Oppo Camp Tom Phillips (Traded to Hawthorn 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

So tough for a kid debuting under those circumstances but he deserved a game and wasn't out worse player (Hi JW). The question now is do we keep playing the likes of Maynard, Crocker and Phillips who obviously need more development.

I say yes. Noting else to play for now.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So tough for a kid debuting under those circumstances but he deserved a game and wasn't out worse player (Hi JW). The question now is do we keep playing the likes of Maynard, Crocker and Phillips who obviously need more development.

crocker and maynard need to go back to the 2s.

crocker and maynard need to go back to the 2s.
I won't be against it if that happens. But can see that their games are developing in seniors even if they aren't offering us much at the moment.
On Maynard why the hell has he not been tried in another position? Its embarrassing that we don't even try the kid in another spot when he is struggling so badly down back.

you'd have thought this represented an excellent debut. Even in a victorious team!
I guess you go to the old adage: THE STATS DON'T TELL THE FULL STORY (but neither do BF threads)

No stats don't tell the full story, that's why I also wrote a couple of sentences about how I felt he went yesterday but you chose not to quote that part of my post.

No stats don't tell the full story, that's why I also wrote a couple of sentences about how I felt he went yesterday but you chose not to quote that part of my post.
Ah ... you've read me the wrong way. Your post was nearly the only positive response and with stats that firmly countered all the negativity in the thread, and yet if you take the thread as whole you read Phillips' debut as an unmitigated disaster.
I didn't watch the game, so I came here for a perspective on how he went and I didn't get it till I read your post.

Ah ... you've read me the wrong way. Your post was nearly the only positive response and with stats that firmly countered all the negativity in the thread, and yet if you take the thread as whole you read Phillips' debut as an unmitigated disaster.
I didn't watch the game, so I came here for a perspective on how he went and I didn't get it till I read your post.

Forgive me there... I think we're all fairly on edge at the moment.

I think we don't need to necessarily just keep playing kids now...but I think we need to really start addressing our structural issues and finding out what is our best 22.

For me, I think we have a number of experienced players on the list languishing in the vfl. Maybe the minds have been made up on guys like Macaffer and Toovey, but I think there is still potential for Brown, Cloke and Goldsack to have an impact.

I'd be naming a pretty mature side next week, and balance that with youth as well.

For example, I'd like to see the following:

In: Cloke, Brown, Goldsack, Wills, Aish
Out: Witts, Frost, Cox, Crocker, Blair

This side has experience and youth. Phillips definitely deserves another crack. I'd love to give Wills a crack because we are getting smashed in clearances, and Wills is a bull in this area.

With Goldsack coming back, maybe it is time now for Howe back into the forward line. I think long term Howe is a better defender, but I also think we need to test him up forward now that he is back to full match fitness.

The team would be:

Goldsack, Brown, Marsh
Williams, Reid, Sinclair
Crisp, Treloar, Phillips
Howe, White, De Goey
Varcoe, Cloke, Sidebottom

Grundy, Pendlebury, Greenwood

Aish, Wills, Maynard, Smith

1st year player, got to give him a chance. will not judge this year, but wait to at least the end of next year.
way too soon to judge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought his game was fine. Certainly started with nerves but thats totally understandable. I really liked some of his efforts later in the game, threw himself in to the contest. I think we need to give him a block of 5 games and he will grow as a player. Lets face it we are not going to make finals and I would prefer to put some development into a kid who is going to have a crack.

The reason players like Crocker and Philips are gettting a game at all this early in their careers is because we are running out of cattle

You've got to love this post.
Phillips overlooked from about two drafts, keeps persisting, manages to play TAC as an overage.
Finally gets the chance of his AFL lifelong dream to play AFL by being selected on a list.
Massive preseason - surprizes everyone by winning a time trial. He busts a gut for this. Plays some good games in the VFL busting that gut and using the ball well. Then finally makes his debut, a good news story really seens as where he came from. Doesn't star, probably average but a long way to go. Then some joe blow comes on a bulletin board, with ^^^ response. Kind of made me LOL. FWIW, I don't think Phillipis will make it either, I guess you need to laugh and have a sense of humour seeings how hard Phillips has worked to live the dream, and then this reply just because he didn't cut someone's mustard.
I couldn't care if it was his first, 3rd or 1000th game, yesterday he proved he wasn't up to it.
In a years time he might be, but going on yesterday, he's a long way off, which might explain why he was overlooked in 2 drafts.

I couldn't care if it was his first, 3rd or 1000th game, yesterday he proved he wasn't up to it.
In a years time he might be, but going on yesterday, he's a long way off, which might explain why he was overlooked in 2 drafts.
long way off?
Ok

Buckley needs to give some of these guys that have dominated at VFL level more than 1 chance in the seniors.

He has been, e.g. Smith, Crocker and of course Cox. All of those guys have had a good run in the seniors, after performing at the lower level. Goodyear is the exception.

He has been, e.g. Smith, Crocker and of course Cox. All of those guys have had a good run in the seniors, after performing at the lower level. Goodyear is the exception.

Even then, Goodyear did have two games at AFL level, albeit quite a few games apart and not in his natural position of inside mid. Either way, he was very underwhelming.

Wills is probably the other one who deserves a go now. I'd expect to see him get a few games between now and the end of the year. Why not I say..

He struggled, but wasn't our worst sub 10 game player (tie between Cox and Crocker) and I'd stick with him for a month to see how he adjusts with the season shot to shit. Overall our player development is bottom 4 league wide currently so I'm relatively pleased with his progression in 2016!

long way off?
Ok
With a full list to pick from is he in our best 22 or 30 players?
He was picked because we are running out of players and is a long way off AFL standard, that will come with time (hopefully).

He wasn't our worst, but some of those below him haven't been that bad over the space of 5 weeks.

I'm not sure if he should get 4 more games to get up to the pace, but from what I saw on Monday he is not up to it yet

Very Good Chance for the Rd14 Rising Star Nomination

I think he needed a bigger 2nd half... The judges are under pressure to give mills a nom for general form over the season, but he keeps getting pipped by guys having a gun game. Sicily (bag of goals) last week forced Mills to wait a bit longer. Not sure Phillips had the game to keep the judges from giving mills the nom. But geez he has given it a shake...perhaps next week

I think he needed a bigger 2nd half... The judges are under pressure to give mills a nom for general form over the season, but he keeps getting pipped by guys having a gun game. Sicily (bag of goals) last week forced Mills to wait a bit longer. Not sure Phillips had the game to keep the judges from giving mills the nom. But geez he has given it a shake...perhaps next week

Don't think the Swans are playing this week. Screwdriver had a very nice game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back