toughest 5 blokes in your team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Brown
Hodge
Lewis
Sewell
Guerra

AGREED!! I THINK THE HAWKS TOUGHNESS IS BEING UNDER SOLD ON THIS TREAD!
ADD MITCHELL ROBBIE CAMPBELL OSSIE THE YOUNG HAWKS CAN MIX IT WITH THE TOUGHEST!!!

btw, lloyd is piss weak.

[youtube]k851vfRrMMA[/youtube]

Yep, piss weak.

LOL!! The thread on here which had the 5 softest players in the league, His name came up a hell of a lot of the time, and now you say he is in your 5 hardest players???

Monfries isn't "tough" but nor is he soft.
This kid puts his head and his body on the line.

His courage is unquestionable, despite his small frame.
It became his trademark in his first 20 games, his game against West Coast very early in his career at Subi was highlighted by his ability to dive at the footy James Hird like.

1. Hall
2. Kirk
3. C. Bolton
4. Leo Barry
5. Goodes

Special mention to former Swans player Darren Cresswell. A few years ago he dislocated and then bashed his knee cap back into place whilst on the field. After a short rest he returned to the game and continued playing.

has nothing to do with punching on, basically just on the field toughness , hard at the ball and hard at the man players, name your 5 toughest:thumbsu:
From North -
Pratt
Firrito
Swallow
Harris
Jones
doesnt have to be in order either guys:thumbsu:

Good, because 'punching- on' isn't tough, it's thuggery.

For Geelong (in no particular order):
1. Cameron Ling
Pits himself against some of the games best athletes week, week out, and despite his physical disadvantages pushes himself to the limit through sheer disdain for being beaten to win out again and again. Loves the in and under stuff, not afraid to sacrifice for his team.

2. Joel Selwood
Anyone who saw this kid play in 2007, knows he's a tough nut. Tackles hard, wins the contested footy and is always uncompromising around the packs.

3. Matthew Scarlett
This bloke is as hard boned and durable as any guy at the club if not the league. Any player who can not only hold his ground but 9 times out of 10 beat the likes of Gerhig, Tredrea, Hall etc, despite being undersized is tough in my book. Scarlo is a seriously fierce competitor. Never fazed whether dropping back to fill holes or being pitted one out with the game on the line etc.

4. Max Rooke
Maxxy has a blatant disregard for his own personal safety. He tackles like an NFL Linebacker, just without the padding. Hard, corageous, he basically personifies what it means to be a tough player. You know come the end of the end he'll have pushed himself to the brink of physical exhaustion.

5. Cameron Mooney
The guy has a huge physical presence. Busts open packs, takes the big contested grab, intimidates, and he's ability to lock the ball in to the forward 50 with his pressure is very underrated. When his anger is channeled correctly he is genuinely tough.

Kudos to James Bartel, Matty Egan and Paul Chapman.

hawks fans can say they are tough, but they were outdone by the roos in the semi final. they focused to heavily on appearing "tough" and the roos went hard at the footy and won the game.

theres a certain mix that is needed for toughness to have a positive impact on the team.

hawks fans can say they are tough, but they were outdone by the roos in the semi final. they focused to heavily on appearing "tough" and the roos went hard at the footy and won the game.

theres a certain mix that is needed for toughness to have a positive impact on the team.
true that.

The toughest player in comp

Is Josh Carr. Absolute machine in the middle of every biff, courageous as they come and never takes a backward step. Love him as a player
Starts everything, I loved it when the two Carr brothers were grabbing NLM and he decked Josh with a swift jumper jab

Perspective is such a large part of defining "tough" and "dirty". I'm sure plenty of footy lovers would have Carr in the "dirty" basket
Solomon's another one. His last few years at Essendon were blighted by late bumps, head-high hits, and free kick after free kick. Moves to Freo - people's hero! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good, because 'punching- on' isn't tough, it's thuggery.

For Geelong (in no particular order):
1. Cameron Ling
Pits himself against some of the games best athletes week, week out, and despite his physical disadvantages pushes himself to the limit through sheer disdain for being beaten to win out again and again. Loves the in and under stuff, not afraid to sacrifice for his team.

2. Joel Selwood
Anyone who saw this kid play in 2007, knows he's a tough nut. Tackles hard, wins the contested footy and is always uncompromising around the packs.

3. Matthew Scarlett
This bloke is as hard boned and durable as any guy at the club if not the league. Any player who can not only hold his ground but 9 times out of 10 beat the likes of Gerhig, Tredrea, Hall etc, despite being undersized is tough in my book. Scarlo is a seriously fierce competitor. Never fazed whether dropping back to fill holes or being pitted one out with the game on the line etc.

4. Max Rooke
Maxxy has a blatant disregard for his own personal safety. He tackles like an NFL Linebacker, just without the padding. Hard, corageous, he basically personifies what it means to be a tough player. You know come the end of the end he'll have pushed himself to the brink of physical exhaustion.

5. Cameron Mooney
The guy has a huge physical presence. Busts open packs, takes the big contested grab, intimidates, and he's ability to lock the ball in to the forward 50 with his pressure is very underrated. When his anger is channeled correctly he is genuinely tough.

Kudos to James Bartel, Matty Egan and Paul Chapman.

I reckon Tom Harley should get a mention as well, the bloke is constantly backing into packs. Joel Corey wouldn't be too far off it as well, he's your typical in-and-under ball player who focuses on nothing else.

Beau Waters - He eats goldfish for breakfast
Quiten Lynch - He ended a career.
Darren Glass - There are plans afoot to build WAs new stadium exclusively on Dazzas right shoulder. There should be enough room for a massive carpark too
Matt Priddis - The tackling enigma. He tackles players like I tackle drunk bitches. Very well
Michael Braun - If anyone sees the pain he is in at the end of a game you would understand why. Hard as nails

As far as the eagles go, you'd have to put Hunter at the top of the list. As much as the bloke is an absolute drop kick, you have to admire his hardness at the ball.

You'd probably also include Cous... oh wait, but certainly Chic... maybe not :p

[youtube]k851vfRrMMA[/youtube]

Yep, piss weak.

Monfries isn't "tough" but nor is he soft.
This kid puts his head and his body on the line.

His courage is unquestionable, despite his small frame.
It became his trademark in his first 20 games, his game against West Coast very early in his career at Subi was highlighted by his ability to dive at the footy James Hird like.

You don't have a clip of the 3 quarter time scuffle with Nathan Carroll from earlier this year do you? That showed just how tough Lloydy is.... took a dive then waited until Nath had his back turned and knocked him to the ground.

Good shout about Monfries though, like the way he goes about his football and look forward to seeing him in the guts more this year.:thumbsu:

From my mob, I'd say:

Whelan
Jones
McLean
Rivers
McDonald

would be our 5 toughest with apologies to Neitz and Carroll.

Scott Burns (obviously)
Heath Shaw
Dane Swan
Harry O'Brien
Nick Maxwell

I'm excluding Rocca for wfa reasons. He's as tough as they come, but he does have a massive weight advantage so you expect him to play that way.

Similarly on a wfa rationale, I give special mention to Dale Thomas. He's fearless, despite weighing just 25 kg dripping wet.

Starts everything, I loved it when the two Carr brothers were grabbing NLM and he decked Josh with a swift jumper jab

Perspective is such a large part of defining "tough" and "dirty". I'm sure plenty of footy lovers would have Carr in the "dirty" basket
Solomon's another one. His last few years at Essendon were blighted by late bumps, head-high hits, and free kick after free kick. Moves to Freo - people's hero! :D

Freo people have a very distorted view of what it means to be tough.

Someone please pitch them some highlight tapes of Michael Voss or James Hird or Wayne Schimmelbusch or Francis Bourke.

Anybody can come out and make statements and bring up isolated games/incidents to prove there point. Only a week before the Roos game did you see Hodge's efforts against the Crows, Lethal Leigh said that Hodge's courage and leadership reminded him of Voss. Don't know how many times I have seen Campbell Brown run with the flight of the ball to smother and gets absolutely smashed in the process not caring about his well being. I can also bring up isolated incidents which does show that Hawthorn have a bit more resolve and have used it appopriately.

For the youngest list in 2007 (going into the season) I am sure that Hawks players would have learnt from the Roos game and take that experience into next year. Hawks definately took the wrong approach into the Roos game and they will learn from it, we had bugger all finals experience compared to Roos who have a few premiership players!

Eagles toughest:rolleyes:

Waters - that collision with J Brown last year was unbelievable. Always looks for body on body without going head high.

B Jones - The English Patient (Most consistant player to finish games with a bandaged head:D)

Kerr - Pound for pound he's just a bull terrier, everyone tries to smash him and he goes back for more:eek:

Hunter - a couple of years ago he ran back to spoil Lloyd on a lead, clashed heads, split his and knocked out Lloyd:eek:. Never steps back.

Braun - One of the smallest players in the comp, trains hard and throws his body into every contest. Gets plenty dished out to him but continues to play the ball.

As for Freo, tough isn't dishing out head high crap and playing the man for two games against the Eagles and for the rest of the season slapping the opposition with limp wrists and purple hand bags.

I reckon Tom Harley should get a mention as well, the bloke is constantly backing into packs. Joel Corey wouldn't be too far off it as well, he's your typical in-and-under ball player who focuses on nothing else.

I've read all the Geelong lists, and mostly they're right on the money. My own would be something like:

Rooke, Chapman, Ling, Scarlett, Mooney

I could easily add any of half a dozen others (Bartel, Milburn, Corey, G.Ablett etc).

And I'm amazed that no Geelong supporter named Milburn even once.

Remove this Banner Ad

toughest 5 blokes in your team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back