Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In hindsight last years trading period was a disaster

Gave away Hrovat and Stevens for nothing, when this year they clearly would have been best 22.

Hrovat and Stevens were worth about what we got for them. Hrovat had barely played and Stevens was very publicly on the outer.

I for one am glad we drafted players instead of selling the farm for more retreads like Suckling that wouldn't have made one iota of difference to how we're tracking this season.

Players who have been omitted this year:
Tory Dickson
Fletcher Roberts (twice)
Matthew Boyd
Tim English
Bailey Williams
Clay Smith
Travis Cloke
Jack Redpath
Lukas Webb
Tom Liberatore
Zaine Cordy
Toby McLean (twice)
Bailey Dale
Shane Biggs (twice)
Tom Campbell
Caleb Daniel

16 players been dropped on form this year. 10 players have not played a game this year. This means 9 premiership players have been dropped on form this year, with three of them being dropped twice. We also traded out one of our premiership players which means only 12 have retained their place in the side since we won the flag. These 12 players are:
Marcus Bontempelli
Luke Dahlhaus
Lachie Hunter
Jake Stringer
Easton Wood
Jack Macrae
Tom Boyd- mental health issues
Josh Dunkley- currently injured for a while
Jordan Roughead
Dale Morris
Jason Johannisen
Liam Picken

Another six players who were not involved in the premiership team have not been dropped either.
Matthew Suckling
Robert Murphy- currently injured for a while. Seems cooked. Couple of soft tissue niggles around this point in the season usually means your done
Mitch Wallis
Stewart Crameri- currently injured for the season
Marcus Adams- currently injured, for a while
Lin Jong- currently injured for the season

So nowhere near enough continuity and also a lot of players have dropped off since last year. I think this is another cause for concern this year.

IF we are only offering $800k/a for Lever OR Kelly, I would be disappointed.
We really need A Graders and they are both possibly moving.
Yes it would be great to snag a KPF from somewhere but there doesn't appear to be one available, so let's get the best we can and not worry about marginal increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF we are only offering $800k/a for Lever OR Kelly, I would be disappointed.
We really need A Graders and they are both possibly moving.
Yes it would be great to snag a KPF from somewhere but there doesn't appear to be one available, so let's get the best we can and not worry about marginal increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way to attract good players is to pay overs

The only forwards available realistic are b graders

Casboult would be a significant upgrade on Cloke. Particularly if we just want to keep bombing it in.

Free agent so costs nothing other than salary cap.

I'd be for it.
Casboult would be ideal right now if we are going to continue this long bomb style, I really couldn't care less at the moment if he can't kick straight as he would fit right in. But our complete lack of ability to create a marking contest is doing my head in!

Casboult would be ideal right now if we are going to continue this long bomb style, I really couldn't care less at the moment if he can't kick straight as he would fit right in. But our complete lack of ability to create a marking contest is doing my head in!

Before we address the lack of contesting marking forwards. Have a look at our mids. Most of them would be sub par afl kicks

And most of our forwards are blocks of wood

Collingwood have a similar issue

Old news I guess but Jay Clark said today dogs dees and pies into Lever- long term deal - 800-900 a year.

I'm not on the lever bandwagon. Sure gonna be a gun no question but cost is too high and I think we aren't as in bad shape with our key defenders as most seem to believe. Got Collins and Young deserving of a game in seniors, Roberts, Adams, Cordy, like the options are their for the next decade.

The reason we are getting found out is cause our skills are disgusting and our desire to minimise the damage and shut down opposition space is non existent.

I think we need to find another tall forward (any type really) whether that be a focal point or a Gunston type (who is a much better marking option than stringer. That pushes Stringer into Jongs role 50/50 forward mid.

And some more good ball users.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm all for clearing cap space and trading out fringe players, trading out our first round pick.

Hawthorn, after winning the flag in 2008 and missing finals in 2009, didn't think "you beauty, we've got pick 9 for more young talent!!", they thought "we can use this pick to bring in some A-grade talent" and used him and Mark Williams to bring in Shaun Burgoyne.

A lot of discussion is going to be around free agents, Lever/Kelly etc but there's always opportunities to top-up with older players who nobody really thinks will be traded - almost what Hawks did to us with Brian Lake, and what West Coast did with Sam Mitchell last year. And it's hard to know who these players potentially could be, because they could be in-contract with a year left but if we give them a 3 year deal etc...

Pick 8 or 9 might be appealing to look to bring in young talent that we can fawn over for the pre-season, but we get more utility out of that pick attempting to win a flag over the next 2-3 years if we trade it rather than waiting for an 18 year old to develop.

It sounds kid of ridiculous, but do we trade pick 9 and even a player for a 27-28 year old that we might be able to squeeze a few years out of, even if that player is in contract, because those teams are "on the down" and think they'll be 30+ before they challenge for a flag again?

Names like David Zaharakis, Shaun Higgins (even with the irony of it), Pies could have a cleanout if they sack Buckley so someone like Travis Varcoe could be worth trading for, trade two firsts for Marc Murphy, Paul Puopolo, Daniel Rich, etc.

I'm just spitballing here but I'm all for trading our pick 9 to get a player who instantly makes our best 22 stronger to help us win the flag this year.

Would love to have a look at Jono Freeman
199cm, 94kg Key Forward/Ruck and a bit more mature at 23 Years old

If we have 850k to throw at Lever, I wonder why we don't try to get a bit more and go after Fyfe.

He's an FA for crying aloud!

Him and Bont in the midfield would be a sight to behold.

Personally I would rather pick 9 + Fyfe, than Lever...
Freo would match any offer we come up with and force us into a trade. So we'd definitely lose our first round pick and have to offer at least $1.2m to get him out of Freo. Ain't happening. He's staying put.

Freo would match any offer we come up with and force us into a trade. So we'd definitely lose our first round pick and have to offer at least $1.2m to get him out of Freo. Ain't happening. He's staying put.

That's probably true, I still think it would be at least looking at though.

Ultimately there would be a way to get it done - like Sydney with Buddy - what if we offered him $1million a year for 9 years. Wonder if Freo would match that?!

To my knowledge the Dogs haven't been linked with him at all...

That's probably true, I still think it would be at least looking at though.

Ultimately there would be a way to get it done - like Sydney with Buddy - what if we offered him $1million a year for 9 years. Wonder if Freo would match that?!

To my knowledge the Dogs haven't been linked with him at all...
IMO he's not worth it. Kelly is worth it, and more. We need class, Fyfe's kicking isnt that great and he hasn't exactly set the world in for this year.

Kelly's kicking is nice and he's been in good form this year. But Kelly is very expensive, more so than lever.

IMO he's not worth it. Kelly is worth it, and more. We need class, Fyfe's kicking isnt that great and he hasn't exactly set the world in for this year.

Kelly's kicking is nice and he's been in good form this year. But Kelly is very expensive, more so than lever.

Kelly costs us 2 first round picks though...

Fyfe doesn't.

It's an easy choice!

A nine year contract would see him end with us when he is 34.

Our pick 9 this year would only be 27 too.

Absolutely worth entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back