List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

I would not say we have anymore info to suggest the gap isn’t that big.

I think the recruiters realise our list is generally poor and in real need of some young top end talent, which three picks or godfather offer would provide.

Taking one player for the next three years in the top 20 will take our rebuild a lot longer. The question we should be asking is Reid that much better than three picks in the 10? And since when does one player win premiership, it’s a team game with a long season.

I say all this with, if Norf don’t give us the godfather offer then * it, JTR.
No one is offering us three picks in the 10 for pick 1.

I think if we take pick one and grab Reid it’s more likely our future picks (F1 or F2) are shopped. With 5-7 local kids in the top 30 I think we would be mad not to grab a few seeing next years WA talent doesn’t look strong at this stage.

We aren’t frightened of recruiting from other states but it’s definitely a safer option grabbing talent locally if we can. Personally would like to see us grab 2-3 of the local boys it’s just a matter of positioning ourselves in the draft correctly.
Isnt this the blueprint of success the Eagles used in your 2018 flag year where the majority of players in your team where from WA?

With the higher turnover of our players and the newer, more youthful list coming through, the senior fans at West Coast games have never struggled more with player names than they do now unfortunately.

Home games are gonna be fun in 2024, bless them.
Imagine the culture shock when number 9 is no longer a large Fijian.

Isnt this the blueprint of success the Eagles used in your 2018 flag year where the majority of players in your team where from WA?

Hurn
Schofield
Duggan
Rioli
Lycett
Shuey
Redden
Venables
Vardy
Cole

All from outside WA - 10 of them

Only Vardy and Redden were traded in, the rest we drafted

It’s a bit of a myth we prioritise WA talent- only if if two players are considered equal do we go the local lad

Recruit WA when talent is a toss of a coin - otherwise, no Eagles, recruit best available.

Eagles had Victorians (ie Mr Norm Smith) - and South Australians (ie our captain) in the squad

I would not say we have anymore info to suggest the gap isn’t that big.

I think the recruiters realise our list is generally poor and in real need of some young top end talent, which three picks or godfather offer would provide.

Taking one player for the next three years in the top 20 will take our rebuild a lot longer. The question we should be asking is Reid that much better than three picks in the 10? And since when does one player win premiership, it’s a team game with a long season.

I say all this with, if Norf don’t give us the godfather offer then * it, JTR.
Would Richmond have won 3 flags without Dusty?

The majority of players in the team being from WA is BAU.

The GF team in 2018 had 12, so a slim majority. Might've been 13 if the first choice 22 were available, but that's roughly the same as what we trotted out in the last few rounds this season.

Exactly 💯

It's why I feel pick 1 will be trade to NM for 2, 15 and 18

If not, our F1 is guaranteed to go to the Crows for 10, 14, 20 and F1
If Crows agree to that I’d do it in a heart beat. That’s F1 for Windsor, DeMattia and Schoenmaker as well as Crows F1. Don’t see them agreeing unless we send 23 back too so they can get Delean or even Moir.

Do we also have to consider the teams we will be contending with when our window opens? Geelong are campaigners but remember their comments about trading Kelly about not making a contending opponent stronger.

I know the tin rattlers are an absolute basket case but if they get their shit together it will be them alongside Hawks and Crows we will be competing against for the flag in 5 years time. If we trade Reid Do you think our midfield can compete with theirs in a few years? LDU, Reid, Wardlaw, Sheezle, Thomas, Simpkin etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m for moving our f2 into this year.

If we move our f2 into this year, we would be odds on to split next year.

And we may even have some players look to move on for success/opportunity if certain players are now being preferred that could net us some draft capital.
After the clear top 3, the talent tiers for me are:
Picks 4-10
Picks 11-21
Picks 21+

I’d much rather try and push 23 into mid teens with our F2. E.g. GWS 16, F2 for our 23 and F2. That’s a win and fair trade for both clubs as I think GWS had academy boys next year.

Do we also have to consider the teams we will be contending with when our window opens? Geelong are campaigners but remember their comments about trading Kelly about not making a contending opponent stronger.

I know the tin rattlers are an absolute basket case but if they get their s**t together it will be them alongside Hawks and Crows we will be competing against for the flag in 5 years time. If we trade Reid Do you think our midfield can compete with theirs in a few years? LDU, Reid, Wardlaw, Sheezle, Thomas, Simpkin etc
I don’t see Thomas still playing in 5 years and Wardlaw will struggle with his hammies too. That being said I still wouldn’t even consider giving them (or anyone else) Reid.

Gold Coast are an interesting one to watch.

If they match McWalter (2), Read (6) and Rogers (12) they will need 4,427 (after discounts).

They only have 3,877 points.

They'll be hoping these guys slide.

After the clear top 3, the talent tiers for me are:
Picks 4-10
Picks 11-21
Picks 21+

I’d much rather try and push 23 into mid teens with our F2. E.g. GWS 16, F2 for our 23 and F2. That’s a win and fair trade for both clubs as I think GWS had academy boys next year.

GWS 16 is Hardeman, Roberts, Green areas.

Our 23 is Edwards, Collard, Schoemaker zone.

We wouldn't give up a F2 to move between these. Surely not.

Hurn
Schofield
Duggan
Rioli
Lycett
Shuey
Redden
Venables
Vardy
Cole

All from outside WA - 10 of them

Only Vardy and Redden were traded in, the rest we drafted

It’s a bit of a myth we prioritise WA talent- only if if two players are considered equal do we go the local lad

Also 4 of our 12 WA guys were traded in (Jetta, Yeo, JK, Cripps) so our drafting by my count was 50/50 Wa vs other states (trading in players was 2:1 WA:interstate ratio which is unsurprising).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would people do 37 and 58 for Gold Coast 32 and 71?

Would give them an extra 40 points and bump us up in the 30s a bit (specifically, ahead of Freo’s first pick if we’re worried about them taking Collard).

GWS 16 is Hardeman, Roberts, Green areas.

Our 23 is Edwards, Collard, Schoemaker zone.

We wouldn't give up a F2 to move between these. Surely not.
16 becomes pick 21, I’d be very, very surprised if Hardeman is still on the board then. Schoenmaker gone by 23 I think but the other 2 should be available. We get GWS F2 back in the trade so we’re not just giving up F2 to move up 6 spots. I just think the step between 11-21 then 22+ is huge.

Depending on how the draft unfolds and what players are available, we could trade our F2 to Brisbane for 30 and 39. This puts us ahead of Freo if we want Collard. Brisbane will need points for Levi Ashcroft next year.

I know the tin rattlers are an absolute basket case but if they get their s**t together it will be them alongside Hawks and Crows we will be competing against for the flag in 5 years time. If we trade Reid Do you think our midfield can compete with theirs in a few years? LDU, Reid, Wardlaw, Sheezle, Thomas, Simpkin etc
The problem with Norths list currently is a lack of reasonably high end talent Key Position/Rucks. They only have Larkey ATM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back