Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

If bulldogs win a flag, surely they prioritise getting some young mids to support Darcy, Ugle Hagan for the future rather than getting Barass?
Yeah I think that's a reasonable view. I think our midfield in say 3 years time probably looks like Richards, Sanders, Rhylee West. There's a belief amongst some supporters that Joel Freijah will transition into a midfielder and he is only 18. There's a couple of others playing at VFL level that have shown a bit.

If we win the flag though I'm not too concerned about what we do in the immediate years after haha.

The top price for a KPD was pick 6 for May who was 26 at the time. Brian Lake at 30 years old was pick 21 + 43 with 27 coming back which was a steal.

He's not a top 5 league KPD, he's not even the best KPD in your team. A single top 10 1st rounder for a 28/29 year old would be a huge win for WC and they should definitely do the trade.

A 29 year old Barrass v a 33 year old McGovern.

What's the definition of " best tall defenser"?

Does age come into it or not?

Barrass has 4 more years in the game before he reaches Gov's age.

“Mids are a dime a dozen” as an argument why Tom Barrass would be worth more than Tim Taranto in a trade is one of the sillier arguments made in this thread so far.

It's not.

If you'd paid any attention to the last couple of trade periods you'd note that a number of contending sides have been looking to bolster their KPD stocks.

Look at how much Ben McKay got offered to leave North, for instance. He's not fit to tie Barrass' shoelaces.

2 firsts were floated last year as what Sydney were prepared to offer.

Looks like Hawthorn would be willing to offer a decent asking price anyway, and they'll probably have better picks.

The eagles didnt renege on anything. They gave him a pay raise.

There was nothing in writing from the sounds of it, and there is new management who were not party to the original agreement
Yep, apparently Barrass went to the old management at WCE, against the advice of his manager, and they did a handshake deal.

He did indeed get a bump in salary but it was apparently 'underwhelming'.

The eagles didnt renege on anything. They gave him a pay raise.

I doubt we see that Morris article in its (hilarious) level of detail if Barrass felt that way. He’s obviously annoyed and thinks what the Eagles have done isn’t in line with what was promised. I don’t know who is right or wrong there.

I doubt we see that Morris article in its (hilarious) level of detail if Barrass felt that way. He’s obviously annoyed and thinks what the Eagles have done isn’t in line with what was promised. I don’t know who is right or wrong there.
If what was written was true, and WC offered a small rise, TB is well withing his rights to be pissed and to look elsewhere.
They could it end this today by just paying him what he's worth.

As with all trades, sometimes the value is what others are just prepared to pay.
I might be biased but I think pick 10 would be fair, especially with him being contracted.
Uncontracted and you're looking at 15 maybe.

He would be better suited for Hawthorn with the form of Rory Lobb going back IMO.

Age does matter though, particularly players with an injury history and as good as Barass is, he's not close to best player in the comp (or even best KPD) territory as those names so it's slightly harder. Barass has probably 100 games left in him and despite what you guys keep saying, there is a risk there is A LOT less than that. That has to be taken into account with the max a club will offer.
Clubs are offering 5 years, sounds like theres a lot less to that injury than posters on bigfooty believe huh?
Hasnt stopped him playing at an elite level all year either.

Its not a concern
I personally think it's as much what picks you can get in the door as it is which experienced KPD you can bring on the cheap. I can't see a club paying more than that first and second you mentioned but I think if WC get offered that and have a cheap option (Oscar McDonald type) lined up elsewhere then they'll pull the trigger.
Id be ok with pick 10 + a late 2nd rounder or something if thats what it had to be.

If a club wants to win a premiership in the next 3 years they chase Barrass.
If they want anything at all because they have no KPD depth they chase McDonald.

2 different markets

A 29 year old Barrass v a 33 year old McGovern.

What's the definition of " best tall defenser"?

Does age come into it or not?

Barrass has 4 more years in the game before he reaches Gov's age.
Age doesn't come into it as "Best", trade value does reflect age though. Gov is a better player still, although his availability is the concern.

I was just making a comment over someone calling Barras top 5 KPD in the league. He's probably the 4th best in the state still and not the most valuable trade commodity.

Yeah I think that's a reasonable view. I think our midfield in say 3 years time probably looks like Richards, Sanders, Rhylee West. There's a belief amongst some supporters that Joel Freijah will transition into a midfielder and he is only 18. There's a couple of others playing at VFL level that have shown a bit.

If we win the flag though I'm not too concerned about what we do in the immediate years after haha.
Wasnt freijah a winger anyway in his draft year, not a stretch to see him up the ground

Age doesn't come into it as "Best", trade value does reflect age though. Gov is a better player still, although his availability is the concern.

I was just making a comment over someone calling Barras top 5 KPD in the league. He's probably the 4th best in the state still and not the most valuable trade commodity.
2nd best in the state* behind Gov only. 1 year of form from Pearce doesnt push Barrass back 2 spots LMAO

Clubs are offering 5 years, sounds like theres a lot less to that injury than posters on bigfooty believe huh?
Hasnt stopped him playing at an elite level all year either.

Its not a concern

Id be ok with pick 10 + a late 2nd rounder or something if thats what it had to be.

If a club wants to win a premiership in the next 3 years they chase Barrass.
If they want anything at all because they have no KPD depth they chase McDonald.

2 different markets
Clubs are offering Perryman 7 years, just the nature of AFL contracts. I don't know why you guys are so adamant it's not a thing, he's just played his 150th at 28, Serong just played his 100th at 23. It's like me trying to tell you injuries haven't been an issue for Pearce. If he had no injuries I'm pretty sure you could get even more trade capital

Hmm. AFL rates him as the 5th best key defender in the league this season, FYI.

1722225813217.png

Clubs are offering Perryman 7 years, just the nature of AFL contracts. I don't know why you guys are so adamant it's not a thing, he's just played his 150th at 28, Serong just played his 100th at 23. It's like me trying to tell you injuries haven't been an issue for Pearce. If he had no injuries I'm pretty sure you could get even more trade capital
Mids are normally AFL ready earlier and why they achieve earlier milestones

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrass didnt play much in his first 3 seasons, same as most KPDs who dont play as a loose/3rd tall, he played WAFL. We also had no reason to rush him in as we had a couple of pretty good KPDs in 2014-2016.
Serong is a mid who played 14 games in his first year.

If you take out the usual 3 seasons in the WAFL for a KPP then Barrass got to 137 games(taking out first 3 seasons) near the end of his 8th season.
Serong is on track for 137 near the end of his 7th season

Hes been relatively good with injury mate.

2nd best in the state* behind Gov only. 1 year of form from Pearce doesnt push Barrass back 2 spots LMAO
Pearce is a leader and he is more damaging. He's been in AA form, not just squad form. I think Cox is better and still improving.

Hmm. AFL rates him as the 5th best key defender in the league this season, FYI.

View attachment 2062542
AFL ratings are terrible. Weitering has had a much better season than him for instance if you don't have Pearce in there due to missing some games lately.

Clubs clearly aint as concerned as some in this forum. They are the ones reportedly offering him 4-5 years on better coin and knowing he is contracted for 3 years and what was prepared to be offered for him in a trade last year.

They take all these calculations into account before trying to get TB to agree.

Pearce is a leader and he is more damaging. He's been in AA form, not just squad form. I think Cox is better and still improving.

AFL ratings are terrible. Weitering has had a much better season than him for instance if you don't have Pearce in there due to missing some games lately.

Yep, ratings are 'terrible' when they don't suit your narrative.

Got it.

Pearce is a worse KPD though. Hes not bad at all, still a very good player, but Barrass ahead because hes done it more than 1 year.

Cox is a no
Who is better than Barrass in the comp right now? KPDs only, not using player ratings which can be a bit off depending on what you want to prove

Weitering, Taylor, Andrews, Gov, May? Thats a pretty elite few to be behind.

Ill put Pearce, Collins, Wilkie, Buckley and Mccartin in the ballpark

It's not.

If you'd paid any attention to the last couple of trade periods you'd note that a number of contending sides have been looking to bolster their KPD stocks.

Look at how much Ben McKay got offered to leave North, for instance. He's not fit to tie Barrass' shoelaces.

2 firsts were floated last year as what Sydney were prepared to offer.

Looks like Hawthorn would be willing to offer a decent asking price anyway, and they'll probably have better picks.

McKay was offered that much in part so they wouldn’t have to use a draft pick on him.

“Two firsts” from Sydney would have been pick 16 last year and likely pick 16-20 this year. And that was before the contract stuff went down.

I can’t see the Hawks giving up 10 and 27 straight up for Barrass.

McKay was offered that much in part so they wouldn’t have to use a draft pick on him.

And he's a complete spud. Imagine if he was actually good?

“Two firsts” from Sydney would have been pick 16 last year and likely pick 16-20 this year. And that was before the contract stuff went down.

Yep, which would probably be fine.

I can’t see the Hawks giving up 10 and 27 straight up for Barrass.

I imagine we'd probably send a 3rd back.

Yep, ratings are 'terrible' when they don't suit your narrative.

Got it.
Darcy Moore is rated 4th and he can barely even spell 'opponent'

Barrass is good but the risk vs reward vs cost just doesn't work for me. I hope he stays at the Eagles.

Darcy Moore is rated 4th and he can barely even spell 'opponent'

Barrass is good but the risk vs reward vs cost just doesn't work for me. I hope he stays at the Eagles.
What if you lose English, meaning lobb has to go back to fwd/ruck to help Darcy. Back to relying on Jones and guys like Khamis + JOD/Buss who are still young.

That compo pick would fulfil most of the trade requirements for getting in Barrass

Id imagine whether English stays or goes affects how much the Dogs want Barrass

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Tom Barrass [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back