Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe he might of stayed with Roos when he came across from Perth once the year we drafted him, but he didn't move in with him when he was drafted because his father is working at the club so there is that small matter that people like yourself keep overlooking. As for a pick, tempted maybe but we aren't pressed to do so, he isn't looking to leave and we are wanting him to find his fitness so he can get a game.

As for his contract its, 5 years $1.5 million so yeah I think more clubs than just Melbourne could accommodate his contract so don't kid yourself that Melbourne are the only option open if we do trade.

Where did I say Melbourne was the only option? Melbourne could be an option, because our draft picks could net you a young KPP such as Durdin or maybe even Wright - and I reckon we would be prepared to pay top price for a good midfielder who can contribute immediately. I am told Mitchells current salary is far more than 300k - so if the 5 year deal you mention is correct, then perhaps it is back ended? If Sydney wants to look at someone like Frawley - or if they are concerned about fitting in all of their up and coming mids alongside their big names, then Mitchell could be a good option to trade.

His manager has commented that he has received no interest from Melbourne so I would say that is far more credible than yourself. That aside remember he isn't after a final pay check he is after a 3 year deal and the main interest has come from West Coast and Fremantle. So don't act as if he has a) picked Melbourne and b) how we have to deal with your club

What did you expect his manager to say? In any case, if you think Melbourne hasnt inquired about Malceski (along with others), then you have your head stuck in the sand. And when I say he is after a final 'paycheck', I mean he is probably looking at his final contract. He'll want it to be a good one. Baring in mind that he can put himself into the PSD and still get to Melbourne, Sydney would want to do a deal.

Also, why are you being so belligerent? I thought I put up a reasonable and sensible trade scenario?

Maybe people should try and get informed on the issue before they start offering their opinions. The only reason Mitchell has not been in the team was because of injuries. It would be like starting a thread saying some club should go for Cyril Rioli as clearly Hawthorn do not rate him as they have not played him a lot this season.

How can you ignore the salary component of Mitchells deal at the Swans? Get informed, who you?

What did you expect his manager to say? In any case, if you think Melbourne hasnt inquired about Malceski (along with others), then you have your head stuck in the sand. And when I say he is after a final 'paycheck', I mean he is probably looking at his final contract. He'll want it to be a good one. Baring in mind that he can put himself into the PSD and still get to Melbourne, Sydney would want to do a deal.

Also, why are you being so belligerent? I thought I put up a reasonable and sensible trade scenario?

If he wants to play in a competitive team he won't want to go to psd. If Geelong, Richmond etc want him I'm sure they will be happy to trade for him.

If he wants to play in a competitive team he won't want to go to psd. If Geelong, Richmond etc want him I'm sure they will be happy to trade for him.

That's by far the biggest challenge for us now - convincing good players to come across. Its going to be a tough sell after our drop off in the past 5 or 6 weeks.

That said, if all Malceski is after is success, then I'm certain he could just sign a small contract to stay right where he is.

He is signed until the end of the 2016 season so that just isn't true. We committed his contract to the cap for the next two years way back in October 2011, its not something that can move in and out of the cap to suit.

Yes depending on how match fit he is.

Just saw a strong rumour he is headed to carlton and they will pay out the remainder of his contract to sydney.

Just saw a strong rumour he is headed to carlton and they will pay out the remainder of his contract to sydney.
There it is...it goes round and round.
Some twit on radio in Melb tried to make out he had some scoop Sydney were paying Mithcell 300K, then it soon became 400K then of course it must go to 500K to keep the nuffy's listening.
The amazing scoop about Mitchell going to carlton has been around for months. Started the same shit way and now its being revisited like people are "in the know".
He'll be at Sydney next year at least...no sal cap troubles and he's a required player. Simply had an up and down unlucky season with injury and timing. Not exactly ground breaking stuff for a youngster.

Didnt Barry Mitchell exit Carlton very 'unhappy' - I'd suggest he would not recommend the Blues.

His problem was Dennis Pagan, not Carlton. He stayed on at Carlton years after he finished as a player, he loves the place.

Having developed a close relationship with Carlton Reserves coach Wayne Brittain in ’96, Mitchell spent the immediate years after his retirement acting as the senior team’s runner – a role that continued through to 2004, when he himself was appointed as coach of the Blues’ VFL affiliate, the Northern Bullants. By then, ex- North Melbourne Premiership coach Denis Pagan had taken over as senior coach at Princes Park. Unfortunately for all concerned, the relationship between he and Mitchell was never a warm one.

In 2007, Mitchell left Carlton to take up an offer from Hawthorn. As coach of the Box Hill Hawks, he played a significant role in Hawthorn’s march to the 2008 AFL Premiership, and that in turn brought a number of approaches from other clubs. Having achieved the ultimate with Hawthorn, Mitchell stepped up to another challenge and joined the Fremantle Dockers as assistant coach in 2009.
From: http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Barry+Mitchell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alot of hype for a midfielder who's played 18 games in 3 years and averages 18 touches a game. He started well but didnt do much after that and now has injury issues as well.

Would you really want to give up a high pick and pay this guy 500k a year ?

They certainly picked the logical destination/suitor in Carlton..thats IFF he was leaving. Thats why these things gather legs. It must be at least half sensible or some club linkage to it, or the rumour dies a sudden death.
Would be 10 clubs that would luv him...but he hasnt even established himself in a 22 yet. All part of the silly overriding assumption that Sydney must have some sort of cap issues after snaring Franklin.....we did of course have 8 players come off the list last yr and freed up >2mill, and took Franklin for half that. Doesnt seem to register with many because they wish there was something more than Sydney simply taking on a large duration risk, whilst paying a realistic market price these days for a superstar.

Alot of hype for a midfielder who's played 18 games in 3 years and averages 18 touches a game. He started well but didnt do much after that and now has injury issues as well.

Would you really want to give up a high pick and pay this guy 500k a year ?

I believe the Eagles need to consider it, played his teenage years in Perth, genuine good footballer.

My understanding is he was encouraged to challenge Pagan, & when he did, no one, not a one supported him, resulting in a bitter view of the way Carlton operates.

Not sure about that, you might be right?

My memory of his last year was that we had a situation where the senior coach and the coach of the reserves did not talk to each other for the whole season. Cannot remember anything about him being dirty on the club, more Pagan.

LOL 500k a season for Mitchell

That figure keeps rising every month

He signed a 5 yr deal worth around 1.5M, which is still alot, but nowhere near 500k per season
So out out contract at end of 2016

Swanton, serious q, not trolling.

Do you (or others) know ballpark what Sam Reid is getting paid?

another young un who signed a long term deal. I've never been able to find any reliable-ish indication of $$$

Assuming (huge assumption) that this was true, if he goes to Carlton, does his salary come off our cap (under the TPP) or are we still stuck with his salary being taken out of our TPP amount? I understand Carlton might pay out his contract, but what happens to our TPP in that situation?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Mitchell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back