List Mgmt. Trade and F/A 2020 Cont’d

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To summarise: We want players to want us who we don't want.

Oh, and we want the club to trade players we don't want even if they don't want to. But we also don't want to trade some players who want to stay because the club doesn't want them.
So I guess you are saying......same as yesterday? :p

Moore could play predominantly as a key forward and relieve through the ruck. He can do pretty much whatever he wants. In saying that, having seen the success of Richo on a wing, Riewoldt on a wing. Having a good tall on a wing who can push forward and hit goals I see as more advantageous than a regular key forward, as they're more involved more often and for more of the game as they can play intuitive football and go where they know the ball will be - meaning he can push back and take intercept marks if the flow of the game suggests that, or he can push forward, provide a marking target, and no wing can reasonably contest him. I feel like that's the way the game will eventually go and I did a YouTube video on this exploring how the wing position should be played. Would you prefer a Lachie Whitfield, an Andrew Gaff on a wing? Or a Nick Riewoldt or Matthew Richardson? I'd personally take the Riewoldt/Richo model where you're getting 200+ marks, 40+ goals and team high or near team high mark i50 and contested mark numbers. The bonus with this model is when they push forward, the they're much higher % targets as they'll be loose more often and won't have suitable opponents as opposed to if used purely as a key forward, key defenders are so good these days that it's so hard to impact games consistently, let alone win more contests than not. So if Moore has the endurance to play that kind of role and cover enough ground as per Riewoldt and Richo, at ruck height, that's a remarkable weapon to have.

As for mids. There are a lot out there.

Among those bargain basement inside mids, I mentioned in my AFL moneyball offseason targets video: Brayshaw, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Caldwell, Hately, W.Brodie, Constable, M.Kennedy.
And I could add Dunkley to that list. David Mundy for a short term rental at no cost given his age I'd be very receptive to. Sydney Stack although I classed him as a utility in the video has the scope to be a really good mid - but is equally excellent at either end of the field. Aaron Hall I still like. So there are lots of good mids out there who are either underutilised or poorly utilised and can be had under what I feel their value should be, albeit asking prices will vary wildly. Some are your first possession winners, others have speed.
Through the draft, if the Pies get pick 5, I'm all about Will Phillips. He's the direct Treloar replacement and from round 1, year 1 he can absorb those midfield minutes. He's basically in a Collingwood context Treloar before the hamstrings and losing his pace.

I don't like the idea of playing your best key position player out of position on a wing. I think key position is critical to structure and winning football games, that elite key position players are rare, and that we don't have the luxury to do it.

If we were to look at Allir Allir I can see the sense if it were to enable Moore shift forward. I don't think they're a good pair in defence as they share the same role. I'd be inclined to keep Moore in defence though and look at other options forward. Moore is proven in defence and i'm not convinced he can be as dominant forward as he is back. Perhaps thats being too conservative though.

Brayshaw, Collier-Dawkins and Brodie are interesting options. Hately and Caldwell look destined elsewhere. What's your thoughts on Fiorini? His numbers are excellent, but perhaps lacks weapons.

Can't argue with your assessment of Will Phillips. He's just about my pick of the draft (excluding NGA kids). I think you can cover Treloar somewhat with Phillips, even though output you'd expect is down while he gains experience, but add to the depth of the midfield with the right addition (hence my question about mids).

The more I’ve thought about it the more I’ve convinced that Moore will be playing permanent forward next year - in addition to Will Kelly.

Makes me think maybe we are more in the market for a key back considering the lack of connection between any key forwards and backs.
I've been thinking the same thing actually, especially with Bucks mentioning the lack of a tall forward, I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but I'm all for switching Moore forward, obviously he's a great defender but I think his talents could be better served up forward, with a full pre season spent training as one I think he could be the missing link.

No reason Allir couldn't play Roughead's role. He is certainly big enough.

I'm not sure Allir Allir is suited to that deeper role. I see him in a similar way stylistically to Moore so question if they'd compliment one and other. Or get in each others way. Although perhaps i'm unfairly pidgeonholing Allir Allir.

Ummm, if there’s an “arrogant ego” running wild on here, I’m pretty sure it’s not Carringbush. You mightn’t agree with him but from my observations Carringbush seems to care deeply about our club and likes a respectful, reasoned discussion about the outlook for the team.

Perhaps you should go back and read a few of your recent posts, with all those dismissive, disrespectful and dare I say arrogant “LOL’s” and smart-arse slap-downs.

Stay classy, Champion!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

in 10 years time you will still be here going in circles not caring a flag has not arrived.....i used to call him oneeye even tho he called himself OneEyedPie because he could only see what he wanted to see, most of his vision was blocked from facts....if you confuse facts and logic with disrespectful and dismissive then you cannot handle the truth either...stand tall and stand proud lol

Are you suggesting Moore is on the level of Matthew Pavlich? We have seen Moore up forward. Inconsistent and overall mediocre.

We've seen it when Moore was less experienced. It'd be interesting to see how he'd go now though. I'd be inclined to leave him back as he's so good there but it's an interesting thought.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously if we aren't getting in on that then ****

You gave me a thumbs down for suggesting Higgins in the last thread. Careless emoji thumb or have you changed your tune?

Dan Butler was traded to the Saints for pick 56 last year.

He was a premiership player and probably showed more than Jack Higgins. He averaged over a goal a game.

Only difference is that Higgins is contracted, but seems the club and player have come to a mutual agreement.

If we could snatch Higgins for pick 60, that would be a bargain.

I reckon Tigers would be after a late 1st or 2nd rounder for Higgins. I doubt they'd trade him for such a late pick.

I've been thinking the same thing actually, especially with Bucks mentioning the lack of a tall forward, I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but I'm all for switching Moore forward, obviously he's a great defender but I think his talents could be better served up forward, with a full pre season spent training as one I think he could be the missing link.
The way Darcy Moore plays down back is the exact type of player we need up forward. Between Howe, Quaynor, Crisp, Maynard and Noble we get plenty of run out of the backline, we would need to find a new KPD which would be easier than finding a KPF.

To me, Darcy is also more on KPF money next year than back - not that he isn’t worth that as a back - but you know.

It surely has to be more than just the retirements of Beams and Langdon? List sizes are being reduced as a post-COVID cost-saving measure, so we need to cull some more to create space for draftees. At the very least, Appleby and Wills are surely gonzo? They've both been on the list for ages and offer little at senior level. And I hope we wouldn't stop there. Its time to get real about the limitations of those players in the back half of our list and do a proper clean-out.

I’m assuming the club won’t make anymore decisions until list sizes are confirmed. I would definitely retire Langdon as I don’t think it is viable to keep a player with chronic knee injury on our list.

The others like Wills, and Appleby’s fate may rest on list sizes

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

How does Ned guy still have a job?
How does Eddie McGuire, Nathan Buckley, Robert Harvey, Brenton Sanderson, Geoff Walsh, Ned Guy and Derek Hine still have a job?

I’m assuming the club won’t make anymore decisions until list sizes are confirmed. I would definitely retire Langdon as I don’t think it is viable to keep a player with chronic knee injury on our list.

The others like Wills, and Appleby’s fate may rest on list sizes

Hopefully list size reductions aren’t too severe and permit us the chance to take a punt on Langdon for a “last chance” year on the rookie list.

Can’t see much hope for Wills or Appleby unfortunately. Maybe one of the two survives, maybe Appleby who through injury hasn’t had a clear run at it.

Didn’t we pick Josh Fraser with pick 1 instead of Pavlich who went at pick 4? 🤦‍♂️

The issue wasn’t that we selected Fraser, it was that we traded out pick 3 which if we’d retained it would have enabled us to take both.

Hopefully list size reductions aren’t too severe and permit us the chance to take a punt on Langdon for a “last chance” year on the rookie list.

Can’t see much hope for Wills or Appleby unfortunately. Maybe one of the two survives, maybe Appleby who through injury hasn’t had a clear run at it.

Can Langdon be moved to the Rookie list? If so does that mean part of his salary I’d not included in the cap?

If that is feasible I’d be keen for that to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back