List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

What if,

Both North and West Coast are coming to the conclusion that Reid and McKercher aren’t as far apart as the, at times, OTT media hype surrounding Reid would suggest

Meaning WC are more than happy to settle for Reid but want some incentive to move back from 1 but North are equally happy with McKercher so don’t want to give up anything valuable to get Reid instead

Explains why we knocked back Hawthorns offer because 4 is too far back and why North didn’t offer anything that included pick 2

The advantage North have over us, courtesy of the AFL, is that if they end up with McKercher over Reid they still have 3,15,17,18 to round out their draft adding to an already healthy collection of R1 picks

By contrast if we JTR we have only 23,37,58 to round out our draft adding to a list that is positively anemic when it comes to R1 picks by comparison

In many ways we need to trade pick 1 and are being squeezed to do so as Dylan82 posted about previously

The lack of focus on McKercher is very odd partly because lazy journos can only see Curtin as our next option cos WA
This would certainly line up with the theory that WCE always like to think they are the smartest in the room.

I would suggest that given the amount of clubs falling over themselves to trade for him that it would not be the smart move to trade him away.

What other information could WCE possibly have that every other club doesn’t that could see them deciding that the gap between Reid and the rest isn’t as big?

Not trading away Harley Pick 1.
You've heard Gossage say we are live trading next years 1st. So obvious now. Doesn't take a mathematical genius to see this now.
Fookin Freo have 3 first rounders next season. Now we swoop. Trade next yrs 1st for as much WA talent and Harley's Mates we can get from this draft. He got Longy, but another 1 or 2 cant hurt.
Just interested to know gossages strike rate with these tidbits?
And yours for that matter?

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What if,

Both North and West Coast are coming to the conclusion that Reid and McKercher aren’t as far apart as the, at times, OTT media hype surrounding Reid would suggest

Meaning WC are more than happy to settle for Reid but want some incentive to move back from 1 but North are equally happy with McKercher so don’t want to give up anything valuable to get Reid instead

Explains why we knocked back Hawthorns offer because 4 is too far back and why North didn’t offer anything that included pick 2

The advantage North have over us, courtesy of the AFL, is that if they end up with McKercher over Reid they still have 3,15,17,18 to round out their draft adding to an already healthy collection of R1 picks

By contrast if we JTR we have only 23,37,58 to round out our draft adding to a list that is positively anemic when it comes to R1 picks by comparison

In many ways we need to trade pick 1 and are being squeezed to do so as Dylan82 posted about previously

The lack of focus on McKercher is very odd partly because lazy journos can only see Curtin as our next option cos WA
Then we should be asking for 2 and F1.

They get Reid, keep 3 and all there other picks and we can split there F1.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Revisiting this now trade period has finished and the draft order has changed :

Our position is unchanged - we could trade up by combining 37 and 58 which are worth 653 points (~pick 29)

Other clubs with tradeable combinations to boost points for Gold Coast

Fremantle 34,46,60 - (1019 points ~pick 18) could trade up to 24 giving GC 234 points but leaving them with only 64 as their 2nd pick

Briskents - 39,51,54 (925 points ~pick 20) could trade up to 26 giving GC 196 extra points

We could possibly use 37 and 58 to trade up to 32 but we’d need to do it before a Walter bid, because if the above two happen 32 will be used to match that bid

The likelihood of our chances of trading up to one of the Suns picks have gone and we’ll need to look somewhere else to improve our draft hand

We could always trade 23 to the GC for 27 + 66. Tiny upgrade on points for them (but one less pick they need a list spot for) and we only slide 1 spot in the order due to GC having 3 picks (inc 23) in between.

The issue is that the other pick is held by Geelong, but we should be able to work out if we have interest in the same player.

As 66 and 58 come in, would they be of interest to other teams needing to match (or could we entice a team needing future points with a F2nd 3rd or 4th bundled with the later picks to move something earlier to us).

All that said, it looks like the teams who need to match are mostly set with later points carrying picks, so possibly that bird has flown.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd actually like to trade out all our future picks for picks tied to clubs you'd expect to drop like Cats, Dogs or St.K.

The YouTube algorithm started showing me expos on the Carlton & Melbourne tanking debacles and I have to say there's some big parallels with our 2023 season.

I wouldn't be shocked to see us win 7 to 8 matches next year and "overperform" due to getting a soft draw, the development of younger guys, and (hopefully) not playing matches with non-AFL-listed top-up players in 2024.
7/8 wins is hawks 16th on the ladder. Pick 3.
10 wins Freo 14th. Pick 5.

Dogs won't slide to that extent.
Stk won't either.
Cats are intriguing - could possibly but not likely.

Other trade options not involving our F1 :

1) Trade our F3 to Melbourne for 42 (which they may not be using) and the Bulldogs F3 which they hold. On trade 42 and 37 to GC for 27

Gives us 27 for 37 whilst swapping our F3 for the Bulldogs F3

2) Trade our F2 and 58 to Adelaide for 20 (58 gives them a 3rd pick in this draft). This one could be tricky as it’s possible pick 20 might be the first selection on night 2 so Adelaide might ask for more

3) Trade our F2 and 58 to Geelong for 25 and their F2

4) Trade our F3 to Brisbane for 39 helping them with points for the next Ashcroft - they only have their F1 and F3 as it stands

If we could pull off the first two options we’d have 1,20,23,27 this year instead of 1,23,37,58. That improvement comes at the loss of our F2 and our F3 being tied to the Bulldogs finishing position instead of ours
23 and our F2 for GWS 16 and their F2 is a trade in isolation I think we should do. I think GWS have some academy prospects next year and the likelihood is that this would be a points upgrade for them and gives them scope to split what’s likely an early F2 for points a la Gold Coast. For me there’s another big drop off after pick 21 so getting 16 (sliding to 21) would give us the last of who I feel is in the second tier of the draft, which for me is likely to be Schoenmaker, DeMattia or Tholstrup.

Actually, Barrett went on about it for a while on trade radio the other day, questioned why someone 'desperate' to get home for family reasons then goes and nominates the reigning premier.

So some people in Vic have at least been consistent on that front.

Thanks BZ - missed that one.

Damo as voice of reason - things just got weird.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saw ROB got a chicken and mushroom rather than the usual pepper steak for lunch yesterday. This change has me thinking we're trading 1.

Definitely comparable for trading down pick 1 for pick 3 in the pie world.

If he had gone for a beef & mushroom, sausage roll and vanilla slice I think we could basically pencil in 2, 11 and 17.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely comparable for trading down pick 1 for pick 3 in the pie world.

If he had gone for a beef & mushroom, sausage roll and vanilla slice I think we could basically pencil in 2, 11 and 17.
We'd know for certain we were trading for pick 2 if he ordered a scallop pie though. Tasmanian delicacy.

To me a no brainer trade is pick 20 for F2nd + pick 58.

1,20,23,37 and one of the NGA players with pick 81 is fine with me .

At 81 im okay with Hine-Baston myself based on his end of year form but hope is Collard gets left on the board... Dont see it though now Schultz is gone

Drafting Brander wasn't the problem you silly kent. His development was.

17 other clubs would've/could've fallen into the same Brander trap we did. Some selection duds you can put on O'Brien and some you cannot, this is the latter.
Incorrect, Our 2 earliest picks used on the same type of projected player neglecting the fact that our midfield was dog sh*t. In the same draft picking a mid with a horrendous ball drop. Which now brings me to the conclusion Dark Sharks is actually R O'B

Common sense says you don’t trade away generational talent for an extra pick or 2 which would end up in the 20’s. North won’t give up 2 & 3 and we won’t give up Reid for much less. The only way I see it happening is if they split pick 3 for something which lands us both Curtin and McKercher or no deal.

7/8 wins is hawks 16th on the ladder. Pick 3.
10 wins Freo 14th. Pick 5.

Dogs won't slide to that extent.
Stk won't either.
Cats are intriguing - could possibly but not likely.

My point was that we could give up F1 while people have in their minds that it is guaranteed to be a top 2 pick, when really it could end up being pick 8. If we flip it now for Geelong's pick 8 and F1, theoretically we could be trading 2024 pick 8 for 2023 pick 8 & 2024 pick 7.

If we end up trading 1 to Norf for 2, 15, F1, I'd rather trade away our F1 as I'm pretty confident with us out performing them in 2024.

Our future first should not be used in a trade! way to risky! Future second is definitely worth it if we can get a pick early in the second round this year. Love to see us get Reid,Collard, Charlie Edwards/George Stevens, Zakostelsky.

Hopefully end up with Livingstone as a rookie. Don’t see Hine Baston being worth it reminds me of Adam Carter back in the day

Ruscoe I think is worth a shot aswell

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Incorrect, Our 2 earliest picks used on the same type of projected player neglecting the fact that our midfield was dog sh*t. In the same draft picking a mid with a horrendous ball drop. Which now brings me to the conclusion Dark Sharks is actually R O'B
We had a prime Nic Nat single-handedly dominating clearances though. He masked a lot of things and reliance on him made our midfield weak.

Same with Darren Glass when he retired. It exposed a huge gap in the defence for a good while until we reworked the systems around the players we actually had.

This is the first time since Michael Gardiner was our #1 ruck that we haven't been going into an offseason assuming we'll have a generational ruckman masking our midfield issues for the coming season.

My point was that we could give up F1 while people have in their minds that it is guaranteed to be a top 2 pick, when really it could end up being pick 8. If we flip it now for Geelong's pick 8 and F1, theoretically we could be trading 2024 pick 8 for 2023 pick 8 & 2024 pick 7.

If we end up trading 1 to Norf for 2, 15, F1, I'd rather trade away our F1 as I'm pretty confident with us out performing them in 2024.

The issue with this is Geelong just spent 2 weeks holding up a trade for pick 1000

There's not a chance they do that trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back