Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Assuming (huge assumption) that this was true, if he goes to Carlton, does his salary come off our cap (under the TPP) or are we still stuck with his salary being taken out of our TPP amount? I understand Carlton might pay out his contract, but what happens to our TPP in that situation?

Think you pay it with milk and cookies from the gumdrop rainbow cloud in this imaginary scenario

Assuming (huge assumption) that this was true, if he goes to Carlton, does his salary come off our cap (under the TPP) or are we still stuck with his salary being taken out of our TPP amount? I understand Carlton might pay out his contract, but what happens to our TPP in that situation?
He is off our books and assumes a new contract with Carlton
Although sometimes part of the conditions of a trade can include the former club paying a portion of the players salary
I think this yr a portion of H Shaw salary was on collingwoods tpp

From memory he signed a 5 year deal, didn't he?

Be hard to load too much into one year if that's the case.

Not considering our circumstances at the time.
Most of our premiership stars had finished up and we were in rebuilding mode with the youngsters not yet breaking through to demand the big dollars.
It was a very smart move by the club.

Not considering our circumstances at the time.
Most of our premiership stars had finished up and we were in rebuilding mode with the youngsters not yet breaking through to demand the big dollars.
It was a very smart move by the club.

Aren't those circumstances how you managed to find room for Tippett, then Franklin?

Reid re-signed in 2011. Goodes, Bolton, O'Keefe, McVeigh, Richards etc. were all still playing.

Prior to that you lost Hall, O'Loughlin, Crouch, Barry & Kirk but you used that to bring in Kennedy, Mumford, McGlynn, Seaby, Bradshaw etc.

I never said he would leave. In fact I stated in my original post I think he will stay.

Doesn't change the fact you had to buy a father son pick's loyalty. It's not a slight against the club. You gotta do what you have to do. It's more a blight on Mitchell.

Why is that a blight on Mitchell ?
Pre-draft he wanted to stay in WA and play for Fremantle.
He had a WA girlfriend at the time, who I believe stayed in Perth.
Swans offered extra money to convince him and it worked, well done by them.
He is a quality kid who I would love at WCE, if he wanted to come to WA.
I suspect he would pick Freo over WCE though if he wanted to move.

Playing under Lyon would be similar to playing under Longmire.
I reckon if Mitchell did want to leave - he'd choose WC, would be a great fit aswell.
But.. IMO he'll go to a Vic based club.

Very one dimensional, it may be overs at Sydney, I think West Coast need a quality midfielder & its value for us at $4-500k.

West Coast need a quality midfielder with pace. If you guys got Mitchell you would be getting Priddis 2.0

Swans offered him the money to stop him from going to GWS which is not in WA.

Wasn't Mitchell the one who turned his back on GWS?

How many clubs are after this kid? Adelaide demanded him in the failed Tippett trade as well.

You do realize he plays NEAFL? a competition which is below the standard of A-grade Ammos in Melbourne

Aren't those circumstances how you managed to find room for Tippett, then Franklin?

Reid re-signed in 2011. Goodes, Bolton, O'Keefe, McVeigh, Richards etc. were all still playing.

Prior to that you lost Hall, O'Loughlin, Crouch, Barry & Kirk but you used that to bring in Kennedy, Mumford, McGlynn, Seaby, Bradshaw etc.

THe money the players were on that we lost (Hall, Kirk, Micky O and probably Bolton) was much greater than that which we spent on Kennedy, McGlynn, Seaby, Mummy & Braddy even though Mummy and Braddy were on good deals.
It is widely recognised that we did not have a team of stars, most of the players would have been on the same amount, some of the players Goodes and ROK would reasonably be expected to be on good coin.
It was not very difficult for us to squeeze in Tippett, we had plenty of cap space.
We were still carrying over the remnants of Braddy's contract even though he hadn't played for 2 years, we lost Mummy (who was on good coin), Goodes, ROK, LRT all made the veterans list...it is not such a big stretch to fit in Buddy. We made sacrifices, most of our list was already signed to 2016.
Let's see what happens when we need to resign everyone again in 2 years, then we will be in the same position as Geelong a few years ago, but that's footy, we have a good crop of youngsters and we are prepared to make sacrifices. Some teams, not mentioning any names, think there is a short cut to success with endless draft picks. We have won 2 flags in 10 years after busting most of our first round picks and picking up rejects here, there and everywhere.
All the hoo-haa about the talent on our list is just pure jealousy.
All the hoo-haa about players wanting to leave is just pure nonsense.
Mitchell is on good money, playing for a contender. Why would he want to leave?
Everyone knows he is best 22 when fit, but the simple fact is if he continues to get injured he can't be best 22 whether he is at Carlton, West Coast, Fremantle or Sydney.

It's the same old story with Swans fans. Every player coming in is on peanuts, every player going out creates massive cap space. $300k for guys like Jared Moore and Mark Seaby but your Shawys your Kennedys your Benny McGlynns all play for love.:rolleyes:

For all those words you think you could at least get right that you signed Tippett a year earlier than trading Mumford.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the same old story with Swans fans. Every player coming in is on peanuts, every player going out creates massive cap space.
Your usual hysterical exaggerations aside, players' valued can rise over successive contracts. It happens pretty regularly.

The point was that most of our players were on about roughly the same amount apart from Goodesy and ROK and perhaps one or 2 others.
We did not pay McGlynn + Kennedy massive amounts they came for opportunity.
Never said we traded Mummy because of Tippo because that didn't happen til a year later derrrrr.
Again, we did not have a whole heap of stars on huge paychecks. A combination of factors made it possible. And yes, COLA was one of those factors, but NOT the only factor as has been trumpeted by buffoons like Eddie and sooky la-la Hawks and Crows fans.

It's the same old story with Swans fans. Every player coming in is on peanuts, every player going out creates massive cap space. $300k for guys like Jared Moore and Mark Seaby but your Shawys your Kennedys your Benny McGlynns all play for love.:rolleyes:

For all those words you think you could at least get right that you signed Tippett a year earlier than trading Mumford.

no shit we signed Tippett the same years bradshaw's back ended contract finally came off our book's.
it's called list management, "love" doesn't come into it. we sign guys for contracts we can afford and being in a city where most players have no family or support around them, mean they become tighter with the club and playing group. as such its far more likely that guys that want to leave do so because they are after more money. rather then there being rifts between players and officals. The club hasn't ****ed it up yet, So please forgive us if we continue to trust the club over bigfooty.

let's see the site which has prematurely predicted our fall every year.
has consistently made incorrect calls about our trades.
Invents conspiracy theories and report rumors as facts.

or the list management that has seen us play finals year, after year, after year.
Which would you choose?

. If you actually paid everyone on average as much as you apparently paid guys like Seaby and Moore than you would be a couple of million over the (extended) salary cap.
Why would everyone on the list be paid the same as a player that was targeted as a ruck and replacement for Jolly and a player on his third or fourth contract who was in the leadership group?

Why would everyone on the list be paid the same as a player that was targeted as a ruck and replacement for Jolly and a player on his third or fourth contract who was in the leadership group?

The point was that most of our players were on about roughly the same amount apart from Goodesy and ROK and perhaps one or 2 others.

Are Seaby and Moore your 'one or two others'?

You're patching together half statements again. I don't think Number37 is correct, but at the same time, most other players being on roughly the same amount isn't the same as every player being on the exact same as Seaby and Moore. You're arguing on the exact same level as those you're mocking.

Let's try to make it easy for you to understand.

On average for EVERY team;
The bottom 6 players are usually kids on minimum wage, yes?
The next ten are on 100-200, yes?
The next 15 are on 200+, yes?
The rest are your best paid players, yes?

So, clubs spend roughly;
1/5 of their cap on their bottom 16 players
1/3-2/5 of their cap on their middle 15 players
2/5-1/2 of their cap on their top 15 players

Yes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back