This time next week (dated Tuesday 20 August, 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

hidden

Rookie
Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Time for us to all sit back and chill for a week or so!

This time next week we, as supporters, will hopefully start to see what changes will be implemented next year from a coach(es) and players perspective. Assistant coaches who are being moved on will already know their fate (best for players if not notified until after last game), some players will be told that there will be no renewing of contract, some will be told that they are on thin ice and final decision will be based on how we go between now and when final teams have to be submitted with AFL.

Maybe the coach will be gone? The other footy personnel behind the scenes (e.g. recruiting staff etc.) may have been already told or will be told once they have fulfilled their responsibilities over the next month or so.

Anyone who is going to be moved on will suffer in some way. It is no different to any of us being given a redundancy notice etc. None of us would like it if we were put off and everyone started saying "about bloody time, he was useless". Just as we would like to be shown some respect, we as supporters, need to show it to those who will be out of a job and looking for another one.

Let's now sit back and see what unfolds over this period and hope that the future is brighter than what we have experienced over the past 15 years or so.

Hopefully this time next week:

• Van Berlo, Burns, Kelly moved on
  • Roo stands down as Director of Football, to be replaced by Neil Balme
  • Decent Senior Assistant coach announced
  • Keane, Berry and McHenry ask for Trades to Pies, Dees and Bulldogs respectively
  • Luko asks for a trade to us, as does ANB
  • Port dealing with the fall out from their horror loss in the West, with as many as 5 players suspended for sniping...

One can only dream anyway....

It's a public forum, but we discuss and give our frank assessments as if they're not present. For their own sake, I hope coaches and officials don't read Bigfooty.
If I got paid $500k plus to do a shit job I definitely wouldn't read about how shit I was.

Don't worry they're not here.

Nicks is sitting smugly on a contract for a FURTHER two years despite the disaster of this season.

We will be on a seven years streak of no finals but if you're going to miss finals, miss them by a lot so you maximise draft pick values.

Despite the best efforts of Nicks, we have unearthed some more talent this season, a lot of upside in a number of young players.

Some older players, and some not so old, are past their best 22 use by date. We all know who they are, it's up to Nicks to bite the bullet.

I think the list is in good shape to advance up the table, but we've got a huge trade period and a critical ND for this list.

I thought assistants had to be told by a certain time?
Has that passed?
Are we not making any changes?
Didn't you hear.
Silvers has done an internal review of the whole club and has found everyone is doing a splendid job.
No changes required.
Stacked midfield
Impressive leadership group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully this time next week:

• Van Berlo, Burns, Kelly moved on
  • Roo stands down as Director of Football, to be replaced by Neil Balme
  • Decent Senior Assistant coach announced
  • Keane, Berry and McHenry ask for Trades to Pies, Dees and Bulldogs respectively
  • Luko asks for a trade to us, as does ANB
  • Port dealing with the fall out from their horror loss in the West, with as many as 5 players suspended for sniping...

One can only dream anyway....
If we had anything resembling competent management, Olsen would walk in on Monday morning and ask when Balme starts.
When he gets the response that we haven't spoken to him, everyone from Silvers down should be immediately sacked.

Do you really think we are a chance? I feel like we are the Dynasty that's now passed it's best
The competition has certainly evened out in the AFLW.

We still have the best, or close to the best midfield in the AFLW. Still have some big strengths in Ruck and KeyPP players.
Things need to go right to win it - some of the younger women need to improve to their potential, fill in the gaps.

Definitely can be another premiership year, crows will be around the pointy end again.

I like the appointment of Tim Paine.
I'm hopefully he may get us off the bottom

But like the Crows, it is more of an organisational issue
SACA/Crows
titanic night GIF

Do you really think we are a chance? I feel like we are the Dynasty that's now passed it's best
I think so, yes. We were a genuine chance last year, losing in the finals to the eventual grand finalists by 1 point and 2 points respectively.

We still have essentially the same team as last year other than McKinnon, Button and Bonner. McKinnon is a loss, but the latter two aren't really important. Almost all of our important players are still in their 20s, with only Chelsea Randall (33), Stevie-Lee Thompson (32) and Najwa Allen (30) on the wrong side of it. (And Varnhagen at 32, but she's depth at best). Arguably our three best players in Marinoff, Hatchard and Sarah Allan are all still just 26 years old. Ponter is only 24. From last year's draft, we've added in Brooke Boileau who looks like she will be able to come in straight away.

North is the big threat. Brisbane is always there or thereabouts. Melbourne seem to have dropped away a bit, having lost a bunch of players. Then there are the up-and-coming teams who will close the gap, but are unlikely to overtake the top teams just yet. We should be very much in the mix.

The biggest concerns at this stage are Najwa Allen out with a hamstring injury, Charlton with a foot injury, and Ballard still not back from her ACL injury. All should be able to play by the pointy end of the season.

I am expecting us to make a prelim final at a minimum. From there, who knows?

Last edited:
Didn't you hear.
Silvers has done an internal review of the whole club and has found everyone is doing a splendid job.
No changes required.
Stacked midfield
Impressive leadership group
It was so hard hitting that I'm surprised I forgot about THAT review.

Painted a picture of the AFC being a lot like Camelot

Remove this Banner Ad

This time next week (dated Tuesday 20 August, 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back