List Mgmt. Trade and F/A 2020 Cont’d

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I entered this off-season thinking it was just a matter of who we would recruit as a KPF. I would've been very content with any of Jeremy Cameron, Ben Brown, Jesse Hogan, Tom McDonald or Peter Wright. As it stands, it looks like we haven't even entered the race for any of these guys.

Even IF we are comfortable with our Key position stocks...surely we must acknowledge that Mason Cox is 30, as is Jordan Roughead. The ONLY KPP we have coming through is Will Kelly, who projects as an OK talent. Certainly not screaming out to be the next Tom Hawkins.

I understand our salary cap constraints....but this is something our List Management Team should have been working on for the previous 3 years. Every years trade period is hijacked by our salary cap issues, yet this year we have signed Grundy, Moore and De Goey on large contracts. So we can't be surprised that trade week rolls around and then the cap is tight. There clearly hasn't been the pre-planning.

The fact we are now trying to offload one of our better players in a desperate attempt to get the cap back in shape is a real concern.

Anyway, trade week hasn't started yet, so I hold out hope we have something brewing...which is the real reason why we are shopping Treloar around. Let's wait an see.

I'll definitely be dissapointed if we only make a deal for Treloar this off-season and not much else. It shows no list direction. We either need to be going all out for a flag...which means getting rid of quality players or not bringing anyone in is only going to put us further away from a flag. Or we are rebuilding, in which case we need to be even more aggressive with offloading older players

Agreed, one way or the other, don't pussy foot around somewhere in the middle.

' i am of the opinion that clubs should be giving everything to win flags because money to drive the game comes from somewhere ' I agree, I'm sure the club does too but they've completely botched the intent through incompetence.

Seems we disagree on the potential of the list, ok move on, but don't come on here read a couple of posts of mine lamenting the development and claim that's all I can see. Like I'm some sort of misinformed dullard. As the old saying goes 'be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth into gear'

And just to clear it up, if you would've read the whole thread you'll know I'm in favour of hitting the draft hard instead of trading in desperately for an unlikely flag tilt. Doesn't mean we aren't seriously lacking on the development side of things, that's what it looks like to me anyway. If I were a betting man it looks like the club is going to the desperate thing instead building for future.

lol i have stated everything you say....development is poor because not maximising player potential lol

this list is not far from a flag, just some minor tinkering needed lol

our list is very good but our game style is the problem lol...and list is good but problem is with coaches

just a few of your philosophies there, was probably more they will come back to me later

and today you been backtracking bigtime ....stand for what you believe and stick to it mate....i don't care if your brain dances like crazy, enjoy your extremes lol

i would refuse even if they offered because i have no respect for eddie, walsh, hine etc after what they have done to the club, they have basically taken over the biggest club in the land and nothing anyone can do....i seriously believe they are incompetent and useless....eddie seems a very smart guy....but he tried to run channel 9 and couldn't (huge job i know), he was or possibly still is the chairman og melbourne stars in bbl and despite all the talent in the list they always failed badly....22 or whatever years at collingwood for 1 flag that was nearly lost....can talk 02 and 03 but our list on paper was equivalent of a beaten up mini taking on a ferrari....and i see 2018 as a massive outlier fluke year where everything clicked and we shoulda won....i see eddie as a journalist and a very fast talker....i see him as only a glorified salesman with attributes to make an extremely successful conman if he so chose.....i could not be in a position where passionate people give money hoping for enjoyment only to feel like i was in a business of taking from them and giving basically nothing back....i think the club leaders should be ashamed and should take a good hard look at themselves...
Geez you’re full on.
You wrote that essay quick.
I can see you want more success from the club and you’re unhappy with how it’s being ran. You won’t find one person who posts here that’s happy with everything the club is doing. Most of all, we want flags.
That said, calm down a bit and put your views forward in better manner and you’ll find others will happily engage with you.
And we all don’t have to agree on everything and that’s fine. A different viewpoint doesn’t necessarily make you right or wrong. Nobody has all the answers. That’s why it’s a forum to throw our ideas around. It’s more productive and more enjoyable without angst.

for those listening to trade radio, matt rendell gave a big wrap to nathan murphy. he's a big fan and envisioned him as a third forward type when drafted and said he would be very disappointed if he doesn't make it.

Didn’t we pick Josh Fraser with pick 1 instead of Pavlich who went at pick 4? 🤦‍♂️
Dont cry but we could have had Josh Fraser and Mathew Pavlich in the same draft year we fudged up! we had 2 early picks gave one to richmond they gave us Steve Mckee who was a servicable ruckmen for a few years.
Richmond picked up some hack not pavlich then freo got him with the next pick

Surely we have a stack more delisting/retirements to come?

Langdon basically hasn’t played footy for two years. His injuries seem chronic and likely to flare-up at any moment. He can no longer be relied upon. Let’s not turn it into another Ben Reid-like saga. Langdon takes up a list spot and significant $$$ but is unable to perform his duties. He seems a very smart and likeable guy, who will do very well, post-footy.

Appleby has been on our list for ages. If he was going to make it, he would have by now. Delist.

Experimental international/cross-over players - we have three on our list - Cox, Keane & Wilson. Atu could probably be described as a cross-over too. I reckon that’s too many list spots allocated to experiments. Two of Keane, Wilson and Atu should be delisted. Keep the one who shows the most promise.

Players who can’t kick the ball with length and penetration - we seem to love recruiting hard workers who can’t kick. Enough’s enough! Time to clear house of ball-butchers. Phillips, Wills and Cal Brown should all be put up for trade. Mayne should be told he won’t be playing seniors next year and let him decide if he wants to retire.

Aggressive list management is needed to create list spots and cap space to re-stock with some exciting youngsters and replace the current feeling of staleness with dynamism and renewal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
mostly agree, but Keane resigned for 2 years & Wilson and Tohill will be our 2 Cat B rookies outside the cap for development

Geez you’re full on.
You wrote that essay quick.
I can see you want more success from the club and you’re unhappy with how it’s being ran. You won’t find one person who posts here that’s happy with everything the club is doing. Most of all, we want flags.
That said, calm down a bit and put your views forward in better manner and you’ll find others will happily engage with you.
And we all don’t have to agree on everything and that’s fine. A different viewpoint doesn’t necessarily make you right or wrong. Nobody has all the answers. That’s why it’s a forum to throw our ideas around. It’s more productive and more enjoyable without angst.

Don't mind me, i only came for a short period but unintendedly extended my say....i have no angst, just strong in my beliefs and having fun with ya all...for years i been on the herald sun site but they took away the fun because getting messages posted can now take hours to days....so i have enjoyed my time here where moderation happens after an event and not before thus allowing posts to be published immediately

lol carringbush ran to ignore button because i wiped the floor with him and showed everyone how he just flip flops.....anyway very sure he was OneEyedPie on herald sun but he tried to debate me there too and had to leave that because i had taken his arrogant ego there too and exposed him as a flip flopper despite his arduous long paragraphs of nothing.....

Dont cry but we could have had Josh Fraser and Mathew Pavlich in the same draft year we fudged up! we had 2 early picks gave one to richmond they gave us Steve Mckee who was a servicable ruckmen for a few years.
Richmond picked up some hack not pavlich then freo got him with the next pick
Too late 😭

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol carringbush ran to ignore button because i wiped the floor with him and showed everyone how he just flip flops.....anyway very sure he was OneEyedPie on herald sun but he tried to debate me there too and had to leave that because i had taken his arrogant ego there too and exposed him as a flip flopper despite his arduous long paragraphs of nothing.....

You’re right, when it comes to incoherence and irrationality, you clearly out pointed CB.

Immediately our midfield is stronger. Imagine Grundy, De Goey, Adams and Maynard at a centre bounce.

Three inside mids and a ruckman who is essentially another inside mid probably isn't the best mix.

The more I’ve thought about it the more I’m convinced that Moore will be playing permanent forward next year - in addition to Will Kelly.

Makes me think maybe we are more in the market for a key back considering the lack of connection between any key forwards and backs.

Last edited:

Ummm, if there’s an “arrogant ego” running wild on here, I’m pretty sure it’s not Carringbush. You mightn’t agree with him but from my observations Carringbush seems to care deeply about our club and likes a respectful, reasoned discussion about the outlook for the team.

Perhaps you should go back and read a few of your recent posts, with all those dismissive, disrespectful and dare I say arrogant “LOL’s” and smart-arse slap-downs.

Stay classy, Champion!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So, how are all you wannabe list managers going today? Anything to report?
To summarise: We want players to want us who we don't want.

Oh, and we want the club to trade players we don't want even if they don't want to. But we also don't want to trade some players who want to stay because the club doesn't want them.

Last edited:
It surely has to be more than just the retirements of Beams and Langdon? List sizes are being reduced as a post-COVID cost-saving measure, so we need to cull some more to create space for draftees. At the very least, Appleby and Wills are surely gonzo? They've both been on the list for ages and offer little at senior level. And I hope we wouldn't stop there. Its time to get real about the limitations of those players in the back half of our list and do a proper clean-out.

Well from what I'm told the clubs still don't know the list sizes yet as of right now that's the changes the club are making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back