The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Gravity batteries coming to Australia

Energy vault have different solutions.
Does that say anything about Gravity?

Energy vault have different solutions.
Does that say anything about Gravity?

They have 2 gravity batteries being built in Texas and China.. I assumed that the Australia battery would be gravity. Looks like it’s not.. but hopefully they build one here.

That sounds very right wing libertarian of you.

I believe we live better lives together as a community that helps and relies on each other. This includes food production, public transport and infrastructure, police, health, education, child care and energy supply. Economics, morality and neuroscience all back up my view.

Self sufficiency is bad for so many reasons.
Tell me how households generating their own power at near zero marginal cost is bad. What's libertarian about it? Are people who grow their own vegies libertarian too?

At the moment its a gimmick to get people in. That won't be the case when demand goes up.
Workplaces won't be paying electricity unless they have their own glut of solar.
You know that fast chargers need a certain amount of electrical infrastructure, who will be paying for that infrastructure at local parks?

Even Supermarkets and shopping centres , where they seem a good idea, because at least you aren't sitting on your arse waiting in the car, may struggle with increased demand.
How many charging stations do you think they will install. 100? 500?
How many cars are normally parked at Westfield shopping centres?

Petrol stations shutting down already

China is building 10GW of renewable energy per fortnight (that's how much the Libs Nuclear plan is).
And 1GW of pumped hydro every month. (Snowy Hydro is 2GW total).

Soon it will be cleaner to have things manufactured in China rather than in Australia, if it isn't already.

China is building 10GW of renewable energy per fortnight (that's how much the Libs Nuclear plan is).

Soon it will be cleaner to have things manufactured in China rather than in Australia, if it isn't already.

its a lot, but the headline is a out there.

"
Renewables have a "capacity factor" (the ratio of actual output to maximum potential generation) of about 25 per cent, whereas nuclear's is as high as 90 per cent.

So although China is installing solar and wind generation equivalent to five large nuclear power plants per week, their output is closer to one nuclear plant per week. "

If we are talking in absolutes, " What are China's emissions and how do they compare to Australia's? In 2020, China emitted 13.8 gigatonnes of carbon dioxide and equivalent greenhouse gases. That's 13,800,000,000 tonnes. By comparison, Australia emitted 512 megatonnes, which is 512,000,000 tonnes. "

its a lot, but the headline is a out there.

"
Renewables have a "capacity factor" (the ratio of actual output to maximum potential generation) of about 25 per cent, whereas nuclear's is as high as 90 per cent.

So although China is installing solar and wind generation equivalent to five large nuclear power plants per week, their output is closer to one nuclear plant per week. "

If we are talking in absolutes, " What are China's emissions and how do they compare to Australia's? In 2020, China emitted 13.8 gigatonnes of carbon dioxide and equivalent greenhouse gases. That's 13,800,000,000 tonnes. By comparison, Australia emitted 512 megatonnes, which is 512,000,000 tonnes. "
China exports $4 trillion in goods every year.
Australia exports $424bn in goods. If you take out coal and petroleum, then it's ~$250bn.

Per Capita, we're still 33% higher than China for emissions.

China will never, ever reach Australia's current per capita emissions levels as they stand today. But it doesn't stop fossil fuel supporters pointing at China and saying "they're so big and have some coal plants, so we shouldn't bother".

The point is that it's still cheaper to install 20x more solar than the equivalent in nuclear. Even if it's only 25% as efficient, you still get more power, as long as you can store some.

No wonder the LNP want to keep coal going in Australia.. Gina needs someone to buy it and in a few years it won’t be China

(Log in to remove this ad.)

China exports $4 trillion in goods every year.
Australia exports $424bn in goods. If you take out coal and petroleum, then it's ~$250bn.

Per Capita, we're still 33% higher than China for emissions.

China will never, ever reach Australia's current per capita emissions levels as they stand today. But it doesn't stop fossil fuel supporters pointing at China and saying "they're so big and have some coal plants, so we shouldn't bother".

The point is that it's still cheaper to install 20x more solar than the equivalent in nuclear. Even if it's only 25% as efficient, you still get more power, as long as you can store some.

Of course we're higher per capita.
We need to abandon those country towns and all live in shoeboxes.
You were comparing China's renewable build to Australias.

China must contribute to a good chunk of the global shipping CO2 emissions. Those are higher than Australia.
Does any country take ownership of those emissions?

Bumping the OP

The real reason?

Its understandable.
If you are a capitalist and you have a Gas Power station, and everyone is doing anything they can to avoid using your power station, then when its Gas or Nothing, you gouge for profit.
The inflated gas prices, due to shipping so much of it offshore don't help either.

In Victoria the government owned SEC was a sideshow, but i still think that re-form would have been a better solution than Privatisation.

Its understandable.
If you are a capitalist and you have a Gas Power station, and everyone is doing anything they can to avoid using your power station, then when its Gas or Nothing, you gouge for profit.
The inflated gas prices, due to shipping so much of it offshore don't help either.

In Victoria the government owned SEC was a sideshow, but i still think that re-form would have been a better solution than Privatisation.

The biggest issue is renewables are being blamed, when’s it a rigged market.

There is another spike predicted tonight… it will probably disappear but if it doesn’t I’ll expect the government will have to step in a put the cap on again.
I’ve almost wiped out my winter usage costs in the last 3 nights selling my battery back to the grid.

The EV price war is in full swing … you’d have to be an idiot to buy a new petrol car with the prices and options now available in the EV range.

comrade Dutton will
Have to stop people from using their car batteries to Lower their power usage at night, and force them to buy nuclear power!!!!

EVs will be portable power packs that will shift daytime solar to night time usage. EVs will stabilise the grid.
Exciting times …

The EV price war is in full swing … you’d have to be an idiot to buy a new petrol car with the prices and options now available in the EV range.

MG's are cheap because they are a cheap brand. The premium on the electric version remains around $15000.
Just referring to every IC vehicle as a "crappy old" then suggesting MG, is bullshit.
( Mind you i think the likes of Volkswagon are very overrated compared to Mazda/Toyota ).

That guy scares me a bit, he has no semblance of a balanced opinion.

MG's are cheap because they are a cheap brand. The premium on the electric version remains around $15000.
Just referring to every IC vehicle as a "crappy old" then suggesting MG, is bullshit.
( Mind you i think the likes of Volkswagon are very overrated compared to Mazda/Toyota ).

That guy scares me a bit, he has no semblance of a balanced opinion.

Mg have 10 year warranty and 250,000 kilometers.. (lifetime warranty on battery in Thailand)
so yer ICE vehicles are crap in comparison ..
August price for MG4 excite is $37990.

MG4 car of the year according to Carsales.com.au

Mg have 10 year warranty and 250,000 kilometers.. (lifetime warranty on battery in Thailand)
so yer ICE vehicles are crap in comparison ..
August price for MG4 excite is $37990.

MG4 car of the year according to Carsales.com.au

Car warranties are a marketing decision.
Car Sales are a sales platform.

Not a MG driver I’ll bet

I've bought and liked crappy brand cars before. So i'd consider an MG. I bought a Proton S16 to drive to work in, because it was the cheapest new car in Australia, wasn't a total microhatch, and we already had a "good" family car .
I liked it. Not much went wrong with it ( my son now drives it ).
Not sure i'd have liked it if I'd paid Double for the same thing electrified. Its wasn't the engine that was "cheap" about it.

I'd still choose a hybrid over either option at the moment for my current circumstances.

And in a line of work where long drives on highways were required, there'd be reasons relating to driving range and recharging times why a company would purchase petrol-fuelled cars over hybrids or EVs, particularly the lower-priced EVs which are likely to have even less range.

Whilst its great that EV options are increasing, and I hope they continue to become more affordable, your statement regarding purhasing decisions could be more flexible. Not everyone's circumstances are the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

The war against renewable energy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back