List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

To much info!
touch myself britney spears GIF

JK, I don't think about you in this way, FYI.

So NN, who has a young family at home, has gone to Melbourne 4 nights early so he can hand a jumper to a player. Seems legit.

Oooo boy, you better hope this doesn't come off or he'll be demanding apologies for months!

It's pretty much what he does though. Plays as a loose defender, gathers the footy and distributes effectively. I really like his kicking style as it's not just a highlights package. 75%-80% efficiency by foot is really good for a defender and probably what he sits at.

To me though the fact that he doesn't do a lot else is why i'm staggered he's rated so high. Defends 1 on 1 fine but the rest of the time he's manufactured as a spare and doesn't have a lot of effect with it.
For a tall he's poor overhead, doesn't seem overly athletic & can't play forward. As a mid he is almost exactly Sheed, waiting for the extraction instead of smashing things with his size.

For a non bias view when investigating numbers for all positions it roughly paints him as (in a standard draft):
Fwd: Undraftable
Mid: 15-40
Key Def: 20-40
Gen Def: 15-25

This year is a bit weaker so you can bring numbers in maybe up to 5 places for an idea.

I have been on this board for many years now, probably way too many years if I am honest, but I have been reading your posts and showing some restraint from replying.

By God you post some absolute shit when assessing prospective players, when looking at draft cohorts.

I am mindful that all posters need to not get personal with their posts and be respectful, but I just wonder if you have ever actually played, or coached the game at any decent level, because you seem to be a fanatical numbers man.

I sort get the feeling that if you were shooting for goal, you would be getting out the protractor, compass and set square to work out your kicking action.

The heat of the battle decision making seems to be lost on you, either that or you don't actually comprehend the nuances of playing the game.

I read your many expansive posts and I scratch my head and think you must be related to, Paul De Podest AKA known as the "Money Ball" man in American Sport.

Good in theory, but as his stint at the Cleveland Browns shows, it reeks of practical failure.

The down fall of analytics is that it has no answer for such actions as a shirtfront a jumper punch or a king hit, or even an out desired one on one contest, how do you measure desire and hunger for the contest or footy IQ.

Not sure what you do for a living, but I suspect its theoretical and not practical in orientation.

Apologise if you find this post offensive, BUT it needs to be pointed out to you that football is more than a game of chess.

Last edited:

Twomey just advised on Gettable that West Coast "will" be offering their future 1st to Hawthorn and beyond for us to select Curtin. Make of that what you will.
I'd still prefer Jagga Smith or Finn O'Sullivan tbh so don't shoot the messenger.
Hence the Hawks flying Curtin over to improve their bargaining position. "He's top 4 worthy. You're not getting shit back for your future first WCE"

If we can pick up

Sanders (6)

Connor O Sullivan

Then I can say that it will be better then a stand alone top 4 mid. Sanders head to head with any of top 4 mid is hard to put Sanders as being better.

It can even be argued if we get those two many might say run to the bank

I am pleased to hear we are going to try to snare Curtin however i'd only be entertaining it if he got to the Demons.

Hawks won't give us pick 4 and a future first for next years pick but i think the Demons would give us pick 6 and and their future first which will most likely be in the late teens, early 20's.

Considering we are most likely bottom 4 this is a fair trade for both parties.

Yes, we are paying a slight premium but Demons carry the larger risk and we get a W.A boy a year early who we highly rate and avoid the mommys boys at the top end of the draft next year.

I'm curious what position the club sees him playing though. Could he play wing? Could he be a swingman? Everyone who sees him as a rebounding defender may be correct...... they may also be wrong.

It also means clubs such as Dogs and Tigers think twice about matching any potential free agency offers for English and or Baker. It's not like we can give them what we don't have and we can simply say our future first is off the table.

A mid to late first round pick would be more than enough to trade for Busslinger if that's the plan as well.

I'd much prefer rolling the dice with next years pick than this years.
Two problems

1. I doubt Melbourne give us their future first back
2. Doesn't matter if he would otherwise get to the Demons or not. We offer F1 for Hawks' pick 4, they take it, done deal

That sounds like more Hawthorn lies to make norf take Curtin with pick 3 so they can get duursma at pick 4 .

We don't disclose any info before the draft so it must have come from the hawks who whe all know tell lies and play silly buggers
How does that force North to take Curtin though? North couldn't care less what Hawks do after their picks

Draft picks held by club (87 picks total):

Adelaide(3): 10,14,20
(Using 2-3)

Brisbane(5): 30,39,51,54,65
(Using 2-3)

Carlton(3): 22,28,68
(Using 3)

Collingwood(5): 19,33,72,80,84
(Using 1-2)

Essendon(3): 9,31,35
(Using 3)

Fremantle(5): 34,46,60,63,74
(Using 3)

Geelong(7): 8,25,70,75,79,81,85
(Using 4-5)

Gold Coast(6): 24,26,27,32,36,38
(Using 4)

GWS(5): 7,16,43,59,71
(Using 3)

Hawthorn(6): 4,44,47,49,61,62
(Using 3)

Melbourne(4): 6,11,42,78
(Using 2-3)

North Melbourne(6): 2,3,15,17,18,57
(Using 5-6)

Port Adelaide(3): 69,83,87
(Using 1-2)

Richmond(4): 29,41,64,66
(Using 2)

St Kilda(6): 13,21,40,77,82,86
(Using 4-5)

Sydney(4): 12,45,55,76
(Using 2)

West Coast(5): 1,23,37,58,73
(Using 4-5)

Western Bulldogs(7): 5,48,50,52,53,56,67
(Using 4)

Would like us to have a crack at the pick 20 Adelaide are holding with our F2 but overall trading into that 20-40 range for another pick is going to be tough to find a partner

* this shits me how Gold Coast can continue trading backwards and backwards on draft night, futher diluting teams with picks in 25-40 range as the earlier picks are no longer sucked up matching
The whole FA, FS and Academy setup is such a shitty shitty system

Going into the draft clubs are only allowed to hold as many picks as they have list spots but as soon as the draft starts they can collect as many picks as they like by continually trading back

The restriction on picks/list spots should be maintained as the draft proceeds

I also think that when matching a bid, clubs should only be allowed to use a maximum of 2 picks to match the points needed

System needs a complete overhaul

Where did you guys see / hear Nic Nat has flown to Melbourne with the recruitment team?

It was one poster who mentioned it who didn’t say how he knew

There’s been no confirmation from any other posters

Flying out now seems a bit early

Does anyone remember what time the second day of draft (Round 2, Tuesday) usually starts? Is it similar to day 1 i.e. late in day, or during middle of day?

Same time as day 1 (around 7.00pm)

Rookie draft on day 3 is earlier (around 3.00pm)

*EDST

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draft picks held by club (87 picks total):

Adelaide(3): 10,14,20
(Using 2-3)

Brisbane(5): 30,39,51,54,65
(Using 2-3)

Carlton(3): 22,28,68
(Using 3)

Collingwood(5): 19,33,72,80,84
(Using 1-2)

Essendon(3): 9,31,35
(Using 3)

Fremantle(5): 34,46,60,63,74
(Using 3)

Geelong(7): 8,25,70,75,79,81,85
(Using 4-5)

Gold Coast(6): 24,26,27,32,36,38
(Using 4)

GWS(5): 7,16,43,59,71
(Using 3)

Hawthorn(6): 4,44,47,49,61,62
(Using 3)

Melbourne(4): 6,11,42,78
(Using 2-3)

North Melbourne(6): 2,3,15,17,18,57
(Using 5-6)

Port Adelaide(3): 69,83,87
(Using 1-2)

Richmond(4): 29,41,64,66
(Using 2)

St Kilda(6): 13,21,40,77,82,86
(Using 4-5)

Sydney(4): 12,45,55,76
(Using 2)

West Coast(5): 1,23,37,58,73
(Using 4-5)

Western Bulldogs(7): 5,48,50,52,53,56,67
(Using 4)

Would like us to have a crack at the pick 20 Adelaide are holding with our F2 but overall trading into that 20-40 range for another pick is going to be tough to find a partner
Makes my blood boil every time I see norths draft hand comparative to our own knowing we went into this with a superior position to them yet due to AFL ****ery north are now taking 5 first rounders. What a ****ing disgrace of an assistance package.

I can guarantee you the media commentary next year will be west coast still bad should have split pick one, needed more talent expecting us to sacrifice elite talent in a system where Gold Coast and North are getting free hits at first rounders on top of their existing picks despite being better than us.

End rant.

Last edited:
If we walk away next week with using 1, 23*, 37* and 58*

Then that's an utter disgrace.

You have to be creative these days and taking your ordinary picks in a comprised draft isn't going to cut it

2 top 30 picks isn't enough
lol. No one else is going to take our sh*t picks and most don’t want to trade next years first. We’re a bit hamstrung. Instead of criticising, offer up what you would have done that’s realistic.

And p.s 23, 37 and f2 for Geelongs 8 ain’t happening

Keep in mind as well if Eagles had picks 2 and 3 from North we'd be taking McKercher and Curtin so the club does rate Curtin in the top 5 of this years crop.

Keep in mind as well if Eagles had picks 2 and 3 from North we'd be taking McKercher and Curtin so the club does rate Curtin in the top 5 of this years crop.
You have no way of knowing that for certain. And would be able to trade pick 3 backwards if other clubs weren’t going to take him high.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter. Wherever he’s drafted I hope he kills it and then comes home after two years

You have no way of knowing that for certain. And would be able to trade pick 3 backwards if other clubs weren’t going to take him high.

Ultimately it doesn’t matter. Wherever he’s drafted I hope he kills it and then comes home after two years

I'm very confident in that being accurate.

Twomey just advised on Gettable that West Coast "will" be offering their future 1st to Hawthorn and beyond for us to select Curtin. Make of that what you will.
I'd still prefer Jagga Smith or Finn O'Sullivan tbh so don't shoot the messenger.

So the offer to Hawks would be a straight swap. Top 4 pick for a future top 3 pick.

If he slides to live pick 8 to 10 when does the straight swap fall short and it needs something else?

So the offer to Hawks would be a straight swap. Top 4 pick for a future top 3 pick.

If he slides to live pick 8 to 10 when does the straight swap fall short and it needs something else?
The more I’m looking at what potential deals look like the more I want to keep F1 and take ZZ or Schoenmaker with a later pick. F1 for 4 (5) is a horrible deal and based purely on media and broad opinions on here, we aren’t getting anywhere near enough back with pick 6-10. There are definitely potential deals there I’d be happy with for pick 6-10 but I’ve accepted they are unlikely to be offered, even if they are fair for both clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back