List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

I know he probably ends up a KPD- but whenever I see Curtin all I see is a slightly taller Jordan Dawson. Someone that can play a role down back and intercept, but also move further up the ground and use his foot skills.

I’d take Dawson over most midfielders around- he’s a star. If that’s what we see him becoming, I’d be more than happy if we traded our F1 for him.

Two options I think could work

1) Pick 23 for 29 and 41 from Richmond

As it stands there’s only 2 live picks (Geelong and Carlton) between 23 and 29. Could become 3 if Brisbane trade up for 24 from the Suns. Then we get 41 as the bonus for sliding 3-4 spots

Gives us 29,37,41,58

2) Pick 23 for 31 and 35 from Essendon

The more attractive of the two options as there’s still only 3 live picks between 23 and 31 (Brisbane go from 30 to 24 with the Suns). Then we get 35 as the bonus pick

Gives us 31,35,37,58

Both trades dependent on who’s there are 23 and how highly we rate them and assuming we have 5+ targets we’d be happy would still be there at our new picks
Twomey reporting the deal is agreed to. It's just a matter of what we're trading for 24.

Twomey just advised on Gettable that West Coast "will" be offering their future 1st to Hawthorn and beyond for us to select Curtin. Make of that what you will.
I'd still prefer Jagga Smith or Finn O'Sullivan tbh so don't shoot the messenger.
That sounds like more Hawthorn lies to make norf take Curtin with pick 3 so they can get duursma at pick 4 .

We don't disclose any info before the draft so it must have come from the hawks who whe all know tell lies and play silly buggers

That sounds like more Hawthorn lies to make norf take Curtin with pick 3 so they can get duursma at pick 4 .

We don't disclose any info before the draft so it must have come from the hawks who whe all know tell lies and play silly buggers
Or they are trying to spook us into taking their deal for pick 1 so we can grab Curtin with their pick 4 by making it sound like we cant get him trading our F1. That was my impression.

So Curtin has evolved into the flavour of the week now the talk of trading pick one has been squashed

Maybe North, maybe Hawks. Dees are keen. Giants, Cats, Bombers and Crows all ready to pounce if he slides or they might even trade up. Swans also hanging around like a peeping Tom on swingers night thinking they might get lucky

Meanwhile West Coast are supposedly parading our F1 around like a street pimp at 3am on a Saturday morning

Cal Twomey is all aboard on the intrigue as he drums up interest in the same way a magician distracts his audience before the final reveal. Telling us what he already knows now defeats the purpose. Where’s the clicks in that

Are clubs using their supposed interest in Curtin to mask their actual target. Clarkson flying to WA to meet Curtin could easily be him flying to meet Collatd or Hardeman or Tholstrup

Will north take Curtin over Duursma or McKercher? Probably not

Hawks may only use 3 picks and are bringing in two KPP father/sons in McCabe and Dear. So do they recruit 3 talls or more likely pick Watson

Windsor, Leake, Caddy, O’Sullivan

That’s the 4 names that need to go before Curtin if he’s to get to Adelaide at 10 who remain the randiest street crawler likely to wind down their window and ask how much

The problem for us doing a trade with Melbourne, GWS, Geelong or Essendon is whilst our F1 is almost certainly a top 4 pick, maybe pick 1, doing a trade for it means walking away from a top 10 pick this year

So if we really want Curtin, which appears to be the case, we either white knuckle it through to pick 10 or get the Crows involved in a three way. Means that we get 6 (or 7 or..) and Melbourne (or GWS or…) get 10 and Adelaide get our F1 with other picks swapping about to even it all out

End result is if a trade for us to close the Curtin happens it’ll cost us our F1 without much, if anything, coming back

Is that a good idea? It won’t have much support around here or with much of the broader fan base

But if Curtin is ranked in the top 2 or 3 on our recruiters draft board and we have the opportunity to trade into this years draft to get him, then I can see why the club would do it

Might as well put our keys in the bowl and see what happens on the night
I imagine Curtin would be one of very few WA fellas to line up for the crows, can't remember any off the top of my head?

Also, he gets drafted by another team and becomes an elite player (aka TK) after 3 yrs THEN requests a trade back to us.

Now F1 vs what does fulfilling that trade request cost us then.

Now
F1 for Curtin.

3 yrs
2 First rounders.?

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's a freo supporter isn't he?

I've seen multiple posters suggest Collard isn't an area of need.

Mm. Firstly, I'd say every position is an area of need right now. We finished dead last for a reason.

Secondly, it doesn't sound as though his game is limited to forward craft. If he really is being compared to, say, a Shai Bolton, and has the scope to add pace to a wing or the midfield long term - then 100% he fits a specific need.

Be interesting to see where he goes draft night. And how he develops thereafter!
I wouldn't mind using our 2nd on him, a gamble for sure but worth a shot, a great group of indigenous boys around him at the club could do wonders.

Unless of course you rate the player being taken at pick 7 or 8 as a top 3 prospect and therefore are simply bringing the pick forward a year?
In that case I say you're wrong based the fact that 8 other recruitment teams don't rate them as a top 3 prospect (and subsequently take a player over a need because they are absolutely without a doubt best available).

Much better to trade our future 2nd and 3rd to GC for pick 24 then to trade our F1

Even future 2nd + 58 + no bid on Walter for 24

If we have the first 2 picks on night 2 we can sell pick 23 knowing whoever we sell it too doesn't take collard who we then select with the next pick .

Pick 23 for

Essendon 31 + 35

Richmond 29 + 41

Brisbane 30 + 39

Just needs to be that 1 slider to create a bidding war and we pocket the extra player

Say we went with Brisbane we draft

Pick 1 Reid
24 collard
30 zakostelsky
37 Simpson/ hall
39 Moir

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or they are trying to spook us into taking their deal for pick 1 so we can grab Curtin with their pick 4 by making it sound like we cant get him trading our F1. That was my impression.
Well, I dunno how you can 'spook' a club into trading away the most hyped player in draft history for a lesser-rated talent, but you do you boo.

Convinced now that you just post this garbage to get attention.

You'd do well writing for The West.

It’s not just “kick good” it’s his decision making under pressure.I agree he looks more a clean up delivery type but geez he didn’t waste a kick in those highlights packages. Plus he had a little candy.
Line that up with Duggan,Cole,JJ ,Hunt,Barass. Mmmmm??
That's his #1 selling point. And the reason we are most likely into him so highly.
Good kick, very solid over a game but not elite. Tends to take the easier options which is a plus for decision making as I think he could expand more but plays a little within himself (perfect as a backman).

Saying that over the course of the year I didn't really see any 50+ roosts, game breaking bullet kicks or line breaking + delivery. Also a lot of these were also not under duress or at any great pace where (like everyone else) skills drop off.

the big upside if we do trade our F1 is that i wont have that iky feeling of not wanting to win towards the end of the season.
That was an absolute horrible feeling that I’ve never experienced before, felt so weird basically cheering those Essendon goals and losing my shit during the dogs game. I never want to go through that again tbh.

But in fairness to many supporters including myself, we witnessed our worst season in history and one of the worst seasons of any team in afl history and the thought of walking away without the number 1 pick after all of that was what triggered me/us

Last edited:
Honestly, Pyke's response on SEN about the Eagles' willingness shift a pick into this draft (asked specifically about Curtin, but responded more generally than that) was played with less of a straight bat than I thought it would be. From memory he opted to introduce terminology like 'accelerating the rebuild' (paraphrasing) or something like that. Found it interesting as I anticipated him being very hands-off and neutral at this point.

That's his #1 selling point. And the reason we are most likely into him so highly.
Good kick, very solid over a game but not elite. Tends to take the easier options which is a plus for decision making as I think he could expand more but plays a little within himself (perfect as a backman).

Saying that over the course of the year I didn't really see any 50+ roosts, game breaking bullet kicks or line breaking + delivery. Also a lot of these were also not under duress or at any great pace where (like everyone else) skills drop off.
I thought his vision was very good and execution under pressure very good.
But as somebody previously said “it’s a highlights package “.

If the CLUB rates Curtin as a top 3 talent and is willing to potentially give up pick 1 next season for 6 and 11 or 6 and F1 from Melbourne to grab him, I can understand parting with the F1.

Will hurt next year if we have another crap year, but it all depends how highly the club itself rates Curtin and whether missing out on 2024 top talent is worth it in their view.

Might not even be an option. North could well take him early at any rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back