To Gibb or not to Gibb, thats the question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trade VB back home to west coast he may still have some value. Trade him for Lycett then make out like bandits

LOL. The indictment on where we have come as a club is our captain would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick on the trade market.

Why are you are sage? Just because someone posts 'half back are winners in modern day football' doesn't necessarily prove your point.
The same statement could be said of mid fielders.
At present Smith does proved great drive out of defence and his closing speed and willingness to chase a player is an example to all. Surely his speed through the midfield could also be a weapon.
The coaching hierarchy of the Crows are so staid in their coaching structures at the moment that they rarely try something new or innovative for fear of failure.
When will they be willing to at least try a Smith in the centre and mix things up.
Sure we lose his drive but that may mean we try an Ellis Yeoman or a Battersby to free him up.
Smith with his kicking further up the ground, may become the goal kicking midfielder we need, Who knows. What I do know is after the start to our season nothing should be settled and our coaches need to become more innovated, open their eyes, drop players who aren't performing and change things.
What I do know is Smith is rapidly becoming one of our most damaging footballers and perhaps it is time to put one of our best around the ball more.

The sage quip was tongue in cheek.
The same is said for mid fielders.
We need him in defence more than in the midfield.
The bulk of the backline are so staid in their coaching structures that they rarely try something new or innovative for fear of failure.
Ellis Lolman:D

Next...

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-06/im-going-nowhere-gibbs

CARLTON free agent Bryce Gibbs has indicated he wants to stay with the Blues beyond 2014, and his contract negotiations are progressing well.

Heartened by discussions with the club about its direction and where he fits into its plans, Gibbs said Carlton's future was less dire than many were predicting.

He said he hadn't thought at all about leaving Carlton despite his position as a restricted free agent, but negotiations took time.

"If it could be done tomorrow it would be done tomorrow," Gibbs said. "I'm settled in Melbourne. I've been here eight years."

"Lance Franklin says he wants to stay at Hawthorn as he weighs up his AFL future."

"I want to stay at Hawthorn - I love the footy club, they've been a great football club for me for nearly nine years," Franklin said.

"My management is in talks with the football club at the moment and that's where it stays."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-07/i-want-to-stay-at-hawthorn-buddy/4871000

"Brendon Goddard says he will stay at St Kilda"
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...stay-at-st-kilda/story-e6freck3-1226332084218

“Collingwood midfielder Dale Thomas says he wants to stay a Magpie”
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arc...e-price-is-right/story-fncagcd8-1226607805182

The Buddy one is the most damning. We KNOW he was talking with Sydney at least 8 months prior to that quote.

Actually probably the best article that could come out. All 4 of the below players loved their club, wanted to stay a one club player, and were in talks with their own clubs management. And they all left.

Brendan Goddard:
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st...ch-on-as-a-saint/story-fndv7pj3-1226433351223

Colin Sylvia:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...elong-journey-with-demons-20130710-2ppyq.html

Dale Thomas:
http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/news/dale-thomas-may-stay-at-collingwood/1jbr4ws7t0drd10cek7li57hmz
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/da...y-at-collingwood/story-fnelctok-1226517701907

Lance Franklin:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-07/i-want-to-stay-at-hawthorn-buddy/4871000

This is the exact type of stuff that makes you worry a great deal if you have a superstar who is available for free agency that is unsigned in their final year of a contract.... Dangerfield is a massive concern.

This is the exact type of stuff that makes you worry a great deal if you have a superstar who is available for free agency that is unsigned in their final year of a contract.... Dangerfield is a massive concern.

Except he's not in his final year, so no cause for concern.... yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too quick on the draw PKnox :thumbsu:
If anything it simply goes to show how easy it is to find AFL players who have bulls***ed their supporter base just to keep the media hounds at bay temporarily.

It goes both ways though, we have to accept that Danger's comments last week (indicating his loyalty to the Crows) really don't mean much, particularly in light of our disgraceful performance on Saturday.

If anything it simply goes to show how easy it is to find AFL players who have bulls***ed their supporter base just to keep the media hounds at bay temporarily.

It goes both ways though, we have to accept that Danger's comments last week (indicating his loyalty to the Crows) really don't mean much, particularly in light of our disgraceful performance on Saturday.

Absolutely.. Does make me wonder whether we will see mid-season trades introduced in the next 5 years. I think we will.

or how fickle AFL supporters can be.

If he comes out (like NRL players do) and says he is leaving - he would be hounded every game, BF would go nuts and every second thread on Bay 13 would question his manhood.

Add to that, he may actually still sign with Carlton.

Absolutely.. Does make me wonder whether we will see mid-season trades introduced in the next 5 years. I think we will.

Agree and think they they should.

if the AFL insist on having a bye - have it after round 11 and then that Monday to Thursday 3 pm is a mid season trade week.

an example would be - Gibbs to Geelong for a 2nd round pick or a player. Geelong increase their playing squad for another tilt at the premiership and then Gibbs becomes a free agent.

Geelong get salary cap relief, Carlton get a player in return and Gibbs get to become free agent or stay with the Cats (or whatever club does that trade)

Last edited:
Has he signed and waiting for the Blues to match, in negotiations or just in discussions with the Crows?
I don't know.

All I know is his manager agreed to AFC contract terms, which are said to be generous.

As we know, players have been known to change their mind (like Gunston), so no guarantees, but would still be feeling confident.

Hopefully, AFC perform better than Blues too, as if he thinks we are going backwards, that may impact on his decision.

I don't know.

All I know is his manager agreed to AFC contract terms, which are said to be generous.

As we know, players have been known to change their mind (like Gunston), so no guarantees, but would still be feeling confident.

Hopefully, AFC perform better than Blues too, as if he thinks we are going backwards, that may impact on his decision.

I have heard this mentioned a few times, however, what do you think they mean when they say 'generous?' Do you reckon it is a very large amount of money like 600-700k a year? Or contract length (ie like 6 years or something)?

Personally I think a length of 5 years would be generous with money loaded towards when Thompson & Reilly's contracts end (end of 2015?).

I don't know.

Given some on the blues board are very confident he's staying to the point they are citing a date he will be announced ... perhaps he's done a Nick Holland and got his manager to determine his market rate by dealing with an Adelaide club desperate to land a big fish, then taken this back to Carlton and used it as a starting point for what he wants going forward. If the Carlton guys are correct all should be revealed in 5 weeks or so.

Given some on the blues board are very confident he's staying to the point they are citing a date he will be announced ... perhaps he's done a Nick Holland and got his manager to determine his market rate by dealing with an Adelaide club desperate to land a big fish, then taken this back to Carlton and used it as a starting point for what he wants going forward. If the Carlton guys are correct all should be revealed in 5 weeks or so.

Many were predicting a date for Kurt Tippett signature as well, they were that confident.

and I reckon it was Ben Holland, we were never close to signing Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back