Too many "good" players still unsigned

Remove this Banner Ad

There are far too many quality players coming out of contract this year and no word on contract negotiations.

I had hoped that we would have had a few signatures in the mid-season break. Admittedly, there may still be a few before the weekend, but it's not looking likely.

Now we know krakouer has put off contract negotiations until the end of the year and there are strong rumours that he's off to the GC (good luck with the homesickness up there matey). Boak is another one that is heavily linked to a move back to victoria, especially is Geelong lose Ablett, which is looking increasingly likely.

There are a few other names, which I view as important to our future success that are yet to sign: Salojet, Trengove, Kornes and D.Stewart. When you add Krakouer and Boak to that list and consider Broadbent and Banner are also unsigned but still have potential, it's a fair chunk of what will be the better part of our best 22 in the coming years.

Get on with it Rohde!

There are far too many quality players coming out of contract this year and no word on contract negotiations.

I had hoped that we would have had a few signatures in the mid-season break. Admittedly, there may still be a few before the weekend, but it's not looking likely.

Now we know krakouer has put off contract negotiations until the end of the year and there are strong rumours that he's off to the GC (good luck with the homesickness up there matey). Boak is another one that is heavily linked to a move back to victoria, especially is Geelong lose Ablett, which is looking increasingly likely.

There are a few other names, which I view as important to our future success that are yet to sign: Salojet, Trengove, Kornes and D.Stewart. When you add Krakouer and Boak to that list and consider Broadbent and Banner are also unsigned but still have potential, it's a fair chunk of what will be the better part of our best 22 in the coming years.

Get on with it Rohde!

Are all the contracts qued behind Boak and Salopek perhaps?

A queue is possible, but we have so much space in our cap i'd be surprised if Boak and Salojet were holding everyone else back.

Yeah it is getting concerning. If we lose a couple this year we are really starting to look like a feeder club, and free agency hasn't even come in yet!

Been saying it for a month now, until footy is completely restructured here in SA both clubs will end up as these types of clubs, we are a stepping stone for brighter things.

Inthe end Adelaide city will need salary concessions to keep and attract players!

That seems to be the usual way Port conducts trading or contracts - worry so much about one that everything else gets stuffed up by inattention. We aren't near our cap, all contracts should be able to be negotiated concurrently. Although that may be beyond the skills of our 'esteemed' off-field staff :eek:

That seems to be the usual way Port conducts trading or contracts - worry so much about one that everything else gets stuffed up by inattention. We aren't near our cap, all contracts should be able to be negotiated concurrently. Although that may be beyond the skills of our 'esteemed' off-field staff :eek:

My worry on this front is Peter Rhode was a football person first and foremost, a negotiator second. His negotiation skills are not going to be in the same ballpark as a player agent.

Because of this we will always struggle in this area. We really need a negotiator with football nouse to perform this role.

Peter Rohde. Another embarrassing name in our football department.

Our entire football dept is a joke. With Rohde, Choco, Primus, Cripps and Kingsley at the helm - this once great club is destined for many more years of crap football, players leaving, fans leaving and sponsors leaving.

We are a basket case.

The AFL should do us a favour and take away our licence while we still have some dignity left and haven't completely shat on 135 years of greatness...

Get on with it Rohde!

Salojet - injury prone and what is he now 25yo... should be our #1 midfielder by now but isn't.
Trengove - good signs but hardly a "Good" player just yet... "Potential" player definitely.
Kornes - better off without him IMO.
D. Stewart - see Trengove.
Krakouer - is his heart in the club? Doubt it.... let him go and get compo.
Boak - yep the best on that list, still ball-butcherer, but yes re-sign.
Broadbent - fringe player from what I have seen... hardly "Good".
Banner - see Broadbent.

Hardly our "good" players on this years form TBH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've pretty much accepted that we'll lose a quality player + more in this offseason, unless Choco is gone this year.

What reason do players have to stay here with Choco when they could be on more dollars and playing in premierships at the GC, or at Geelong?

One of Boak/Sala and probably Krak. Good luck to them. I feel sorry for anyone we draft, especially the ones we take a risk on that pretty much have to repay the faith by signing up again (Gray, Hartlett, Treggers)

is it possible that the unsigned players are waiting to see who's coaching next yr before they sign?? i kno i wouldnt be sticking around if our deplorable coach is still in charge and franky really considering postponing my port supporting till he leaves!

Bingo!

Their contracts would be worth a lot and they would determine what is left in the cap to offer to others.

I happens all the time at all 15 other AFL clubs.

Bingo!

Their contracts would be worth a lot and they would determine what is left in the cap to offer to others.

I happens all the time at all 15 other AFL clubs.

Refreshing to see I can get someone to see my logic occassionally :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Too many "good" players still unsigned

Remove this Banner Ad

Back