List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Who was the numbskull who drafted Brander. Was that ROB?

Drafting Brander wasn't the problem you silly kent. His development was.

17 other clubs would've/could've fallen into the same Brander trap we did. Some selection duds you can put on O'Brien and some you cannot, this is the latter.

Probably 20 or so. Could add 23 to buy up earlier if someone we like.

I still want us to trade F1 and 23 for 2. Take Reid and McKercher. Probably too aggressive but I'd rather that that take a lump wristed offer
The more I think about it the less I want to trade F1, imagine us taking the best draftees 2yrs on the trot...Vic media would implode..🥰

Sorry to throw some cold water on those O'Brien quotes from the press release but I'm near certain that they are all from other earlier interviews he's done over the trade period.

The wording is slightly different and they've been cut up to fit the article but it's the exact same stuff, same word choice, nothing new. Even he isn't that robotic.

E.g. here and here

I will go back and start my draft board afresh now that we have finished trade season

and by the way - an A+ for West Coast not take any silly offers and getting Brockman without giving up anything of value

I am seeing a top 7 excluding NGA and FS

another 15 that are good but not must have and borderline r1

then another 20 that look like they are genuine second rounders

and I have left a spot for our Pieman to repeat and get another Noah

Don't want Curtin he is brander MK2 .

A tall who isn't a KPP has amazing ground ball skills for a tall and ends up trying to be a mid .

I would rather try get busslinger next year and load up on exciting talent this year
Full of sheep

Curtin is good and plays with spirit

he has grown and people say KPD because he in 197 cm get he aligns with hbf and midfield

mark my words, Curtin is streets ahead of Brander because he knows who he is

Pretty much every draftee that we’ve ever drafted says they had no idea the club was interested. We play our cards close to our chest, love it.

As I have mentioned on a couple of occasions over the years, when living in Melbourne, I coached two kids in there draft year ( both played Vic Metro ), both of them were drafted, one of them by us inside the first 30 picks.

When I asked him after the draft, if he knew that we were interested in him ?

He told me that he had the standard 15 minutes or so interview, at the Draft Camp, as it was called then and that was it, no family visit, no follow up phone calls , no other interviews.

The other kid thought he was a chance to be drafted by us, because we had several interviews with him.
I was closer to this kid and his parents than the one mentioned above
Adelaide and us had shown the most interest in him.

Both got drafted, both played AFL football.

The kid we took in the first 30 picks, was the one that we only interviewed at the draft camp, first he knew that we were keen on him, was when we called his name out on draft day.

The second kid, who thought we had interest in him after several interviews, got rookie drafted by a Victorian Club.

I learnt a few things through that experience.

1. There is a lot of gamesmanship and skullduggery, carried out by recruiters.

2. After talking post draft with a GM of one of the TAC Cup teams, I discussed the above situation and was told that, the Eagles were notorious for interviewing kids they didn't draft and playing possum, with those that they eventually drafted.

3. It became a bit of a joke with some of the coaches of the TAC Cup teams, that often the strong lead to a player being linked to a certain Clubs, was the kiss of death to that player being drafted by said team.

The media love being feed and they get feed scraps and solid BS...... still the media, God bless them, each year keep coming back for more.

General Comments about some of the recruiting Intel that I was privy too as a Coach of the kids in the draft cohorts.

I did get asked a lot of questions by AFL recruiters and also by a couple of AFL coaches, about the kids I coached and even more so, about the kids in the draft cohort that I coached against.

Some of the questions that I was asked were a bit surprising.
The kids that I had coached, more often than not, the lines of questioning were more related to the kids work ethic, their personality, their families and their coachability.
Whereas the kids I coached against, the line of questioning was more, the recruiters asking for a brief critique on the footballing strengths and weaknesses of particular kids and also, if if was easy to mess with the kids heads, by getting the kids I coached to taunt and sledge them.

In Summary.

Since then I have viewed the media speculation and recruiters riddle answers, with a degree of scepticism and take all media HOT Tips, for all things about the draft with a sizeable grain of salt.

Last edited:
Will go in to coaching at Hawks most likely.

Struggled with Fagan’s rigidness in wanting to stick to a certain style and unwillingness to expand our game plan.

We’ve lost two assistant coaches.

Dan Rich has taken on a skills and development role. (will join Birchall in that role, giving us the two slowest runners on game day in the league)

Stewie Dew reportedly coming in as assistant coach.
Thanks so much for the club update. I look forward to the next

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is plenty to read into ROBs comments. Those saying not to overact aren't seeing it.

Secondly, if he wants to trade pick 1 which is becoming seemingly more likely, he should be talking pick 1 up without mentioning a player and creating the hype for an auction. It almost seems like he doesn't want to offend the player we are likely to take if we trade 1.

Why is it seemingly more likely? Time has gone by and we're still holding it. It should be becoming less likely from a purely opportunity point of view

So good for a laugh over there...

View attachment 1835049
stoned-cowboy.gif

So good for a laugh over there...

View attachment 1835049

I've read this 5 times now and it still makes no ****ing sense.

We're so keen on pick 2 we'd give up pick 1 and a future 1st for it? For pick 2? We want PICK 2 SO BADLY WE'LL GIVE UP PICK 1 FOR IT? WE WANT PICK 2 MORE THAN PICK 1?

This post has broken me.

What the **** are they smoking?

And you’ll go the best West Aussie kids available?

No I don’t think so, I am hoping it’d be McKercher at 2. At 15 and 17 I’m not sure what we’d do, Hardemann is a very WC pick though unfortunately and not because he’s from WA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back