Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
why is there so much value placed on such a small upgrade of 7 places ? surely Stevens is worth a pick in the 40's by itself ?

We have picks 18,35 and 40. Mins on and Hamling thus far are the only ones not on the list next year (thus far).

Currently we can only use two picks (obviously that will become more when Hrovat and Stevens leave).

We are better off upgrading with those players rather than seperate picks. At a maximum we might only have room to use 4 picks.

We are going to lose Marcus next year anyway.

Anybody hold out any slither of hope we retain him. I mean we just one a premiership (which unfortunately he couldn't be a part of), it's not as if Marcus is getting a better financial offer (he'd be on 2nd year wages next year anyway). Yet he still wants a trade.

Obviously for family reasons. We aren't going to change his mind in 12 month irrespective of what happens till then.

One more year with Adams might be all we need.
I'm of the view that if Adams can stay on the park - and our medicos seem to be the best in the business going on what they managed this year - then we are a massive shot at winning another flag.
At least we have Adams for another year and with Murph, Crameri and Wallis to come back in we are only going to get better.

How quickly some people forget. Hamling played three senior games out of our first 18. He was a fringe player and we got 35 for him - happy with that.

We won the flag, but hey, the freakin sky is falling in. We're doomed, won't somebody think of the children...

One poster on here is like the boy who cried wolf.

Offensively agree Adams is significantly better.

But hammer was better defensively IMO. The two most commanding key power forward performances were directly on Adams (Waite and Franklin). Hamling did a better job of shutting the big guys down.

Don't disagree with that assessment. Should note Adams is where he is after one year in the system. Hamling's had five...

Fingers will be crossed that Adams finds happiness in world's best city next year and we can retain him.

Gun. IMO.

One more year with Adams might be all we need.
I'm of the view that if Adams can stay on the park - and our medicos seem to be the best in the business going on what they managed this year - then we are a massive shot at winning another flag.
At least we have Adams for another year and with Murph, Crameri and Wallis to come back in we are only going to get better.

Club seems optimistic they can retain him beyond next year

I'm happy with pick 35 for Hamling! We've now got ourselves two second round draft picks, plus pick 18 for Dal to weave some of his magic!

Don't disagree with that assessment. Should note Adams is where he is after one year in the system. Hamling's had five...

Fingers will be crossed that Adams finds happiness in world's best city next year and we can retain him.

Gun. IMO.

Yeah true. Adams certainly has more growth in him. Don't get me wrong I think Adams certainly has elite qualities and he's a better player than Hamling.

I feel though Hamling is better suited to playing the taller types. Adams I would like in the Morris role. Obviously not next year cause Moz has another year. Doubtful Adams is at the club after next year though.

Hopefully Adams has a brilliant year next year at the dogs. At very least it would mean trade currency is high.

I'm happy with pick 35 for Hamling! We've now got ourselves two second round draft picks, plus pick 18 for Dal to weave some of his magic!
One - our original second rounder has slipped back to the start of the third. Would be nice to snag another upgrade to a second rounder.

One - our original second rounder has slipped back to the start of the third. Would be nice to snag another upgrade to a second rounder.
I'm hoping for North's 32/33 for Rat. Would expect Carlton's 25 to be off the table so I imagine North will win the bidding war if they cough up one of those picks.

Pardon my ignorance, but can someone tell me why Freo's 2nd Round pick is Pick 35. Shouldn't they be 22 or something.

I'm hoping for North's 32/33 for Rat. Would expect Carlton's 25 to be off the table so I imagine North will win the bidding war if they cough up one of those picks.

If worst comes to worst and we only get pick 50 for Stevens, then how about Hrovat + 50 for pick 32.

That leaves us picks 18, 32, 35 and 43. Minson delist, Hamling trade, Hrovat trade, Stevens trade.

Leaves us 4 selections for the draft.

I can see North doing that deal. With the 4 retirements they need 2 for 1 type deals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we made the best out of a pretty shitty position and also thanks to Hammer for his services.

So we currently hold picks 18, 35, 43, 61, 75, 76 and 94.

Its going to interesting to see what Jmac and co. can do with them because 75, 76 and 94 have no real value for us or anyone really IMO.

Also we need to remember that F/S an Academy picks will push us back so pick 35 could end up being pick 40ish... Its going to be interesting to see how they get creative to improve our position (be it this year or next) but I have faith.

If worst comes to worst and we only get pick 50 for Stevens, then how about Hrovat + 50 for pick 32.

That leaves us picks 18, 32, 35 and 43. Minson delist, Hamling trade, Hrovat trade, Stevens trade.

Leaves us 4 selections for the draft.
That Hrovat trade could work.

Need a spot for Cloke too though. So would like another upgrade, or swap for a pick next year.

I can't see them giving up that much. Would be stoked if they did.
I like to think I'm realistic with player values but I remain adamant that Hrovat's worth is considerably more than the "steak knives" bandied around by the media and others.

Rat is a young player of great character who also offers supreme leadership. He is versatile. When given an opportunity at the level he has shown AFL capabilities - particularly when given time in the middle of the ground. His ball use isn't elite but it is at a level that you generally only find in the top 20-30 picks in the draft. When you talk about players' ability to find targets inside 50 he'd be top ten on our list at least, and that's an extremely valuable asset to any club.

Running counter to that are his injury issues and his uncontracted status, but I still believe he's worth a late second. 25-40 is his value in my opinion. Would be disappointed to lose him for less.

I assume the result of trade week is to have a better list at the end of it than you started with ??

Really piss poor effort IMO. Not proactive enough. Yes i know many disagree but I'm entitled to think this and do

F- so far
And I'm sure if we traded Jong you would have given us an A, right ?

To McCartney's defense, what have you honestly expected him to do this trade period? What do you define as "not
proactive enough" when you have fringe players wanting to leave due to being starved of opportunities. And having a former delesited free agent get offered ridiculous money to return to his home state?

As I mentioned earlier, I've been slightly sceptical of McCartney as a list manager, due to Dal being such a weapon at what he does. But convincing Adams to stick around should be enough to keep all us dogs fans at ease for the upcoming season.

Last edited:
We are going to lose Marcus next year anyway.

Anybody hold out any slither of hope we retain him. I mean we just one a premiership (which unfortunately he couldn't be a part of), it's not as if Marcus is getting a better financial offer (he'd be on 2nd year wages next year anyway). Yet he still wants a trade.

Obviously for family reasons. We aren't going to change his mind in 12 month irrespective of what happens till then.
Cmon dude

Plenty can happen until then

If he nails a spot all year, stays injury free, helps us cement a top 4 spot and his off field stuff is ok/learns to live in Melbourne (not sure on his marital status) then we give him a significant pay rise and he stays and is happy at the kennel.

We can't give up on him easily, if he does want out then he has to tell us early enough so we have months to scout adequate replacements etc

Makes no sense dumping him now, would only do it if a gun comes in which is highly unlikely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back