Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Darcy Moore is rated 4th and he can barely even spell 'opponent'

Barrass is good but the risk vs reward vs cost just doesn't work for me. I hope he stays at the Eagles.
Get the concern but put it this way:

Without Tom Boyd, Dogs likely don't win in '16. They paid a pretty high price to get him and he retired a few short years later, not really having any standout games other than the grand final.

Would supporters seriously turn down a far better player in Barrass, for much less of an asking price, if it massively boosted their chances of winning another flag?

Without Tom Boyd, Dogs likely don't win in '16. They paid a pretty high price to get him and he retired a few short years later, not really having any standout games other than the grand final.

Would supporters seriously turn down a far better player in Barrass, for much less of an asking price, if it massively boosted their chances of winning another flag?
This may surprise you but there are a lot of us on our board that don’t want Barrass. Hopefully he stays with you or he picks the Hawks our back 6 has been quite good this year

Yeah a 19 year old who just went pick 1 versus a 29 year old defender.

I wonder why they would go for such a difference in price and why teams would pay more for one than the other.

Eagles fans in this thread are trying to shove him out the door in the hopes of getting overs.

Very different scenarios.
We'd been trying to get a KPF for 20 years when we grabbed Boyd, who was only available with a monster offer and our captain walking out to join GWS (and we threw in pick 6 as well). He was pick 1 the year prior and had huge potential to fill a position of desperate need.

Barrass would be an upgrade on whoever replaces Jones in 2026, and perhaps a smaller upgrade on our '3rd' stocks in 2025. Lobb going back, JOD's form when he's played seniors, and Buss re-signing means it's less of a desperate need than it was even 6 weeks ago.

This may surprise you but there are a lot of us on our board that don’t want Barrass. Hopefully he stays with you or he picks the Hawks our back 6 has been quite good this year
Fair stance. Lobb doing well back there would certainly shift opinions.

Pearce is a leader and he is more damaging. He's been in AA form, not just squad form. I think Cox is better and still improving.

AFL ratings are terrible. Weitering has had a much better season than him for instance if you don't have Pearce in there due to missing some games lately.
I agree.
Any system that has Darcy Moore ranked as the 4th best KPD in the comp is seriously flawed.

He's been dreadful.

I wonder why they would go for such a difference in price and why teams would pay more for one than the other.

Eagles fans in this thread are trying to shove him out the door in the hopes of getting overs.
You missed the point.

I'm not saying we should get anywhere near what GWS got for Boyd.

I'm saying that would you want to be stingy and miss out on a potential final piece to win a flag, or not?

Age doesn't come into it as "Best", trade value does reflect age though. Gov is a better player still, although his availability is the concern.

I was just making a comment over someone calling Barras top 5 KPD in the league. He's probably the 4th best in the state still and not the most valuable trade commodity.

Gov holds little to no trade value due to his age compared to TB so agree there.

But comparing him to Barrass is flawed. It could be argued Barrass has had a better year. They do play slightly different roles, TB more lock down but can still intercept.

Who are the top 5 fullbacks this year?

Harris Andrews
Weitering started late with a calf issue.
McKay been up and down.
Liam Jones up and down plus injured.
McCartin at Swans isn't top 5.
Port nope.
Crows Keane? No.
Saints Wilkie is up there.
Suns are solid without being a AA.
May is having an ok year.
Hawks. Nope. That's why they are keen.
Pearce is having a decent year, 2nd fractured arm isn't great. And Ryan isn't a kp fullback at 188cm.
Moore is having a shocker.

So who are the top 5 fullbacks in 2024?

“Massively boost their chances of winning a flag” by recruiting Tom Barrass is putting so much mayo on it…

Rory Lobb has gone down back for 5 weeks, we’ve played 3 of the top 4 and 7th, and he’s been ‘elite’ by most KPD metrics. Barrass isn’t better than Jones or Lobb this year, so I can’t see how he would give us a “massive boost”.

If we trade Lobb, then Barrass makes sense. But after the last five weeks, I’d personally rather keep Lobb there, use our pick at the draft and let Jones and Lobb hand over to O’Donnell and Busslinger over the next year or two.

“Massively boost their chances of winning a flag” by recruiting Tom Barrass is putting so much mayo on it…

Rory Lobb has gone down back for 5 weeks, we’ve played 3 of the top 4 and 7th, and he’s been ‘elite’ by most KPD metrics. Barrass isn’t better than Jones or Lobb this year, so I can’t see how he would give us a “massive boost”.

If we trade Lobb, then Barrass makes sense. But after the last five weeks, I’d personally rather keep Lobb there, use our pick at the draft and let Jones and Lobb hand over to O’Donnell and Busslinger over the next year or two.
Barrass is better than both of those 2 but they are indeed playing well, especially Lobb since going back.

I imagine Barrass would now be far more appealing to Hawthorn than Bulldogs, solely due to Lobb.

You missed the point.

I'm not saying we should get anywhere near what GWS got for Boyd.

I'm saying that would you want to be stingy and miss out on a potential final piece to win a flag, or not?
I don’t feel Barrass is the potential final piece to win a flag for any team. No team in this league is close to complete.

His improvement to any team would likely be less than the cost of what it takes to get him. Given he will likely have 2-3 years close to top form and could slow down slightly quicker than that.

I just hope the hawks aren’t the ones who trade for him. I’d much rather 2 years of Frost and the picks than Barrass.

Gov holds little to no trade value due to his age compared to TB so agree there.

But comparing him to Barrass is flawed. It could be argued Barrass has had a better year. They do play slightly different roles, TB more lock down but can still intercept.

Harris Andrews
McKay been up and down.
Port nope.
Crows Keane? No.
Pearce is having a decent year, 2nd fractured arm isn't great. And Ryan isn't a kp fullback at 188cm.

Barrass certainly hasn't if we're going off this year. Won't make the AA squad and is part of the third worse defense in the AFL.

Better KPF this season - Andrews, Weitering, May, Collins, Pearce, Sicily, Wilkie, McKay

Moore still a better player in my opinion but Barrass is a better player than some of the ones listed above. I just don't think he's top 5 for KPF. He would lucky to be top 10 if you include everyone who can play the role, I rate Gov higher than him.

Barrass certainly hasn't if we're going off this year. Won't make the AA squad and is part of the third worse defense in the AFL.

Better KPF this season - Andrews, Weitering, May, Collins, Pearce, Sicily, Wilkie, McKay

Moore still a better player in my opinion but Barrass is a better player than some of the ones listed above. I just don't think he's top 5 for KPF. He would lucky to be top 10 if you include everyone who can play the role, I rate Gov higher than him.
Please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harris Andrews
McKay been up and down.
Port nope.
Crows Keane? No.

Frost is having a cracking year with barely a brain fade. Fast, athletic and great at ground level which is vital to our rebounding defence/fast ball movement. Barass is far superior to Frost in the air but Barass is a liability when the ball hits the ground. Much prefer we grab Battle as a free agent which frees up Weddle to play more midfield. Rather persist with Frost and keep our 1st pick plus maybe our 2nd than get Barass. So many gems in the top 30 in this draft!

Lol.

So you don't take 2024 form into account?

Or injuries.

Or the fact that they aren't true kp lock down defenders. Aka Sicily.

McKay hasn't had a better season either.

Anyway that just shows how flimsy your argument is. All good. ;) :thumbsu:

Really reaching a bit there to find so many names lmao.

Sicily isnt a KPD, McKay LOL, Pearce nah, Collins is debatable, May is debatable, Wilkie is better lockdown but worse at intercepting, Andrews and Weitering ill give you.
So Barrass is the third best KPF in the league in the third worst defense?

You appear to have the same rating of your list as the old WC list management team. Lets see how it turns out this time.

He has three more years under contract.

They wont let him go for unders will they?

The kind of player I'd love if we could get relatively cheap but anything more than Pick 10 would be overs considering age and injury record.
You'd have to be pretty confident of competing in the next couple of years to make the move

I would do Hawks first (pick 10ish) for Barass and Eagles second (pick 20ish) and we take the salary dump.

But I'm not selling the farm for him

So Barrass is the third best KPF in the league in the third worst defense?

He is well and truely in the discussion for being the 4th or 5th best fullback who actually defends.

And Sicily isnt a lock down fullback who stands the gorrilla forwards. He is the 3rd tall intercepting rebound defender like Lever and McGovern, but shorter. Sicily is more like Luke Ryan at Freo, attacking interecept defender.

Ive said it before in this thread, but being 29 doesnt matter if theyre a good enough player.

Bont and Cripps will be 29 this year and I have no doubt clubs would pay multiple first rounders for either.

A first and a second rounder for an elite KPD which are at a premium right now is not that far out there
Comparing Barrass to the 2 Brownlow favourites and the 2 best players on the last 5 years. Only on bigfooty

Comparing Barrass to the 2 Brownlow favourites and the 2 best players on the last 5 years. Only on bigfooty
Once again people not getting the point.

Im replying to a guy who said nobody is paying 2 firsts for a 29 year old, when clearly they would if they were good enough or filled a need.

come on mate its not hard

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back