List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

What if,

Both North and West Coast are coming to the conclusion that Reid and McKercher aren’t as far apart as the, at times, OTT media hype surrounding Reid would suggest

Meaning WC are more than happy to settle for Reid but want some incentive to move back from 1 but North are equally happy with McKercher so don’t want to give up anything valuable to get Reid instead

Explains why we knocked back Hawthorns offer because 4 is too far back and why North didn’t offer anything that included pick 2

The advantage North have over us, courtesy of the AFL, is that if they end up with McKercher over Reid they still have 3,15,17,18 to round out their draft adding to an already healthy collection of R1 picks

By contrast if we JTR we have only 23,37,58 to round out our draft adding to a list that is positively anemic when it comes to R1 picks by comparison

In many ways we need to trade pick 1 and are being squeezed to do so as Dylan82 posted about previously

The lack of focus on McKercher is very odd partly because lazy journos can only see Curtin as our next option cos WA

Drafting Brander wasn't the problem you silly kent. His development was.

17 other clubs would've/could've fallen into the same Brander trap we did. Some selection duds you can put on O'Brien and some you cannot, this is the latter.
No. We had a line through Brander, as well as Dow, Cerra, Stephenson (because of his heart issue), O’Brien, Ling & Richards.

Dow & Richards were considered the two biggest flight risks. Similar with Cerra and O’Brien. And Worpel.

Brander was viewed as a Schache type, which we learnt our lesson about.

O’Brien and Ling lacked any sort of contested game.

I've read this 5 times now and it still makes no ******* sense.

We're so keen on pick 2 we'd give up pick 1 and a future 1st for it? For pick 2? We want PICK 2 SO BADLY WE'LL GIVE UP PICK 1 FOR IT? WE WANT PICK 2 MORE THAN PICK 1?

This post has broken me.

What the * are they smoking?
No. If NM have been told by the AFL that pick 2 is going first this year then to get pick 1 you have to have pick 2. We have pick 1 so to get the pick 1 we’d need to trade to get pick 2. It now all makes sense …

except I must admit the bit about F1 has me stumped.

Last edited:
So good for a laugh over there...

View attachment 1835049

michael jordan laughing GIF

I certainly feel a slight shift in ROB’s recent interviews as well. Couple that with the smugness in Rawling’s post trade interview with Riley Beveridge and I reckon there’s already a tentative deal in place.

I just hope we get more than 2, 15, 17 and take McKercher in any variations

Clubs with picks that could be traded up for extra points

West Coast - 37,58 (653 points ~pick 29)
St Kilda - 35,56 (716 points ~pick 27)
Essendon - 31,52 (852 points ~pick 22)
Port 41,49 - (699 points ~pick 28)
Brisbane 30,47 - (945 points ~pick 20)
Fremantle 34,46 - (873 points ~pick 22)
Richmond 29,50 - (926 points ~pick 20)

There’s potential trades that will change the above but as it stands our best option is 37 and 58 for 33 from Hawthorn

Revisiting this now trade period has finished and the draft order has changed :

Our position is unchanged - we could trade up by combining 37 and 58 which are worth 653 points (~pick 29)

Other clubs with tradeable combinations to boost points for Gold Coast

Fremantle 34,46,60 - (1019 points ~pick 18) could trade up to 24 giving GC 234 points but leaving them with only 64 as their 2nd pick

Briskents - 39,51,54 (925 points ~pick 20) could trade up to 26 giving GC 196 extra points

We could possibly use 37 and 58 to trade up to 32 but we’d need to do it before a Walter bid, because if the above two happen 32 will be used to match that bid

The likelihood of our chances of trading up to one of the Suns picks have gone and we’ll need to look somewhere else to improve our draft hand

Last edited:
What if,

Both North and West Coast are coming to the conclusion that Reid and McKercher aren’t as far apart as the, at times, OTT media hype surrounding Reid would suggest

Meaning WC are more than happy to settle for Reid but want some incentive to move back from 1 but North are equally happy with McKercher so don’t want to give up anything valuable to get Reid instead

Explains why we knocked back Hawthorns offer because 4 is too far back and why North didn’t offer anything that included pick 2

The advantage North have over us, courtesy of the AFL, is that if they end up with McKercher over Reid they still have 3,15,17,18 to round out their draft adding to an already healthy collection of R1 picks

By contrast if we JTR we have only 23,37,58 to round out our draft adding to a list that is positively anemic when it comes to R1 picks by comparison

In many ways we need to trade pick 1 and are being squeezed to do so as Dylan82 posted about previously

The lack of focus on McKercher is very odd partly because lazy journos can only see Curtin as our next option cos WA
There's definitely a game being played here. First everything pointed towards North being into Curtin, then into McKercher and Duursma.

It seems like North is into players we are rumoured to be interested in. Making them the essential trading partner.

The North compo pick has screwed our negotiating power a bit. Previously we may have been able to trade with Hawthorn knowing that one of our desired players would still be there.

But that being said, we'll know more about the draft order closer to the draft and we may consider Hawthorn again.

The more I think about it the less I want to trade F1, imagine us taking the best draftees 2yrs on the trot...Vic media would implode..🥰
But we aren’t going to, the way this year is looking.

Top picks are wasted on us.

ROB ‘s ‘ blow us out of the water’ offers are a little ripple in other’s eyes.

I didn't read anything into the interview. It just seemed like ROB was trying to give the most general and dead bat answers to basically all of the questions. Which is fine. I would rather he didn't give too much away. I am not sure why they do interviews at this time at all. I guess they are trying to keep friendly relations with the media and provide them with some kind of content no matter how low information and non - revealing it is. I thought the interview was terrible in terms of the questions. He either asked him pointless open ended softballs or he asked something more specific but it was a question that ROB was never going to give an answer to (i.e. what is the lowest possible offer you will take for pick 1, how much better is Harley Reid than all the other draftees). One thing that ROB should have been pressed on that doesn't give anything away regarding draft pick negotiations is the club's refusal to consider trading out players, especially older players, and what the long term pro's and con's of that will be.

We are all guessing on here but it seems like we want to split our pick and get 2 or 3 future best 22 players instead of 1 but it looks like we may not. And North have decided that they don't want to give up any more than pick 3 and some loose change in exchange for it. It looks like by far the most likely outcome here will be no trade.

Other trade options not involving our F1 :

1) Trade our F3 to Melbourne for 42 (which they may not be using) and the Bulldogs F3 which they hold. On trade 42 and 37 to GC for 27

Gives us 27 for 37 whilst swapping our F3 for the Bulldogs F3

2) Trade our F2 and 58 to Adelaide for 20 (58 gives them a 3rd pick in this draft). This one could be tricky as it’s possible pick 20 might be the first selection on night 2 so Adelaide might ask for more

3) Trade our F2 and 58 to Geelong for 25 and their F2

4) Trade our F3 to Brisbane for 39 helping them with points for the next Ashcroft - they only have their F1 and F3 as it stands

If we could pull off the first two options we’d have 1,20,23,27 this year instead of 1,23,37,58. That improvement comes at the loss of our F2 and our F3 being tied to the Bulldogs finishing position instead of ours

O’Brien says every club would have Reid at 1.

O’Brien says we won’t put a price on pick one otherwise other clubs will work towards it and then they’ll be disappointed if we don’t take it.

Club media tells Fans we are likely to keep pick one.

Twomey tells trade radio multiple times that Eagles are likely to keep pick 1

Board melts because WC haven’t declared for Harley, weeks away from the draft

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any way to find out who has you on ignore. I'm pretty sure Miguel Sanchez has me on ignore but can't figure out why.

Can only put it down to a Saturday JDs rampage at some stage that I don't remember.

Alway funny getting up next day, checking in with a huge amount of notifications and a ban 🤣
Ignore is a state of mind, not a setting.

O’Brien says every club would have Reid at 1.

O’Brien says we won’t put a price on pick one otherwise other clubs will work towards it and then they’ll be disappointed if we don’t take it.

Club media tells Fans we are likely to keep pick one.

Twomey tells trade radio multiple times that Eagles are likely to keep pick 1

Board melts because WC haven’t declared for Harley, weeks away from the draft
All the pundits say, we will keep pick one, until the last few days, when we will trade it for multiple high picks, because pick one, plus pick 20 odd, isn't enough high picks, for where we are at, regardless of how good the number one pick is.

What is pissing me off, and I am sure each and every one of us, is the unbridled vAFL bias by these Victorian morons. I used to think
that King and Montagna were the better of the sad bunch, but the facade has been slipping for a while now. The vAFL media bunch are a pathetic, petty, biased group of twats, they really are.

I am predicting Barrett on Friday

If
West Coast finished trade period with no players asking for out, still holding all it’s main picks for both years (especially pick 1 not being split) and gaining a players that Hawks were disappointed to lose

Then
I‘m giving them an A plus

Yeah Nah - that’s not how click baits work

Got a sneaky feeling we'll end up with 2, F1 and 15.

I want Reid but that's still a solid result
That would be a win.

Norf F1 = wooden spoon to pick 5. Could be anything.

Sell that straight away

Crows
F1 10 14

Dee's
6 10

GWS
7 16

Cats
8 24 F1

Reid trade becomes
2 (2picks as above) 15

4 first rounders and potentially a crows or cats F1

And we retain all our 24 picks.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here's what I don't understand...

If we are so utterly shit that we absolutely need more first-round draft picks... if our list is so totally ****ed that we would consider trading pick 1, and lose out on a player that pretty much every recruiter has described as a "generational talent", just so we could bring in more new recruits...

Why didn't we get compensation from the AFL? Why did North get kissed on the dick by the AFL, but not us? Why is the media narrative that we should (or even must) trade pick 1 to accelerate our rebuild, and not focused on how we've been let down by the AFL?

All year I've heard how utterly dire we are, and how it will take years to dig ourselves out of this hole. But the same arseholes that have been potting us all year, didn't bat an eyelid when North got compensation and we got nothing.

It doesn't compute.

Not trading away Harley Pick 1.
You've heard Gossage say we are live trading next years 1st. So obvious now. Doesn't take a mathematical genius to see this now.
Fookin Freo have 3 first rounders next season. Now we swoop. Trade next yrs 1st for as much WA talent and Harley's Mates we can get 🤣 from this draft. He got Longy, but another 1 or 2 cant hurt.

Other trade options not involving our F1 :

1) Trade our F3 to Melbourne for 42 (which they may not be using) and the Bulldogs F3 which they hold. On trade 42 and 37 to GC for 27

Gives us 27 for 37 whilst swapping our F3 for the Bulldogs F3

2) Trade our F2 and 58 to Adelaide for 20 (58 gives them a 3rd pick in this draft). This one could be tricky as it’s possible pick 20 might be the first selection on night 2 so Adelaide might ask for more

3) Trade our F2 and 58 to Geelong for 25 and their F2

4) Trade our F3 to Brisbane for 39 helping them with points for the next Ashcroft - they only have their F1 and F3 as it stands

If we could pull off the first two options we’d have 1,20,23,27 this year instead of 1,23,37,58. That improvement comes at the loss of our F2 and our F3 being tied to the Bulldogs finishing position instead of ours

Won't 37 and 58 both come in a fair bit with all the GC, Dogs and maybe Hawks picks being eaten up?

Not sure it's worth it, especially with that part of the draft being described by ROB as very even

I'd actually like to trade out all our future picks for picks tied to clubs you'd expect to drop like Cats, Dogs or St.K.

The YouTube algorithm started showing me expos on the Carlton & Melbourne tanking debacles and I have to say there's some big parallels with our 2023 season.

I wouldn't be shocked to see us win 7 to 8 matches next year and "overperform" due to getting a soft draw, the development of younger guys, and (hopefully) not playing matches with non-AFL-listed top-up players in 2024.

All the pundits say, we will keep pick one, until the last few days, when we will trade it for multiple high picks, because pick one, plus pick 20 odd, isn't enough high picks, for where we are at, regardless of how good the number one pick is.
Who is saying it isn't enough high picks ?

Im happy to say down the bottom longer if it means we have a better quality list .

We have Flynn, brockman , Burgeil and who ever else we draft (Reid) as new players to hopefully slot into our best 23 or at least be pushing for it .

We can't go too far the other way and have so many young draftees that they either languish in the 2s or we have an AFL team full of kids without direction getting pumped .

We also have 2nd and 3rd year players ginbey , Hewett, hough, chesser , bazzo , maric , culley , jwilliams , long to pump games into .

I'm happy to take
1 Reid 23 collard 37 ZZ 58 another ROB special / NGA Livingstone

Rookie Van Rooyen / Livingstone

Cat B Hind-baston

Take a mature SSP after being a train on maybe Ruscoe.

That would be 10 players coming to the club

Drafting Brander wasn't the problem you silly kent. His development was.

17 other clubs would've/could've fallen into the same Brander trap we did. Some selection duds you can put on O'Brien and some you cannot, this is the latter.
Brander was underwhelming in his draft year, kids had caught up to him and his size wasn't enough anymore. He'd gone from potential number 1 to whatever we got him for
He'd played mainly back and wasn't a stand out at all.
We reached

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back