The Trade Thread (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Complete novice when it comes to what each player is worth, and I have no idea what rookies are usually paid but it couldn't be more than 200K could it? Walsh leaving wouldn't help the Saints much, but it could mean we have an offer that he likes the look of.

Complete novice when it comes to what each player is worth, and I have no idea what rookies are usually paid but it couldn't be more than 200K could it? Walsh leaving wouldn't help the Saints much, but it could mean we have an offer that he likes the look of.

He is probably different being international and 2nd/3rd year, but under the current CBA 1st year rookies get something shocking like $30k.

Considering how high the minimum listed wage is the rookie pay is shocking.

These guys have to train extra hard, full time. They should at least get 50k so they can live off it.

They should at least get 50k so they can live off it.

$50k is proposed under the new CBA (hasn't been any real debate about this, so assume it will get through).

Wow I was way off.

Not really. The Saints offered him a contract on the main list. Would involve substantially more money. The Swans bidding has now made it a cap issue. Geez, thanks!

Been negotiating since mid season. Makes you wonder how long ago he decided he wanted out for more opportunity...

Been negotiating since mid season. Makes you wonder how long ago he decided he wanted out for more opportunity...

When Lyon said the first time that he was frustrated, it may have prompted him to wonder how many games he would have played at another club. Lyon repeated it 4-6 weeks later. Maybe by then other clubs had started contacting his management. If Adelaide had been watching Lynch for a long time (sounds like more than just this year), who knows how long Sydney have been monitoring Walsh.

Didn't see this posted elsewhere. The headline seems a bit confused:

St Kilda refuses to budge on Sam Gilbert and Tommy Walsh

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-and-tommy-walsh/story-fn69a32t-1226167495031

St Kilda was standing firm on in-demand players Jason Gram and Tommy Walsh, despite receiving offers for both.

Sydney continues to push hard to secure Irishman Walsh, while more than one rival club has made a genuine play to snare Gram.

"Because Jason is contracted our preference is for him to stay at the club. He certainly hasn't been put on the table ... but we're mindful of the fact that we've got restrictions and constraints," Pelchen said.

"There's certainly been interest shown. We've made it clear to clubs who have made inquiries that he is contracted. If they want to discuss Jason, OK, we'll listen to what they put forward."

Walsh, who is yet to make his AFL debut since crossing from Ireland in 2009, wants to join the Swans after they promised him greater opportunity.

Gilbert must be confused with Gram...

Agree with our stances. Grammy stays, but if we get a good enough offer, we'll deal. Walsh stays at all costs. Dempster also stays, would be absolutely absurd not to sign him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Listening to the first few minutes of Watters' presser... he talked about contending and rebuilding at the same time.

Don't know why, but I am steeling for something radical on Monday. won't be surpised to see a good player traded.

But tend to agree, you keep your best but if a good deal comes up, you take it and move on.

Sure we want Walsh to stay and he won't make cap space, but if something good comes, you take it.

Listening to the first few minutes of Watters' presser... he talked about contending and rebuilding at the same time.

Don't know why, but I am steeling for something radical on Monday. won't be surpised to see a good player traded.

But tend to agree, you keep your best but if a good deal comes up, you take it and move on.

Sure we want Walsh to stay and he won't make cap space, but if something good comes, you take it.
I got more of the impression he wants to keep the young kids and the stars. I think at least one of Ray or Peake will go.

What if we offered Tommy for White, would the take the deal?

TWR say we've had offers for Dawson, Ray and Gram, but none making us stand up and say wow.

Just on the Clark trade, massive win for all clubs. Fremantle fail and it sucks up Melbourne's salary cap, would've been dangerous if Melb walked into Trade Week next year with $1mill +.

TWR say we've had offers for Dawson, Ray and Gram, but none making us stand up and say wow.

Struggling with this one. Why would another club come up with a wow when we're on record saying we need to take some action (and that there would be players moving from the club).

What's a wow for Zac? I'm not even sure.

A bit more posturing then a late scramble to do some deals (some clubs have been suspiciously quiet)?

Kosi to CHB was an amazing suggestion. A true visionary.

We're probably getting offers of picks we might not use. So not much difference between holding out and losing them for nothing and trading them off for picks we won't use much like King and Gardiner. Of course the latter is a nicer way to go about it, but the former leaves open the possibility of an acceptable late offer.

We'll budge sooner or later i feel. As much as they'd like to, they're not going to stick around for minimum wage when there's clubs out there who will pay them more.

I've noticed the influx of pre pubescent callers. The other day a caller that must have been around twelve years old asked them who won the Brownlow :D

That was a joke call, they hung up immediately after, just before the lad said he was gunning for a list management spot in 2020 with a giggle, this is followed up by Saints [strike]supporter[/strike] [strike]member[/strike] guy with tatts & number plate was of opinion piss Dawson and Ray off, keep Gram, throw Kosi at CHB and don't worry about that FF position or who then takes FB or that midfield rotation, she'll be right bye fellas.

Edit: Dawson hate on TWR? Way to let down the fraternity fellas.

not much difference between holding out and losing them for nothing and trading them off for picks we won't use much like King and Gardiner.

Would of thought that clubs would be offering better than pick 50 for each of the guys, and I'd hope for better than 40 (still not sure what a wow is), which would surely be used.

Remember that Adelaide has parted with 37 for Lynch, who isn't yet at the standard of the other guys.

Pretty much my thoughts as well, a 3rd rounder is meh, you're looking mid 2nd otherwise it's simply not advantageous to trade when you won't be using it and getting nothing anyway. Sure it's not the "fair" option with regards to players but since when has the business really been fair to begin with? Clubs simply attempt to get players where they want to go if it's beneficial to both and if not, well we tried and too bad, stick around or try the draft.

Out of the list people have been shortlisting (Ray, Gram & Dawson) I would ave thought Gram would be worth less, Dawson more (KP stocks being low after the first 10ish) and Ray slightly higher than him that Dawson & Ray would be around the 2nd round with Gram as the 3rd-4th rounder if clubs were "serious" in their interest.

I'd imagine that a early-mid second round pick is what we'd be after if we really wanted to get a deal done with those guys.

Not sure we're going to get anything that says 'wow' though. I wonder what value we have them at.

I think that if we're offered something around 37 then I'd pounce. Don't want these guys walking out for nothing or next to nothing, which they might do if we don't get a deal done soon and need to clear room under the cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Trade Thread (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back