Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Barrass would be in or around the top 5 players at all clubs tbh
This is clearly where the valuations diverge so much. I think Barrass is an excellent player who is one of the best interceptors and readers of the play in the AFL. Players like Barrass are great to have to kill the high ball into the 50. He's elite at that. Will be the best we've had since Brian Lake at taking up space under the high ball - something our current defenders aren't big enough to do.

But he's not an offensive player, his skills are mediocre and he is not fast or possessing break away speed to start offensive movements.

I do not see him as a top 5 player in our team or most contenders for that matter (as Brian Lake wasn't, despite being elite at what he does).

This is clearly where the valuations diverge so much. I think Barrass is an excellent player who is one of the best interceptors and readers of the play in the AFL. Players like Barrass are great to have to kill the high ball into the 50. He's elite at that. Will be the best we've had since Brian Lake at taking up space under the high ball - something our current defenders aren't big enough to do.

But he's not an offensive player, his skills are mediocre and he is not fast or possessing break away speed to start offensive movements.

I do not see him as a top 5 player in our team or most contenders for that matter (as Brian Lake wasn't, despite being elite at what he does).
Intercepting is an offensive trait. Do you think Harris Andrews provides run or an elite kick? McGovern has an elite kick to go with his intercepting skills which is what sets him apart, but Barrass is definitely in your top few players lol.

Idk why youre debating this I thought it was pretty clear, your team isnt full of A-graders or anything.

If our backline for the last two thirds of the season was a hole ……. please give me more holes in other areas of the ground!

Enough holes to go and tap up a player and pay him $900-$1m for 4 years minimum.

It’s the hole your coach identified and barrass is a player your coach chased. It is on your club. Only going by pretty strong circumstantial evidence here.

We both know you can’t come away with no first rounder pick this year and no barrass.

it’s clear your club thinks 2025 is an opportunity. And to just not let him go for a pick that will be 50 in 2025. Don’t know about that. You will bend over.

After trying to trade pick 4, F1st and Brockman for pick 1 last year, we can assume Hawthorn LM team are pretty clueless.

Yeah, we had a terrible 2023 trade period. Only got Chol, D'Ambrosio and Ginnivan for basically nothing.

Also got a pick in the 40s out of Richmond for Kossie, and got Gunston.

Barrass would be in or around the top 5 players at all clubs tbh

He wasnt top 5 at your club and you finished 16th. This is just a ridiculous comment. He would be top 10. But then, that is in the top 180 players in the comp.

No wonder the offer isn't that great for Barrass this year he was ranked 44 for best 1 on 1 defenders in the AFL. :$

https://www.zerohanger.com/the-afls-best-one-on-one-defenders-revealed-153505/
Eagles defenders dont play 1 on 1. They play a zone, Barrass and Gov can float around reading the ball doign what they do best this way. 1on1s happen when another defender stuffs up or the ball comes in too quick for a 3rd defender to come across and impact.
1on1 stat doesnt represent what Barrass does very well

Eagles defenders dont play 1 on 1. They play a zone, Barrass and Gov can float around reading the ball doign what they do best this way. 1on1s happen when another defender stuffs up or the ball comes in too quick for a 3rd defender to come across and impact.
1on1 stat doesnt represent what Barrass does very well
But I thought we needed him to deal with the omnipresent threat of Riley Thilthorpe?

Guess you havent watched him play in a few years then 🤷‍♂️
I have watched him. I'm not saying he's a 'bad' player by any stretch.

He is a great interceptor - but we don't really need that.

Sicily is the best in the whole competition, at worst he is top 3.
Scrimshaw is fast becoming one of the best in the competition.
Battle is coming across and is also an excellent interceptor.

We also have all of our defenders being either elite kicks or high speed runners - Sicily, Scrimshaw, Amon, Impey, Weddle, Hardwick, Jiath - are all one or both.

What we need is tall mature depth who can stand on either the gorilla forwards (McKay) or the tall lanky ones (Kings, Darcy). Serong looks like he will be a great player, but he's not ready yet and is more of a 2nd tall anyway.
Frosty going out for the Semi Final showed that we need to shore things up, as there is no guarantee Blanck comes back strongly AND becomes a consistent seniors quality key defender.

I have watched him. I'm not saying he's a 'bad' player by any stretch.

He is a great interceptor - but we don't really need that.

Sicily is the best in the whole competition, at worst he is top 3.
Scrimshaw is fast becoming one of the best in the competition.
Battle is coming across and is also an excellent interceptor.

We also have all of our defenders being either elite kicks or high speed runners - Sicily, Scrimshaw, Amon, Impey, Weddle, Hardwick, Jiath - are all one or both.

What we need is tall mature depth who can stand on either the gorilla forwards (McKay) or the tall lanky ones (Kings, Darcy). Serong looks like he will be a great player, but he's not ready yet and is more of a 2nd tall anyway.
Frosty going out for the Semi Final showed that we need to shore things up, as there is no guarantee Blanck comes back strongly AND becomes a consistent seniors quality key defender.
Im not the one deciding you need him, your club did that. Im not debating whether hes a better interceptor than Sicily either, or whether you need another interceptor.
Whether you think you need Barrass or not doesnt make him a worse player.
Barrass can matchup on the big forwards, thats been his role for years now, he just doesnt sit on top of them, he reads the ball and jumps over the top to mark or spoil. Better at the high ball than on a lead.
Thats what you lack from the sounds of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not the one deciding you need him, your club did that. Im not debating whether hes a better interceptor than Sicily either, or whether you need another interceptor.
Whether you think you need Barrass or not doesnt make him a worse player.
Barrass can matchup on the big forwards, thats been his role for years now, he just doesnt sit on top of them, he reads the ball and jumps over the top to mark or spoil. Better at the high ball than on a lead.
Thats what you lack from the sounds of it.
Our current options as like-for-like players are Frost and Blanck.

Barrass is an improvement on both of them, and back injury permitting he should have a couple of extra years of service on Frosty as well.

Would basically every Hawks supporter like Barrass to join the club - yes.
What percentage of them would be happy to overpay to get him - probably 10% or less.

My comment was a joke, a 3rd rounder is even more absurd than the ridiculoue 2 1st's hes a generational full back comments.

Top five players is also way off (and for what it's worth I think Barrass is very good at what he does and will be an excellent addition).
He'll be your best defender, will save you a lot of goals. A few midfielders will rack up more possessions and appear to be better, but will have less impact.

Two firsts, when they are in the late teens, isn't ridiculous for a player of his quality. Slightly overs because he's 29 but that was the Eagles' opening bid. Hawthorn appear to have offered their unders opening bid (14 and a second, with a third coming back) but then abandoned the process. A first and second with nothing coming back is the fair value. I'd prefer a little more, you'd prefer a little less I imagine, which suggests it's probably about right.

His not delisted yet and could be traded for a late pick to any club.

I don’t for a minute, think this changes the circumstances around Barrass though.
Yeah nothing to do with Barrass.
Its been reported that Carlton wont sign him, if Owies doesnt agree to a trade then he wont be traded and he will be delisted.
For Owies himself the best thing he can do is refuse a trade, gives him more options, there are clearly clubs that want him

His not delisted yet and could be traded for a late pick to any club.

I don’t for a minute, think this changes the circumstances around Barrass though.
Why would clubs trade for him now

Blues have not offered him a contract and in 2 weeks he will be out of contract and can just accept what offer he likes
Blues will have to delist him

Paul Roo's reckons nothing less then top 7/8 draft pick for Barrass , contracted called Hawks bone-heads for trading pick 14 .
Eagles coach should meet with Tom Barrass if the trade continues to stall .
Haha always rated Roossie one thing for sure Sydney wouldn't be accepting these deals either .

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027] - Reportedly headed to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back