List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

A decade away is 2033, 15 years on from our last flag. I'm not accepting a wait that long, unless it nets us a five-peat.
Well we jagged 2018 with an above average list rather than a great one.

Then you expect it to rebuild entirely over 5 years with realistically only 6x top 10 picks In that time?

Tbh I don't see us legitimate until 2021/2022 draftees in Hough/ Ginbey/Hewett etc are 28-30.

We wont get a clear look on the progression of the rebuild until we see how Chesser, Hough, Bazzo, Barnett come on.
There's good signs with 3/4 so far but i think this year will give us a bigger indication on how they are coming along and hopefully all 3/4 of them progress to regulars in the 22 and hopefully Barnett shows more signs in WAFL.

Hough has already come on.
He will be a regular all season.
They made a mistake not playing him from the beginning of 2023.
excuse me wtf GIF by Bounce

We wont get a clear look on the progression of the rebuild until we see how Chesser, Hough, Bazzo, Barnett come on.
There's good signs with 3/4 so far but i think this year will give us a bigger indication on how they are coming along and hopefully all 3/4 of them progress to regulars in the 22 and hopefully Barnett shows more signs in WAFL.
Chesser 👎
Bazzo 👎
Hough 👍
Barnett 👍

1 bust with 3 maybes IMO. Role players but not top end that will carry the team. We are just about missing a whole next gen spine and while our mids are AFL quality they aren't top tier.

Chesser 👎
Bazzo 👎
Hough 👍
Barnett 👍

1 bust with 3 maybes IMO. Role players but not top end that will carry the team. We are just about missing a whole next gen spine and while our mids are AFL quality they aren't top tier.
Who is the bust? I certainly hope you don’t mean Chesser, poor bloke is lucky to be playing at all after the severity of his ankle injury. We should be treating 2024 as his first season and be judging him on that. We also need a better development pathway than what’s happening at the Beagles. How can guys like JWilliams and Barnett learn their craft in a setup like that being smashed each week?

Chesser 👎
Bazzo 👎
Hough 👍
Barnett 👍

Chesser and Bazzo are coming into their third seasons.

Chesser might as well be in his second.

You just cannot justifiably call them busts at this stage.

Chesser and Bazzo are coming into their third seasons.

Chesser might as well be in his second.

You just cannot justifiably call them busts at this stage.
I called Chesser a bust when we drafted him. Hasn't done much to move the needle up either. At what point he is a write off despite his lofty(for us) draft pick?
Bazzo isn't a bust but I think will be the Schofield kind of guy who is in and out of the team a lot, mainly because he isn't great at actually defending and is only really elite when he is loose which we may find it to accommodate.

Who is the bust? I certainly hope you don’t mean Chesser, poor bloke is lucky to be playing at all after the severity of his ankle injury. We should be treating 2024 as his first season and be judging him on that. We also need a better development pathway than what’s happening at the Beagles. How can guys like JWilliams and Barnett learn their craft in a setup like that being smashed each week?
They train with the group and add on players as needed full time with a lot of ball movement and match sim stuff too. That's probably 20+ hours a week. A game is really only the final piece of the puzzle for the week.
I think it's a plus that you have to do it tough. You learn how to still influence a game or make your moment count when the time comes which is a great mental skill to have.

I called Chesser a bust when we drafted him. Hasn't done much to move the needle up either. At what point he is a write off despite his lofty(for us) draft pick?
Bazzo isn't a bust but I think will be the Schofield kind of guy who is in and out of the team a lot, mainly because he isn't great at actually defending and is only really elite when he is loose which we may find it to accommodate.
I don’t know what gives you the idea that Bazzo isn’t great at defending. Van Rooyen was ripping the colts grand final apart before Bazzo shut him down in his draft year. The kids hard as nails, reads the ball well and has a decent peg on him.

Dont go saying he’s shit because Tex kicked a bag on him or Curnow, at 20 he’s only had one half decent preseason in his career so far. You’re way off the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's win a game first before "building for a flag" which is the best part of a decade away at least
What, like that win against the Bulldogs in Rnd 22?

For what it's worth, I figure we're bottom 4 next year but hopefully move to mid table in 2025 and start pushing into finals contention. Our next flag is due in 2030 but we'll probably lose a grand final a few years before then.

I don’t know what gives you the idea that Bazzo isn’t great at defending. Van Rooyen was ripping the colts grand final apart before Bazzo shut him down in his draft year. The kids hard as nails, reads the ball well and has a decent peg on him.

Dont go saying he’s s**t because Tex kicked a bag on him or Curnow, at 20 he’s only had one half decent preseason in his career so far. You’re way off the mark.
Glass, Mackenzie, 2015-2018 Schofield - were good at defending.

Bazzo plays like Barrass, except with Gov and Barrass he can't do that and is relegated to FB lockdown. I know he's still underweight but doesn't have the body on body nous or mongrel to compete.
He's no bust but has a long long way to go before he's good enough to be a player deserved of a spot in every AFL best 22

I can’t call Chesser either way but it’s been stacked up against him so far. His pluses?
-Tough
  • Doesn’t panic
  • He stops and looks but his delivery can be off.
  • Flies the flag for the team.
  • He was hired as an athletic profile.This is his 1 wood; but it’s the weapon he’s had the least access to due to injuries denying him the chance for an extended run.
Like the “ look under pressure “
Dislike the delivery when “ looking under pressure “
You get the feeling if this kid gets a good run at it he’s gunna be a 200 game , bleed blue and gold , gun!!

Dont go saying he’s s**t because Tex kicked a bag on him or Curnow, at 20 he’s only had one half decent preseason in his career so far. You’re way off the mark.
Also one some good one on ones against Jeremy Cameron in his first year. The guy had a rough pre-season last year and was then thrown to the wolves given our lack of fit KPD. I take much more from 2022 than 2023.

I can’t call Chesser either way but it’s been stacked up against him so far. His pluses?
-Tough
  • Doesn’t panic
  • He stops and looks but his delivery can be off.
  • Flies the flag for the team.
  • He was hired as an athletic profile.This is his 1 wood; but it’s the weapon he’s had the least access to due to injuries denying him the chance for an extended run.
Like the “ look under pressure “
Dislike the delivery when “ looking under pressure “
You get the feeling if this kid gets a good run at it he’s gunna be a 200 game , bleed blue and gold , gun!!
I haven't been wowed by him but I'm hoping last year was just blowing the rust out. I still think he'll follow the Shep trajectory and find good form when moved to half back.

I can understand Dinnaz pessimism, I'm leaning the way it was a punt that didn't work out but the lad seems to have the drive to succeed if his body lets him this year.

This is the make or break year from a development POV I feel.

Simmo’s loyalty to the credits crew has been misguided. He’s not actually doing them any favours, just breeding complacency.

Gaff miraculously turned his form around when he was finally selected as substitute. Him and Sheed need to be made aware that they are now very much in a fight for a position in the team.

Might be wishful thinking but I've been hoping Pyke looking over his shoulder greatly reduces the temptation to continue rolling with the credits crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back