Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Arie Schoenmaker at 15 and ahead of teammate James Leake..

Samantha Jones Wow GIF by Max
Yeah, it's pretty early for Schoenmaker. But if we aren't at pick 4 to get top quality, I'd like to see us fix some needs with a quick and skilled mid (Wilson the preference) and a tall defender. We don't need more mid-sized defenders. After Curtain, O'Sullivan and Murphy, it's prety light on for tall defenders.

32 disposals in a NAB League final isn't something to sneeze at either.

edit: appreciate that you are way more across these guys than me, and your feedback on them

If we can hold #9 and #20 .....and consolidate #23, and Doedee compo / McAdam into another low teen pick ....exciting

Can't see Himmelberg going currently
Let's imagine that Doedee gets a band 2 ...

Could it be 20 and 23 for 10, McAdam for F2 and Himmelburg for F3? Burgess for F4?

Pick at 9, 10 and 21, and have F1, F2 X 2 and F3 X 2 for net year?

We could grab a mid/utility, tall defender and ruck.

I think we'll considate our picks, but it's hard to predict this far out how pick swaps could unfold, as that can be a bit chaotic.

We should have 9, 20, 23, Doedee compo, McAdam trade, Himmelburg trade.

We won't do six picks, but hopefully three or four?
Berg unlikely to be traded unless someone similar is traded in.

If doedee nets band 2, what to do with 3 picks right near the start of the 2nd round...the thinking if we can't trade up may be to try and snare the extra 24' 1st to build the blocks to get in ahead of a welsh bid surely. We wont be using 4 live picks you would have to think?
Sounds like pick #4 will become too expensive, but pick #10 should be gettable which gives us 2x top 10 picks.

Arie takes the kick outs which pad those stats remember, bazooka left boot but one on one defending is pretty ordinary.

Don't be surprised if the Crows take a serious look at Will Patton.
Patton seemed well regarded after the champs, but has fallen off the radar after his shoulder injury. A bit under-sized potentially, but could be a value pick up (which is fine for a key defender).

Would allow us to go for a crack at a midfielder/ ruck with upside after Wilson. Still prefer to get O'Sullivan in.

Thoughts on Murphy?

I'm still hopeful he goes. We have Burgess who can take his role as a backup tall forward and we should be grabbing a developmental ruck in the draft.

I think we should be happy he has a taker, as delisting him next year doesn't get us anything.

I think the key to Berg is that it's conceivable that he could ruck most of the day if both Strachan and ROB are injured. Burgess is way undersized for that, so I'm not sure getting him frees Berg to GWS.

I think the key to Berg is that it's conceivable that he could ruck most of the day if both Strachan and ROB are injured. Burgess is way undersized for that, so I'm not sure getting him frees Berg to GWS.
Burgess rucked for a while full time when Witts went down and actually has better ruck stats than Himmelberg in terms of hitout to advantage

I'm still hopeful he goes. We have Burgess who can take his role as a backup tall forward and we should be grabbing a developmental ruck in the draft.

I think we should be happy he has a taker, as delisting him next year doesn't get us anything.
Disagree, we need to have experienced depth.

Must keep unless we find a replacement.

Played this year when we had a good injury run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently & agree we should be aiming for another top 10 pick all our 2nds.
So the picks that are on the table are 4, 7, 10, 17

i wonder if we could do a three way trade with Geelong and GCS where we end up with 7 and Geelong end up with 10 and 17. Perhaps Geelong have to part with a F2 and 7 to get 10 and 17.

probably leaves us with 7, 9 and an early 2nd. Our other 2nds are used in the trade.

all predicated on WB getting 4 from GCS.

So the picks that are on the table are 4, 7, 10, 17

i wonder if we could do a three way trade with Geelong and GCS where we end up with 7 and Geelong end up with 10 and 17. Perhaps Geelong have to part with a F2 and 7 to get 10 and 17.

probably leaves us with 7, 9 and an early 2nd. Our other 2nds are used in the trade.

all predicated on WB getting 4 from GCS.
Why would we give up a F2 if we are already dropping back to 10+17?

That makes no sense. We’d be dropping back. We shouldn’t be giving up more for dropping back.

Why would we give up a F2 if we are already dropping back to 10+17?

That makes no sense. We’d be dropping back. We shouldn’t be giving up more for dropping back.
You do end up with 2 firsts instead of a first and a second. But not many people want to trade in to this draft, so maybe you don't want to.

What about 7 for 10, 24 and 48. Lets you take your mandatory 3 picks without trading in from next year?

You do end up with 2 firsts instead of a first and a second. But not many people want to trade in to this draft, so maybe you don't want to.

What about 7 for 10, 24 and 48. Lets you take your mandatory 3 picks without trading in from next year?

Yeah that sounds more likely, I wouldn’t be trading future picks when

A) we need them to keep bringing in more youth

B) Next years draft is way deeper than this one which is compromised to all hell.

Crows can jump up the board and grab a talent they want, Cats get more young talent in.
Win/Win

When is our compo announced?
Hopefully after they read the submission demands from the Crows after the goal umpiring incident... as we should be getting the special herbs & spices.

Burgess rucked for a while full time when Witts went down and actually has better ruck stats than Himmelberg in terms of hitout to advantage

Not convinced he can maintain first ruck duties. The 3 games he rucked were up against Chol, earlyish English and very late Mumford and he was beaten by them all. Happy to be wrong but reckon they’ll want someone other than him before releasing Berg

Not convinced he can maintain first ruck duties. The 3 games he rucked were up against Chol, earlyish English and very late Mumford and he was beaten by them all. Happy to be wrong but reckon they’ll want someone other than him before releasing Berg
He's only a backup though, right? Himmelberg would be comfortably beaten by every first ruck in the league

He's only a backup though, right? Himmelberg would be comfortably beaten by every first ruck in the league
No, Himmelberg is a far better ruck option than Burgess, who would also be behind ROB, Thilthorpe & Strachan.

Statistically Burgess is a better ruck than Himmelberg
Go & study the best players statistically & tell me whether they really are all the best players in the AFL.

Need to combine football knowledge with stats to be a good judge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back