List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

That's a fair point, next year's draft looks like one of the most compromised ever.

It looks like we have plans to package up our later picks to nab another first rounder, so we probably want to avoid trading one of them.

The issue for Hawthorn is that the Eagles hold all the cards here. Brockman seems unlikely to go to Fremantle, and the PSD is a real threat. I doubt we'd entertain offering a future second. Maybe the future third plus a late pick swap.
Does Brockman make it.

AFL media, including Twomey are talking about Lachie Schultz being worth the Pies first round pick.

Talented small forwards appear to worth a late first or early second round pick.

My view is 43 is probably fair.

If you’re not going to offer 43, stop yanking Hawthorns chain and just walk him through the PSD.

Or do a deal with the Hawks and send 43 & 57 to Hawthorn for Brockman and 32.

32 is going to get used up matching their father son kid. So send them two picks for points and get a pick upgrade yourself.

32+36+62 probably gives you enough points to chase pick 18 from Gold Coast.

So we got Reid pick 1.

Curtin live trade with Future pick.- Let him slide to 10 to 15 meh.

Now just get ZZ & Collard
Freo can have Brockman, Collard is a match winner and has way more talent.
These 2 probably go around picks 18 to 25.
We got 20 to use on Collard. May need a live trade here too if someone jumps in before 20 on either of these 2.

So we got Reid pick 1.

We got 20 to use on Collard. May need a live trade here too if someone jumps in before 20 on either of these 2.
We're pretty much to Brockman so he's coming.
Getting him will have no bearing on if we get Collard you'd think.

A future 3rd is unnecessarily generous although it does make me think what we have planned with our later picks as 21,36,44,57,63 is one, maybe 3 more than we need

Hopefully we will try some consolidation to move up the draft a little
That future 3rd is very likely 37-40 before NM's priority picks and any FA compo/matching
More than I'd want to give up

AFL needs to act swiftly to minimise dilution in the draft.

They can start with academy and father sons:
  • Clubs have to use at least one pick within the next 18 of the bid to match. Based on natural draft order, every club should hold one pick within 18 of any given bid. Only way they don't is if they've traded it out (in which case they have to trade back in). Would avoid the current situation where no decent picks are eaten up matching bids - its only every late picks used as clubs continue trading back for more points - thus meaning other clubs are pushed back the maximum amount for matched bids.
  • Max of 2 father sons/academy players in any one year in the first 2 rounds. And for the second player matched, you still have to match bid with a pick within the next 18 spots of the bid. If that means you need to trade back in to the draft, so be it.
  • Reduce/abolish the discount, or alternatively set points values that are more reflective of their worth. At the moment the fact there's always clubs clamouring to trade up and take higher picks off the hands of clubs with academy/FS players shows that the higher picks are underpriced.

While they're at it, reduce the free agency compo. Best anyone can receive is end of first round. And that should only be if player is in top 10% of earners.

Why is McKercher a flight risk but not Reid?

From the ABC today...
There has been some talk that teams might be a little put off by the Tasmania of it all, but McKercher has been at pains all year to stress he is keen to head to the mainland and is determined to be a one-club player wherever he ends up.
1. He didn't say that in the Gettable interview. He was non- committal.

2. If he is any good, Tasmania will come for him, backed by the AFL, and with a larger cheque and longer contract than we can offer.

You're simply delusional if you don't think he's a bigger flight risk that the average player. It means we have to cough up someone with 70 to 80 games and start again. There are players next year, just as good, with less flight risk.

Good news if we trade a F3 for Brockman = I think that means we are restricted from trading a F1.

Being the AFL, it's really just up to them what they'd allow. Given Port were allowed to trade their 1st 3 futures last year I doubt we'd be restricted.

Especially it's a pick swap with another teams F1 and/or trading in another 1st this year

Not that I'd want us to do it but we'd more than likely be able to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we got Reid pick 1.

Wouldn't throw Brockman out just because Freo are showing interest.
All we have to do is get in Brockman ear to get him to say no to Freo. Walk him to the PSD. He has already asked and requested a trade to us.

It's an easy get regardless of who we use with our picks. Would Freo pick him against his will.

Cal Twomey saying on Gettable today that he can see Collard rising into the top 15. Tested very well at combine (no surprise) and interviewed well too (more of a surprise).

Looks like there's little chance he's getting to 40
I called this in 1st final and was shot down.
Do not be surprised if Curtin slides outside top 10 as an overgrown Half Back & Collard around the same picks. Articles said Collard is best in WA. Therefore Collard should go before Curtin. Logical. Curtin was blown up way too early by media. He is no Shannon Hurn who went at pick 13.

I'm thinking Venables/ Nakia Cockatoo both Fwds with Midfield potential is where Collard goes in this draft. What picks were they?

Time for this board to stop thinking we cannot draft a Vic metro player. Bottom line is we have done very well retaining interstate.

If the next 15 months is going to have convoluted posts about dropping back on the draft board to only get WA or VIC Country players, we might as well fold.
Exactly. Drives me nuts.

Can't wait for the likely pick 1 to be SA (maybe Draper next year) or from WA.

"Oh how can a Victorian team consider drafting him when he is such a flight risk. They need to trade pick one to get the Vic Metro kids at picks 2345678."

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Provided we finish bottom 4, which you'd think is a given, it translates to Pick 39-43 before priorities and bids.

More than fair, I'd think. Somewhere inbetween where Hawks fans and Eagles fans value him.
Its not about what is fair .

Is it fair that our 2nd rounder will be pick 30 ?

Use the pre season draft to get him its the only lever we have to pull in our favour this whole trade /draft to get an advantage

We finished bottom 2 three years in a row, then finished bottom 4, and have brought in half a dozen top tier players that don’t have any ties to our club or state.

Who knows what Essendon can do with a new head recruiter and the other off field changes.

They probably looking at Collingwood and finally understand that coteries and Old Essendon isn’t enough anymore.
Essendons problem is dodoro. They haven't won a final since he has been list manager.

They keep trying to sack him but then walk out of the meeting giving him another year and a pay rise

Trade radio mentioning that Sam McClure on some podcast has said north don’t need to trade anything as the eagles won’t be taking Harley Reid pick one

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Saw that too. Going to back Cal in any day of the week over this w***er.

Trade radio mentioning that Sam McClure on some podcast has said north don’t need to trade anything as the eagles won’t be taking Harley Reid pick one

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We will trade with Hawks if that’s the case.

The only possibility of that is if we are somehow getting Walter. Which will only happen if GC get pick 2 and can take Reid.

McLure has been drinking cough syrup again.

Cal Twomey saying on Gettable today that he can see Collard rising into the top 15. Tested very well at combine (no surprise) and interviewed well too (more of a surprise).

Looks like there's little chance he's getting to 40

I know a certain coach was very taken by him but I doubt they'll draft him due to the other concerns.

Being the AFL, it's really just up to them what they'd allow. Given Port were allowed to trade their 1st 3 futures last year I doubt we'd be restricted.

Especially it's a pick swap with another teams F1 and/or trading in another 1st this year

Not that I'd want us to do it but we'd more than likely be able to
Port got back a 2nd and 3rd rounder last year.

Port actually got knocked back by the afl trade out of all 3 rounds without getting picks back

Sam McLure is a f**king dumbass. Take anything he says with a gran of salt.

About as stupid as Kane Cornes in that regard. Probably even more stupid. He is a carbon copy of Kane probably a bit worse as his a lesser version of Kane Cornes. Kane Cornes from wish.com trying to create a story with no knowledge or insight in anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back