Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it’s been mentioned before but what are peoples thoughts on Finlay Macrae if he wouldn’t cost much trade wise
Doesn’t have a point of difference to what we have already. Doubt he’d be more than depth.

If we pick up a mid, they either need to have speed or a strong defensive game. His more an accumulator.

How do we improve our wingman if we aren’t in the race for Henry?

The wings are probably our biggest missing link. I think Henry would solve a lot with his running ability.
Not really anyone on the market that would be a fit, Stephens is an option but will get to North on a decent deal which I wouldn't match considering he isnt a leap ahead of what we currently have.

Not really anyone on the market that would be a fit, Stephens is an option but will get to North on a decent deal which I wouldn't match considering he isnt a leap ahead of what we currently have.
Don’t think Stephen’s is very good anyway. Doesn’t find enough of it.

If nothing is available I’d probably move Dale to wing and play Cleary. Not sure what Dale’s endurance is like though.

Don’t think Stephen’s is very good anyway. Doesn’t find enough of it.

If nothing is available I’d probably move Dale to wing and play Cleary. Not sure what Dale’s endurance is like though.

Been wanting Dale to a wing for some time. Shits himself when the heat is on too much down back as well.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not to beat a dead horse but I can't believe we signed Ryan Gardner until the end of 2026. Who were we bidding against?

He really should only be used in the event of injury crisis moving forward.
I wonder if we sometimes give longer deals to give players confidence.

Still, two years for Baker and three for Gardner is a bit much.

Previously gave three to Schache and Crozier and got burned too.
I know it’s been mentioned before but what are peoples thoughts on Finlay Macrae if he wouldn’t cost much trade wise
Understand we at least had a look, probably because of the Jack connection, but don’t know where it went.

We were also looking at Dow before his resurgence.

I hope Jordan Croft nominates us. I think it is totally understandable given we already have JUH, Darcy, Astro and Bus as young talls. Plus Lobb (not so young) and Tim. You could raise the question did 3 talls in forward line work most teams only have 2. Given Bevo is not going to move Astro back, Sam either takes Lobb place or plays back. Jordan has a development year playing mainly reserves.

Henry has officially requested a trade, no club identified.

Not to beat a dead horse but I can't believe we signed Ryan Gardner until the end of 2026. Who were we bidding against?

He really should only be used in the event of injury crisis moving forward.
3 years is probably a bit excessive but of all the bad contracts we've given out this one is a bit more defendable.
Outside of Gardiner our key defenders are either a year into their careers or into their 30s so we'd be taking a chance on their boddies holding up over the next few years either way.
At least we know that Gardiner is physically up to the task despite his limitations.
Even if he is purely depth he's worth keeping on the list a bit like how every club needs a backup ruckman.
I do find it a bit perplexing how we always seem to give out contact extensions when players have hit a steak of good form.

I hope Jordan Croft nominates us. I think it is totally understandable given we already have JUH, Darcy, Astro and Bus as young talls. Plus Lobb (not so young) and Tim. You could raise the question did 3 talls in forward line work most teams only have 2. Given Bevo is not going to move Astro back, Sam either takes Lobb place or plays back. Jordan has a development year playing mainly reserves.

I suspect his reluctance to nominate yet is due to us not confirming we’ll 100% take. Assuming players wouldn’t nominate unless they were certain they’d be picked up.

Could be wrong. It is a fair way out from the draft.

I suspect his reluctance to nominate yet is due to us not confirming we’ll 100% take. Assuming players wouldn’t nominate unless they were certain they’d be picked up.

Could be wrong. It is a fair way out from the draft.
Was reported today that the club expects him to nominate us. So it shows we are keen, it just hasn't happened yet. Most do not nominate until the post season anyway. Wouldn't read a thing into it.

If he wasn’t Jack’s brother, nobody here would be discussing him

I tend to agree, I don’t think he brings anything significantly different to the side that another new draftee wouldn’t. I don’t see him being elite in an area we are lacking.

But - I haven’t seen much of him recently, so he may have improved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it’s a matter of years plus money, we would never be in the race, I would rather we look after our own fish first

Lobbs been good since his return from being sent down.

However, I think he's a placeholder until Darcy is physically equipped to play an entire season. When he does Id expect him to zoom past Lobb.

There's nothing wrong with your list. The problem is how shallow it is and their adaptability to play other roles or where you have them lining up. On paper Smith and Treloar should be played on the wings. Im not too sure that they can. I think that JO'D can be that 3rd tall intercepting defender. The bigger issue is a lock down fullback. Jones is better suited to CHB where he has freedom of movement and can use his exceptional reading of play to its full extent. I dont think he is well suited to the physical man on man role of full back. Your assessment of Jones is spot on. Im not sure that he can add the missing parts of his game, but there is a place for him if he can. Assuming the likes of Clarke dont go straight past him.

Ive said countless times that due to the amount of low skilled fringe player that we've rotated in and out of ours side. And because these guys are mostly filling gaps on the wings and flanks it's having a knock on effect of piling the pressure on the next tier of mid range players. I think this is best exemplified by the down form of the likes of the 3 Bailey's that we've seen this season. Which ripples through the rest of the team when its 3 guys who we rely on to be ball carriers.

Yes. But it's not fair on anybody to scapegoat the assistants and absolve Beveridge.

That our assistants pale in comparison is on the club.

I think the jury is still out on all of last years recruits. However, they were either coming from a long way back or spent much of the season injured.

Clarke is the most likely to play forward. Gallagher looks like a typical utility who might be able to play most non key positions. Busslinger looks like an interception 3rd at this stage. Good reader of the play, neatly skilled. Still some question marks about his ability to guard an opponent. All are a pre-season away from fully forming.

I had the same feeling about Naughton during his brief stint at CHB he looked lost. Having said that he still needs to work on his forward craft and move away from using his brute power to outmark everybody. I dont think it's an accident that when JUH hit his straps in the second half of the season and looked the more dangerous option of the pair. He is a natural forward who understands the position and the other does it through force of will.
Good response. The only thing I would say is that we seem hellbent on dropping the ball on top of Naughton‘s head and hoping we can lock it in. That has become far too predictable to the opposition.

In what way is Finn Macrae a “jet”?

You obviously haven't watched a lot of VFL this year, as he took his game to the next level. Really improved on his running tank, ground ball work and tackling. The one key area he really does need to work on is his kicking but he's easily been one of the best AFL listed players in the VFL this season.

I'm not saying he's a perfect fit for us but he would walk into the best 23 of more than a handful of sides.

You obviously haven't watched a lot of VFL this year, as he took his game to the next level. Really improved on his running tank, ground ball work and tackling. The one key area he really does need to work on is his kicking but he's easily been one of the best AFL listed players in the VFL this season.

I'm not saying he's a perfect fit for us but he would walk into the best 23 of more than a handful of sides.
He would be great in the dunkley role of last year

Feels like a quiet trade period.

No big ins which is ok.

Seems like none of our best 22 will be looking to leave which is great.

A Lohmann or similar in and a Sweet out for a net similar draft position seems likely.

What really matters is drafting high end.

I'd love to see us package up our Brisbane 1&2 and lower picks into a pick in the 8-12 range.

2 picks before a Croft bid is the main goal for mine.

Effectively bringing in 3 first rounders would be a great outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back