List Mgmt. Trade and F/A 2020 Cont’d

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillips after his 2018 season was worth that salary - he’s now been replaced by Daicos. So now because he’s superfluous to our needs hr is suddenly a burden to our cap.
Langdon was worth every cent of $500k in 2018 - remember Swans wanted him.
Then he aggravated his knee injury in 2019, and all of a sudden he’s over paid.
If he was playing like 2018 no one would be questioning his contract.
Beams isn’t on the list - and I don’t recall outrage when he was recruited at $400k.
Cox - was he expensive after you watched him play in the 2018 PF?
Since then he’s had ankle and eye injuries. He is every bit a $500 player if he continues his late season form that everybody was lauding.

Guy didn’t sign Wells or Mayne.

So really you’ve really not made a case.
You're off your ****ing chops mate.

Last edited:
What I want to know is where is our multi-dimensional forward like going to come from? Sure we can draft for it, but I doubt it would impact our style next year.

If it ain't Gunston I'd like to see us linked to someone soon...

No point anymore. We've knocked back Hogan, Brown, TMac, McCarthy, Jezza chose the Cats, Gunston ain't going anywhere. JJK and Dixon knocked us back.
Seems like 2 metre Peter ain't our cup of tea either and is Essendon bound.
I'm guessing Bucks is getting told to run it back with the same crew, probably minus Stepho and Ads, and just hope we luck it out with injuries which hasn't happened with us for a millennium.

Although most of the blame rightly lands with the football dept. The players have played their part.

Dynasties are not possible without the players, particularly the star players taking significantly unders to keep a strong squad together as Geelong and Hawthorn were reported to have done during their successful period.

Pendlebury and Sidebottom appear to have always been reasonable in their wage negotiations, but others have clearly squeezed every last drop. That's the difference.

Can you please explain how we have cap issues - with all our delisting and retirements and additionally managed to make an offer to Cameron?

Let’s say the club did make Cameron an offer - perhaps they were then thinking they’d let JDG or Mihocek etc walk.

There’s a big difference between a team like Geelong bringing him in vs a team having to make room.

$500-600k was potentially the market price for another club to lure him over. As a general rule, if a player is happy at their current club then they’ll re-sign at a lower rate than what they’d get on the open market, because if every player signs at market rate the cap will bust pretty quickly. Player managers know this and will always advise their players that they’re unlikely to get a max value deal without moving. JDG stayed for less. Grundy stayed for less than rival offers. If we really did sign Phillips to a deal of that size, that early, then it was completely negligent. Not only did we pay the open market value, but we hamstrung ourselves at the end of 2019 when Geelong wanted Phillips and were probably willing to give a first rounder for him. Instead we were forced to honour his OTT contract and here we are, travelling our merry way down sh*t creek.
Well said

Didn't he sign an extension after his first year
I honestly can’t remember but I think he did. Still though he wouldn’t be on much coin at all, he is not our cap problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No point anymore. We've knocked back Hogan, Brown, TMac, McCarthy, Jezza chose the Cats, Gunston ain't going anywhere. JJK and Dixon knocked us back.
Seems like 2 metre Peter ain't our cup of tea either and is Essendon bound.
I'm guessing Bucks is getting told to run it back with the same crew, probably minus Stepho and Ads, and just hope we luck it out with injuries which hasn't happened with us for a millennium.

Of all the forwards you listed, pretty much Cameron is the only one who maybe matched what Bucks was seemingly getting at. I took him to be wanting a Gunston type. That tall-ish forward that could still win a ground ball or chase/lay a tackle.

I don't care if we do nothing at the trade table with regards to our mids/backs, or even lose Treloar without an immediate replacement, provided that we do something to the forward line.

Also I'm just gonna put this out there.

For a club of our stature to possibly go into next year AGAIN with Mason Cox our focal point up forward and Darcy Cameron his backup, is honestly embarrassing.

View attachment 1004375

Thoughts on this? Would we want more?
If Treloar is out I think this will be about what we will get, not sure who the suitors are yet though. We won’t be getting a top 4 pick and pick 5 from GC is seeming unlikely. Unless whatever pick we get we package it up with pick 14 and try to move into the top 5 I’d be really against letting Treloar go.

Ok - so my point on salaries is that they are dictated not by the club, but the market.
We will be fortunate to get JDG at a good rate because his issues and exposed form has caused him to be devalued by the market.
Phillips we agree was paid at market rates - in hindsight I agree we should have traded him to Geel.
But we are fortunate, to only be having this debate on Phillips, because Daicos has progressed far quicker than anyone expected.
Salaries are only dictated by the market to a certain extent. If a club is unable to sign their players below market rate, (which is typically overs because that’s what it takes to lure a player away from their club unless they’re unhappy there) then they should trade them out. This is the stance pretty much every competent list manager in the AFL has, hence why you see players signing on for less than market rates at their current clubs all the time.

Of all the forwards you listed, pretty much Cameron is the only one who maybe matched what Bucks was seemingly getting at. I took him to be wanting a Gunston type. That tall-ish forward that could still win a ground ball or chase/lay a tackle.

I don't care if we do nothing at the trade table with regards to our mids/backs, or even lose Treloar without an immediate replacement, provided that we do something to the forward line.

Beggars can't be choosers when there frankly isn't much available. We already have that guy in Mihocek anyway. How many of those types does he want?

So you believe that there is no salary cap pressure forcing us to move Adam on? That this whole situation is an exercise in either aggressive trading or compassion? If so, the narrative has absolutely tanked the trade value of a contracted, walk up best 22, borderline elite midfielder.

I think the cap is tight but we aren't over. Treloars contracted so it's our choice if we keep him. With Kims work in Brisbane and a young family circumstances have conspired to make the club contemplate a trade. His trade value isn't tanked because he is contracted and because he is a quality player.

All said and done, I just hope Kelly can make steps towards becoming a Jeremy Cameron type of forward for us.

A Cox, Kelly and Mihocek forward line wouldn't be too bad.

Stephenson and one of DeGoey/Elliott down there (with the other rotating in the midfield) isn't so bad either.

It's going to be that 6th and 7th forward which let us down IMO. The JT or Cal Brown.

If it’s not Ned Guy, who is responsible for the salary cap issues?

Only a very simplistic mind needs a scape goat - why can’t you accept that apportioning blame (given the circumstances in respect of Phillips, Langdon and Beams could not be foreseen by Guy) doesn’t achieve anything.
And what’s worse is to not acknowledge clear examples of competence, with Guy ie. re- signing Moore JDG and Grundy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back