Thoughts on Watters, his approach to season 2013, the rebuild and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Herald sun today is reporting that the club are close to offering Scotty an extension. It's with the board and only a few days away. He disagrees with Mark Fines comments. Thinks he has strong support access the playing group.

Relevant comments:

St Kilda's contract extension for Scott Watters is only weeks away ... (Whilst the dwarf incident) resulted in some honesty sessions and Watters telling players to step up or step off about their discipline, the Saints are backing Watters in. The contract extension they have promised is with the board, which is ticking off the criteria it needs for him to get a deal past next season. There have been rumblings of unrest given Watters' firm line ... (and) Watters is aware of those rumblings (i.e. Mark Fine), but believes he has strong support across the player group.

(as an aside in the article "we hear one rival club ... quickly shelved its plan to hire 20 dwarfs for a themed Mad Monday.")

Relevant comments:

St Kilda's contract extension for Scott Watters is only weeks away ... (Whilst the dwarf incident) resulted in some honesty sessions and Watters telling players to step up or step off about their discipline, the Saints are backing Watters in. The contract extension they have promised is with the board, which is ticking off the criteria it needs for him to get a deal past next season. There have been rumblings of unrest given Watters' firm line ... (and) Watters is aware of those rumblings (i.e. Mark Fine), but believes he has strong support across the player group.

(as an aside in the article "we hear one rival club ... quickly shelved its plan to hire 20 dwarfs for a themed Mad Monday.")

Ok. I didn't have the article in front of me when I posted the comment. The point of posting it was to let people know that it looks like happening soon. If you feel the need to correct me then go ahead..

Ok. I didn't have the article in front of me when I posted the comment. The point of posting it was to let people know that it looks like happening soon. If you feel the need to correct me then go ahead..
Dude, he's backing you up and elaborating.

kind of funny that mark fines comments pretty much highlighted the very reason why watters needed an extension

good to see he's drawn a line in the sand with this irresponsible playing group
I know, right? It's like most of the things he complained about, all the Saints fans went either, "So what?" or "It's about time!".

Finey's backfired big time.

The only thing standing between this year's Brownlow Medal and Tom Ledger has been Scott Watters. The club should not race into an extension for that reason alone.
Pft, I thought it was that he didn't play TDL at fullback.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And then joey says in his B&F speech "to the players, we work our behinds off, don't ever forget that"

It's like it doesn't even sink in with the older guys, different era.

Peter Summers was on SEN earlier and they asked him about possible contract extension for Scott Watters he didn't really comment sort of avoided it, found it a little interesting but probably reading into it for nothing.

Senior players losing faith in the coach reminded me of another time something like this happened.

This is a thread about senior players 'losing the respect' for their coach.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/respect-gone-so-long-bomber.265673/

The team: Geelong, 2006.

And for the others who complain about a lack of game plan/tactics/selection read these threads;
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/please-sack-thompson.246651/

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/i-told-you-so.321512/

Now by bringing up comparisons between Thompson in 2006 and SW in 2013 I am not saying that SW is the next Thompson.

I am just saying that the coaching gig is not easy for any coach. Someone even pointed out (could have been in this thread) that there was a time when we wanted RL out for a lack of game plan. RL for a lack of game plan!

I personally thik SW has done a very good job in the past 2 years. I think this year the expecations changed dramatically after the first few rounds but we have a group of youngsters to be excited about. It also seems to me that there is a real purpose with a drafting - the past 2 drafts have seen us get midfielders who are tough as nails and can get their own ball and can also spread with the ball. Having a midfield full of these types of players in the future will be very hard for other teams to stop. And when we don't have the ball it seems that we will hunt in packs - like last year and when we were playing well this year.

For the posters who complain for a lack of game plan; tell me how Neeld went in implementing a game plan on a rebuilding team. It doesn't work. You build a team and then revolve a game plan around the stock that you have.

Now by bringing up comparisons between Thompson in 2006 and SW in 2013 I am not saying that SW is the next Thompson.

I am just saying that the coaching gig is not easy for any coach. Someone even pointed out (could have been in this thread) that there was a time when we wanted RL out for a lack of game plan. RL for a lack of game plan!

I personally thik SW has done a very good job in the past 2 years. I think this year the expecations changed dramatically after the first few rounds but we have a group of youngsters to be excited about. It also seems to me that there is a real purpose with a drafting - the past 2 drafts have seen us get midfielders who are tough as nails and can get their own ball and can also spread with the ball. Having a midfield full of these types of players in the future will be very hard for other teams to stop. And when we don't have the ball it seems that we will hunt in packs - like last year and when we were playing well this year.

For the posters who complain for a lack of game plan; tell me how Neeld went in implementing a game plan on a rebuilding team. It doesn't work. You build a team and then revolve a game plan around the stock that you have.

Gold.

Watters is a gun coach. His record speaks for itself. Lyon has lost 3 grand finals and Watters has not.

Yeah, read it and weep. Lyon: -3... Scott 0

Last time I checked, 0 is > -3.

So there!

Reminder to self: Make appointment for help.

Actually, Watters is +3 as he Coached Subiaco to three WAFL premierships.
True but from what I am told be those who were there and involved - he only had to turn up to coach because the teams were that good and the assistants were top notch. Videos to him but game plans were never his strong suit. I think we need help in that area big time. He has had 2 years to bed one down and I still don't see it working (whatever it is). I know we have young blokes but no one seems to know what they are supposed to be doing. The older players went back to what they prefer in the later stages if the year.

Edit - damn auto correct - cudos to him.

Maybe it's time for a "thoughts on Watters approach to 2014" thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts on Watters, his approach to season 2013, the rebuild and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back