Time to stop demanding to play Collingwood twice

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I know there was a fight at the first Collingwood Vs Carlton game this year but I've never known a more friendly yet obviously heated on field rivalry than what we have.

I've been involved in scuffles (hopefully none of my own doing, at least I don't believe so) with Essendon, Richmond and hell even Geelong fans in the past. At the end of each Collingwood game that I have ever gone to I've had the pleasure of either being congratulated by a nearby Pies supporter and in turn wishing them luck (even if it wasn't completely sincere) or vice versa.

No other rivalry can I recall doing that at.

Keep the two games. Support BOTH outstanding charities and over time the fortunes of the two clubs will no doubt change as they always have.

If the AFL ever decided one CARL-COL game was enough in a season I'd picket!

We're entering the next true golden age of this rivalry. Even if for the next season or so we continue to lose more than win it's more than worth the rivalry continuing.

I agree with the title of this thread. I demand we play the Pies for a third time this year, in the last game of the season.

I suspect there will be a decent sized crowd there too.:thumbsu:

As I understand it there is no "demanding" involved - the AFL has the 'big 4' play each other twice 2 every season in the fixture.

And of course I agree with everyone that said what a stupid thing to stop & the time will come where it will be no concern playing them twice.

Agree, HTFU!

I love playing the other big 3 twice a year.

I love playing the other big two twice a year and having a gifted eight points in mulligan matches.

As I understand it there is no "demanding" involved - the AFL has the 'big 4' play each other twice 2 every season in the fixture.

And of course I agree with everyone that said what a stupid thing to stop & the time will come where it will be no concern playing them twice.

Its more the big 3 nowadays...:thumbsu:

Collingwood>>>Carlton/Essendon>>>>>Daylight>>>>>>the rest

Actually I have changed my tune. Should adopt this attitude in more sports. Imagine if we could play England in the Bledisloe and NZ in the ashes. **** tradition, this is visionary.

Why should we play the poms in 5 tests for the ashes when we only play 3 tests against every other country...

**** that... we can beat the poms in 3 tests every year so lets just play 3 tests against them for the ashes.

When the aussies play the poms in cricket... the whole of the cricketting world stops to watch... the neutrals love it because of what it is. The ICC knows what a big money spinner the ashes is in terms of pay per view tv rights around the world and would never dream of playing less than the allotted 5 tests every series.

When Carlton plays Collingwood, even most of the neutrals who follow AFL watch because it is always going to be a match played with passion so leave it the way that it is and accept that the AFL is always going to use the passionate Carlton vs Collingwood rivalry to the fullest to make the most amount of money for itself (and load up fat andrew's already fat wallet with more dosh).

While your at it Big Red, maybe we should demand to play only Gold Coast, GWS, Port and Brisbane and a rotational basis until their lists improve, then ask for the new worst 4 teams?

Soft, soft, soft. If you're too scared of playing against the best team currently going you shouldn't play at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While your at it Big Red, maybe we should demand to play only Gold Coast, GWS, Port and Brisbane and a rotational basis until their lists improve, then ask for the new worst 4 teams?

Soft, soft, soft. If you're too scared of playing against the best team currently going you shouldn't play at all.

I suppose we should request to play the pies, cats, hawks and wc twice then?

As said essendon very smart requesting gws twice, the fixture is uneven so best to make fixture as easy as possible.

These are all fair answers to a fair question.

From what I am hearing, though, we will never hear from any of the posters on this board complaining about Carlton having a tough draw (whether that involves Collingwood or not) in the future.

My view is that you want to maximise your chances come finals time, which means top four is a significant advantage on 5-8. whatever it takes to get to top 4 is an advantage for the team.

It's funny half the clowns posting will cry next year if we get a tough fixture.

The only thing that matters is finishing as high as possible on the ladder to ensure best chance to win flag, given most posts are during work hours one can assume the unemployed have largely responded.

Here is the thing. What does the Carlton Football Club learn from belting B level sides every single weeks? Nothing.

Did Carlton learn anything from playing Collingwood twice? Yes, and the staff and the inner sanctum would have had specific questions and would have had them answered.

To borrow a phrase. To be the Man to have to beat the man.

Not playing the best hurts us more than thumping a minnow.

Your Kidding me right? The biggest rivalry in Football against two of the biggest clubs in the Competition. Have a look at the Crowd numbers since 2008

88,181 (Home and Away Attendance Record between pies v blues)

As you can see 6 out of the last 8 games between the Pies and the blues have drawn over 80,000 even without any public holiday matches which is amazing!

in the last 8 matches they have averaged 82,212 fans pretty impressive:thumbsu:

Your Kidding me right? The biggest rivalry in Football against two of the biggest clubs in the Competition. Have a look at the Crowd numbers since 2008

88,181 (Home and Away Attendance Record between pies v blues)

As you can see 6 out of the last 8 games between the Pies and the blues have drawn over 80,000 even without any public holiday matches which is amazing!

in the last 8 matches they have averaged 82,212 fans pretty impressive:thumbsu:

The AFL wouldn't have it any other way.

That's what Blockbusters are all about & the rivalry between our 2 Clubs is next to none.

What a ridiculous thread.

If you're looking for a free ride, go follow the Bombers. I'd much rather play the harder teams twice. If we can't be competitive against them, we don't deserve a premiership.

Never aspire to take the easy way.

In an environment where we only play a couple of sides twice why would we now demand to play the pies twice?

On current form playing the pies twice could easily cost us a top 4 spot this year and next year.

Would you prefer to play port or gc or gws twice?

Form my perspective it is time to get smart we should do what essendon have done who are trying to arrange things so they play gws twice.

Stay off the drugs. :thumbsdown:

We currently play Colingwood, Essendon and Richmond twice a year.
For all the obvious reasons, that won't be changing in any time soon, nor should it.

no it won;t be changing ya dont make arch rivals to playing each other once a year thats just silly non rivals then yes once a year

Remove this Banner Ad

Time to stop demanding to play Collingwood twice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back