List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Magpies have a whinge.

Meanwhile got Daicos for peanuts.
And they drafted the bulldogs academy kid, Luamon Lual, with pick 39

Magpies have a whinge.

Meanwhile got Daicos for peanuts.

Exactly. Collingwood are a bunch of hypocrites.

Eddie and his henchmen have been whinging about the academies and expansion teams from day one.

Almost too much too early. But now it's gone too far. At least multiple clubs are banging fists on the table.

Needs to be unlimited access for bottom 3 teams and nothing before pick 20 for the rest. Same rules for all.

Ok so I’m confused

The first question states we have one list spot left. O’Brien doesn’t correct him and merely says we’ll decide tomorrow whether to fill it through the RD or SSP

I thought we still had 2 spots

Maybe ROB couldn’t be arsed correcting him or

Comments in the press that we’ve committed to listing Livingstone as a Cat B rookie are accurate which could only be possible if we’ve shifted one of Baker or Dewar to the Cat A rookie list

I think cat b listings get announced prior to the RD tomorrow

ZZ was a late conversion to footy and he admits has alot to learn. Kicking improvement one of them and reading the play.

Relied on his athletic ability as a u18 and needs time to understand his role etc.

Sounds like a rookie pick.

Thing about talls as rookie picks is that it'll take years to see what they're made of anyway - so two years for ZZ on the main list is much for muchness compared to 1 year + a year's renewal on the rookie list. The whole 'give them time' vibe of the rookie list (unless they're a cat B) I feel is a little backwards - would rather rookie list be for players who there's big question marks around that we may see answered in a season or less.

I loved the JTR vibe but think on balance one of Murphy or ZZ would have been the go for mine - that being said given years ago we were screaming just take mids mids mids can't really complain now!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind if Collingwood and Geelong are voicing negativity towards academy player access.
Coupla heavyweight clubs can help as unsure how much AFL House would be listening to WCE alone.
I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong, but GCS with 4 inside 26 picks?
Tells me their academy is working.
Other clubs need more incentive to develop talent than matching outside 40.
Far more resources put in and better talent developed if the field was a bit more level, I suspect.
Which equals better end product for the game.

Ok so I’m confused

The first question states we have one list spot left. O’Brien doesn’t correct him and merely says we’ll decide tomorrow whether to fill it through the RD or SSP

I thought we still had 2 spots

Maybe ROB couldn’t be arsed correcting him or

Comments in the press that we’ve committed to listing Livingstone as a Cat B rookie are accurate which could only be possible if we’ve shifted one of Baker or Dewar to the Cat A rookie list

I think cat b listings get announced prior to the RD tomorrow
You can have up to 3 Cat B rookies so Baker & Dewar don’t need to be moved unless we want to grab another NGA apart from Livingstone.

I'm pretty happy we didn't spunk our F1 on getting Curtin in this year. Realistically it is going to be at worst a top 3 pick and likely 1.

If Curtin was such a lay down misere, the clubs picking prior to GWS wouldn't have opted to use their picks to fill needs and instead drafted based on talent.

Undersized tall with no fixed position, odds are he'll be more Jarrod Brander than Jordan Dawson.

Also don't mind the second Reid pick. Better to take the project key forward early in the rebuild to ensure that F1 next year is more valuable. Worst thing we can do is draft in a plug and play mid with a low ceiling but who helps us next year. It would only be shooting ourselves in the foot if we have a competent 10th-14th finish in 2024.

Not the draft I expected/was hoping for but the recruiters know way more than I ever will so prepared to see how this cohort pans out

• Harley Reid was a no brainer we just had to shut out the external noise and draft him which we did. The jewel in the crown of this draft and we took him as reward for being last
• Archer Reid was a surprise as a tall forward. Not sure where that leaves the Williams lads. Seems talented but inconsistent and needing a lot of development
• Clay Hall I’m happy with on our list but not only did we take him a bit early, we also traded out our F3 to move up 2 spots to get him. Fills a need as an inside accumulator that can find the ball. His strong body could be useful so don’t mind the player just where he was taken
• Harvey Johnston was a typical ROB selection from nowhere who I know nothing about. The type of selection we’ve made in the past overlooking more highly rated players to take a left field option. History of those picks has been mixed

Will be watching how Simpson and Zakostelsky in particular perform at Fremantle and Brisbane respectively

Overall, for a side that finished last it all seems a bit underwhelming aside from Reid.

But they’re all Eagles now so best of luck to all four lads and hope they whelm my socks off in the years to come
I believe Zakostelsky won't see a senior game for 3 or 4 seasons, unless we have a genuine injury crisis with our tall defenders.

Simpson was at the very top of my list for our first pick, but we were prioritising KPP's this draft.

Torrent was a surprising pick. His highlight videos look good.

We've got a decent stockpile of WA kids from recent drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back