Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Has to be a day to celebrate :cool:

AS good as Adelaide were the West Coast was poor .........most importantly thru the midfield where with Kerr pretty well held by Doughty .....the lacked players who could break thru the lines.

Strabgely Priddis had some 29 possessions ......yet you could hardly call him dangreous.

Most important aspect of today is .........Tippett not being seriously injured!!!!!

last qtr and a bit were actually a bit boring as all the sting went out the game .......it was also Vinces best period ....but that's another story.

Thompson:
After a quiet game last week he was back to the way he can play.
And we needed him after losing Reilly.

Porplyzia:
Well now the media are calling him a star .......another great effort.

Behind Thompson clearly our best midfield player ....his hands in tight extracts, yet he can still run as an outside receiver and deliver pinpoint 40 mtr passes.

His kicks are generally low in trajectory ........reduced hang tim and perfect delivery to forwards.

He's a great mark .....so almost the complete package (just missing speed).

Bock:
Last week Craig allowed Bock to be dragged away from the play.

Today Bock set us numerous attacks ........Hansen has been our bogeyman over the last 2 seasons .....it's great to see him get pantzed.

Goodwin:
Still remains one of the best one touch marks I have seen for a player of his size.

Great flexibility as we can interchange him and Macleod from defence to attack ....and also run him still in the midfield ....what an asset.

Tippett:
Already he is getting more attention from opposing coaches ...after 2 games :eek:

Would suggest he'll miss next week and we'll see Sellar against Port.

Symes:
The more I see ....the less I like
Is slow and if he's to be a wingman he needs to get FAR MORE DANGEROUS with his possessions.

He gets alot of the ball ....gets caught alot as well ....does not appear to be strong enough in hips or body to break tackles once applied.

I know it's early ....but jury is definately out.

Mackay:
I guess typical 2nd game .....ran around alot and didn't see much of the ball.

Again he'll be retained as he is classy with how and where he runs and what he does when he does get the ball.

As always kids will be up and down.

Griffin:
Worked a bit harder ....but many of the things I didn't like last week were again apparent today.

Has a long way to go ......must run harder to get more of the ball .....it's good that players are just starting to use him when he does run to position.

Douglas:
Again a quiter game ....but Iam really liking the little things he's doing......he's getting ball to foot a lot quicker by having a very low ball drop when kicking.

That means he's picking the ball off the ground and kicking almost simultaneously.

Working harder ....attacking the ball harder .......we're starting to see real positive results.

Vince:
Again when the heat was on Vince was quiet .....when the sting went out of the game Vince started to make a real prescence.

Jericho:
Yeah he got some possessions but here are some points:
1. He can't play as a forwrd as he's not a very accurate kick.
2. As muscular as he looks ....he's not strong .....when a tackle is layed it stays layed.
3. His field kicking off the wing was never to the right position .......one time Goodwin was behind his opponent Jericho should have kicked longer over both heads .....he didn't and Goodwin was out of position.

Haven't changed my opinion in any form based on that game

Summary:

All in all it was an even performance ......there are many players when you try and recall their performance you think "gee they didn't stand out" ......yet we won by 76 points

So all players must have teamed well and contributed.

I agree, pretty harsh, not looking forward to reading your opinions when we lose games. The players you are sticking it to, have mostly played the 15-20 game mark, and are now getting their opportunities, cut them some slack

IMO very harsh on a few players, Symes in particular. I thought he was really good but he does lack legspeed. Also I thought Mackay was really handy and Griffo, whilst Cox did get a fair bit of the ball, was very good the other way and got a bit of the ball himself. You have to remember that Cox is the best in the business and he belts just about everyone.

These are my thoughts on the game.

scoreps0.jpg

Loved it.
i was screaming at Ammi!!! It was awesome to finally get a win against WCE:)

Goodwin was soo good out there today! About 166 Dt points (if anyone intersested;))

Got too say Cox did well out there today.. well done mate.

GO PORPIE!!!!:):):thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great signs today

Forwards
Goodwin, he is "Brad Johnson" like up forward
Burton, tough to match up on
Tippett, like most would like ro see him at FF all game
Kenny, very competitive

Midfield
Griffen, his centre square work is excellent
Proplyzia, VB and Thompson are our new midfield leaders
Symes, all credit he produced a very good performance after lasr weeks par performance
Doughty, excellent job on Kerr, his touches did not hurt us
Vince and D-Mac got quality from their touches
Jericho, provided excellent support on the wing and up forward

Midfield will only get stronger when Knights and Radar return

Backs
Bock, outstanding
Rutten, he is the defensive General
Macca and Stiffy, just mopped up all day and provided plenty of run
Bassett and Massive, tough and clinical

all played well :) :thumbsu:

****, that was good.

Not much to say really, Goodwin and Bock were amazing. Porps is a freak, and I'm loving these kids in the middle.

However, D-Mac, VB and Vince should all be forced to wear bright wigs. Its a nightmare trying to tell the difference.

And when KT went down, I lost it.

WW that’s a ridiculously hard summary. We were very, very good today. Our skills were sharp, we tackled very well and we were disciplined. Our defence completely shut down their forwards and our midfield did well to contain their big ball winners. We actually had some space in our forward line and it allowed Goodwin to run wild up there. As for individual player performances...

Bassett: Massive improvement on last week and it’s good to have him back in form.

Bock: I wonder if people will still question why we claim Bock could be an AA this year. What a great performance down back, 32 possessions, 10 marks and he destroyed his opponent.

Burton: Much quieter than last week, and he could’ve given Mackay his first goal but instead he blazed away. Typical stuff from Burton but overall he did contribute up forward.

Doughty: Had some strong tackles early but have no idea where he went after half time.

Douglas: Nice kick to Thompson in the last term and some good courage but only 6 possessions which is a worry. He just does not find enough of the football, how long have we been saying this? He’s a midfielder; his role is to win the ball. It’s not happening enough.

Edwards: Only 10 possessions, one of the more quiet games of his career. However he had 9 tackles and played a strong defensive game.

Goodwin: BOG by a mile. 24 possessions, 13 marks, 7 goals. SEVEN goals! Unbelievable display from Goody and some of those overhead marks were beauties.

Griffin: Smashed in the ruck and around the ground. Liked his run on the wing but on the whole another average game from a pretty average player.

Jericho: As I posted elsewhere, good on the wing, average up forward. Ran hard and presented well. Will be retained but I just want more intensity.

Johncock: Another superb game from Stiffy, started out like a house on fire and was rock solid all the way through.

Mackay: Couldn’t believe he only finished with 9 disposals as it seems like a lot more. I thought he used it well and made some good space. If only some free kicks hadn’t gone against our players because he was away at least twice.

Massie: Outstanding return for Mass! Epitomized his game with that courageous mark in the opening term running back with the flight of the ball. 22 possessions and 10 marks, I’ll take that every week.

McGregor: Please Jimmy, start making inroads.

McLeod: Thought he was sensational in defence. Mopped up everything and didn’t make a mistake. Seems like I’m saying this every week.

Porplyzia: What a player we have here. Absolutely sensational around the packs and his hands are unbelievable. He just doesn’t fumble and his foot skills are some of the best you’ll see.

Rutten: Great game, not only did he control his opponent but he took 10 marks.

Stevens: Quiet game, wasn’t really needed.

Symes: Some good, some bad. Makes me nervous when he has the ball but he did do some very good things today, such as his centering kick in the second quarter. Much improved output on last week.

Thompson: I thought he was in our top 3 players today, behind Goodwin and Bock. Was sensational in the middle and should’ve been credited with more than 6 tackles. 25 possessions, 7 marks, 6 tackles and 5 inside 50’s in a very good all-round display by Thommo. When he’s on, he’s on.

Tippett: 2 more goals, 4 in two weeks. Looked good up forward but ordinary in the ruck. He MUST play up forward permanently. I seriously hope his knee comes up alright as I would be shattered if it’s a serious injury. Seeing him down and holding his knee…not good.

van Berlo: Gutsy performance as always. Of his 18 possessions, 10 were contested, sums up VB. Threw himself at so many packs and his hands were quick today, intercepting a few balls and dishing out some nice handballs. Looks ready to explode, it’s just a matter of when. I hope it’s soon.

Vince: Started well, finished well, not much in between. Kicked two nice goals and that passage of play in the last quarter where he drilled the pass to Goodwin was magnificent. I’m starting to rate him higher than Douglas.

I cant believe thats the score.

Never underestimate the power of straight goal kicking, when your opposition knows your going to slot a goalski almost every time you go back for a shot, it puts down the morale.

The Crows have always struggled with goal kicking, can anyone tell me what happened today?

Well unfortunately I was otherwise occupied today, so I didn't get to see the match, however I'm currently watching the delayed telecast on Channel 10.

What's impressed me so far is the pressure on the ball, and the way that we've used it when we've had it. The kicking has been superb.

What a win though. Seriously sends a statement to the rest of the competition.

WW that’s a ridiculously hard summary. We were very, very good today. Our skills were sharp, we tackled very well and we were disciplined. Our defence completely shut down their forwards and our midfield did well to contain their big ball winners. We actually had some space in our forward line and it allowed Goodwin to run wild up there. As for individual player performances...

Bassett: Massive improvement on last week and it’s good to have him back in form.

Bock: I wonder if people will still question why we claim Bock could be an AA this year. What a great performance down back, 32 possessions, 10 marks and he destroyed his opponent.

Burton: Much quieter than last week, and he could’ve given Mackay his first goal but instead he blazed away. Typical stuff from Burton but overall he did contribute up forward.

Doughty: Had some strong tackles early but have no idea where he went after half time.

Douglas: Nice kick to Thompson in the last term and some good courage but only 6 possessions which is a worry. He just does not find enough of the football, how long have we been saying this? He’s a midfielder; his role is to win the ball. It’s not happening enough.

Edwards: Only 10 possessions, one of the more quiet games of his career. However he had 9 tackles and played a strong defensive game.

Goodwin: BOG by a mile. 24 possessions, 13 marks, 7 goals. SEVEN goals! Unbelievable display from Goody and some of those overhead marks were beauties.

Griffin: Smashed in the ruck and around the ground. Liked his run on the wing but on the whole another average game from a pretty average player.

Jericho: As I posted elsewhere, good on the wing, average up forward. Ran hard and presented well. Will be retained but I just want more intensity.

Johncock: Another superb game from Stiffy, started out like a house on fire and was rock solid all the way through.

Mackay: Couldn’t believe he only finished with 9 disposals as it seems like a lot more. I thought he used it well and made some good space. If only some free kicks hadn’t gone against our players because he was away at least twice.

Massie: Outstanding return for Mass! Epitomized his game with that courageous mark in the opening term running back with the flight of the ball. 22 possessions and 10 marks, I’ll take that every week.

McGregor: Please Jimmy, start making inroads.

McLeod: Thought he was sensational in defence. Mopped up everything and didn’t make a mistake. Seems like I’m saying this every week.

Porplyzia: What a player we have here. Absolutely sensational around the packs and his hands are unbelievable. He just doesn’t fumble and his foot skills are some of the best you’ll see.

Rutten: Great game, not only did he control his opponent but he took 10 marks.

Stevens: Quiet game, wasn’t really needed.

Symes: Some good, some bad. Makes me nervous when he has the ball but he did do some very good things today, such as his centering kick in the second quarter. Much improved output on last week.

Thompson: I thought he was in our top 3 players today, behind Goodwin and Bock. Was sensational in the middle and should’ve been credited with more than 6 tackles. 25 possessions, 7 marks, 6 tackles and 5 inside 50’s in a very good all-round display by Thommo. When he’s on, he’s on.

Tippett: 2 more goals, 4 in two weeks. Looked good up forward but ordinary in the ruck. He MUST play up forward permanently. I seriously hope his knee comes up alright as I would be shattered if it’s a serious injury. Seeing him down and holding his knee…not good.

van Berlo: Gutsy performance as always. Of his 18 possessions, 10 were contested, sums up VB. Threw himself at so many packs and his hands were quick today, intercepting a few balls and dishing out some nice handballs. Looks ready to explode, it’s just a matter of when. I hope it’s soon.

Vince: Started well, finished well, not much in between. Kicked two nice goals and that passage of play in the last quarter where he drilled the pass to Goodwin was magnificent. I’m starting to rate him higher than Douglas.

IMO you are being a bit Harsh on Griffen

Yes arounf the ground in general play, Cox was dominant, however, no other ruckman in the comp can match Cox in general play

However, IMO Griffen beat Cox at the centre bounce, this was reflective in some of our centre breaks, and broke even at the general stoppages

We lost some momentum at the stoppages when Kenny had a run in the ruck.

On Doughty, he was very good on Kerr all day, Kerr, still had 24 touches, however he did not hurt us, not to mention, he usually collects 35+ against us

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts On The West Coast Game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back