his way.

If your club wins out, it will not be because of the sweat of your brow, but the fatness of your wallet. Are you proud of this? This is the moral equivalent of Carlton FC.

We Sainters are not pleased with your bleatings on this board. We are aware of the situation and are not eager to hear your erroneous take on it. Go away and post on your own board.

You have been warned.

I think your frustration is justified, I mean we've had Crows supporters gloating left right and centre about a player who most of them probably have never seen. If (and I still believe it's a big if) we secure Walsh I hope no Sydney supporters come here to troll.

On the bolded part, you're being a tad dramatic. Players are traded all the time, no team has a list of players who were only developed by them and when you get a chance to grab a promising KPP you should do it.

I will be proud of the Swans if we manage to secure Walsh as it would be a smart move, but of course the Saints will rightly feel cheated after the work they've put in.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Trade Thread (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back