List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

The missing piece to another non-flag season?
Collard and Ross with not be a good fit, nature will take its course. Took us 5 years to make a GF and 6 years to win a flag. This flog has won one in 150 years and that includes all the years when there was only a handful of teams. They’ll spend another century in the wilderness, unable to compete. No need to give him oxygen.

The timing of the doctor report & the need for a second opinion denied this
It wasn't poor management as you state.

We are talking about a 2nd pick in a mid season draft so its isnt as if we losts alot here.

And as mentioned we dont know the full story and timing of things. If a recent setback required a 2nd opinion then there was nothing we could have done differently. If we didnt leave ourselves time to get a 2nd opinion......thats a bit different.

End of the day it would have been bad management if Nic and the club just gave up and tossed in the towel before trying everything. The club allowed time for a club champion to make a full aassessment and for him to make a call.

No issues with how it was treated. Nic is an all time legend and I feel the situation was handled as well as could be expected. A sad conclusion for such a great players career.

Bottom side trading fringe players won't bet us anything.
Our players don't have any currency. Either too old or too s**t. Unless we put our recent draftees on the trade table.

Bailey Williams is one of the few who could land a decent trade value if he decided to move.

Barrass obviously.

Ryan as well but just cant see him leaving WA.

Duggan would land a decent pick as well but dont see him leaving either.

None of them are fringe players.

We are then just missing someone athletic enough to take on the biggest and best KPF.
Playing on the King brothers must be a nightmare for the reach and agility they have.

And Id suggest that is why we retained Jaimison. He has better speed and agility than most talls. Just needs to develop his game.

Remember one thing this club has been very good at is developing talls, especially defenders.

Last edited:
I hope the predictions way back in Feb this year were 12 months premature in players predictions of who would have a breakout year in Harry Edwards, but if not, is it beyond the realms of logic that we could get a late second rounder for H Edwards if we were to trade him?
Cats got 25, 76 and 94 for Esava (I know different players), but the market for tall's, sometimes regardless of talent and a broken system (B McKay pick 3.....) seem to deliver better then normal compensation?

Last edited:
The timing of the doctor report & the need for a second opinion denied this
It wasn't poor management as you state.

As Obeanie has said this is a debate about a second pick in the MSD so not sheep stations so it isn’t a huge deal.

However….

2nd opinion needed is not really a valid reason for Nic not being able to be listed on the LTI list (or if it is, the doc who gave the first opinion should be black listed from the club in perpetuity).

Nic had a minor setback preseason, leading to strengthening exercises rather than training, leading to a progressively worse injury, leading to little-to-no training (fitness/running/etc) being done by Nic around the MSD draft time (31 May).

There were 13 weeks (inc a bye), just under 3 months, left in our season. Noting that a best case scenario for Nic would have been a month to 6 weeks off legs and a rebuild for a farewell game it was pretty obvious that was very unlikely.

Add to this that a player can return as long as another player is put on the LTI list (we had a heap of options later in the season, whilst never guaranteed - anyone who has not been asleep for 2 years would have understood the almost certainty of some season ending injuries to eagles players in the back half of a year).

It doesn’t really matter, but it is still poor management regardless of whether we choose to take a 2nd pick or not. I would say things like salary cap are more likely the reason, but the optics of making that public when the team is eeking out the worst AFL season in history by any club were strongly considered.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Collard and Ross with not be a good fit, nature will take its course. Took us 5 years to make a GF and 6 years to win a flag. This flog has won one in 150 years and that includes all the years when there was only a handful of teams. They’ll spend another century in the wilderness, unable to compete. No need to give him oxygen.
we'll get him in 2 years for a 3rd round pick or less.

Eagles will somehow blow it like they did this year by moving a player to the LTI AFTER the MSD.... Was shocked that they didnt explore a second pick with the Natanui situation. Suggests to me that they priortised trying to maybe get him one last farewell game instead of rebuilding our team.
Please elaborate as to which player you think we blew it with by not taking a second pick?

It seems like we are now starting to have some quality players competing for positions
Competition will be important

Question for you on Gaff. The rule changes with 666 and Stand have been a negative for him. Will Simmo just keep picking our training endurance beast regardless of form? Making him sub for 1 game last year was hardly delivering a harsh message.

I am aware he was trying to be an inside mid and his body took the toll. My problem is he looks a has-been but there is widespread belief he is one of the first to be invited to Simmo’s bbq. Competition for spots is important - but there needs to be aligned with match selection integrity

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collard looks like a nice prospect. Thanks.

Shame we’ll only have him for a year before he wants out of our joke of a club

Yeah I give it a year too, bizarre selection by the saints.

Part of me thinks it was a Ross the Boss move to piss of the eagles.

In classic Roscoe style though, it will probably backfire, I like our draft picks, and we will end up with Collard later anyway!

Any club should be confident they can draft and retain a player and should be challenging themselves to by backing in their culture.

But on the other hand it's the Lyon & Saints and they have the stink of being perennial losers seeping out of their pores so they should probably just fold their club.

Have you met ep2018? I feel like you guys would really get along.

Edit: In all seriousness, good luck with Collard.

Yeah I give it a year too, bizarre selection by the saints.

Part of me thinks it was a Ross the Boss move to piss of the eagles.

In classic Roscoe style though, it will probably backfire, I like our draft picks, and we will end up with Collard later anyway!

There may or may not have been an additional sentence tacked on to that post by an unnamed mod

In any case, he is unable to reply to anything in this thread due to another deleted post

Competition will be important

Question for you on Gaff. The rule changes with 666 and Stand have been a negative for him. Will Simmo just keep picking our training endurance beast regardless of form? Making him sub for 1 game last year was hardly delivering a harsh message.

I am aware he was trying to be an inside mid and his body took the toll. My problem is he looks a has-been but there is widespread belief he is one of the first to be invited to Simmo’s bbq. Competition for spots is important - but there needs to be aligned with match selection integrity
Much of the issue with Gaff last year was the availability of midfield depth until he was "dropped".

Please elaborate as to which player you think we blew it with by not taking a second pick?

Jack Buller could have been a look in but its not really about what player we could have gotten as per my previous post to Keys, more about WCE being there for the opportunity to draft someone who slips through other teams if present and also keeping a full list as per my previous reply to Keys. Eagles finished the season with 15 players listed on their injury list (pic below) coming into the final round with over half of these ruled out for the rest of the season weeks to months before. Obviously hard to predict LTI's (and easier looking back in hindsight) but seems short sighted to think we wouldn't have anymore serious injuries over 2nd half of the season such that an extra player on the list wouldn't help. My partner works in health and they get pressured to get medical assessments/reports completed in short turn arounds when clients have strict deadlines. Maybe WCE doctors were on leave leading up to the MSD so missed the deadline as others suggested.

1701049517409.png

Jack Buller could have been a look in but its not really about what player we could have gotten as per my previous post to Keys, more about WCE being there for the opportunity to draft someone who slips through other teams if present and also keeping a full list as per my previous reply to Keys. Eagles finished the season with 15 players listed on their injury list (pic below) coming into the final round with over half of these ruled out for the rest of the season weeks to months before. Obviously hard to predict LTI's (and easier looking back in hindsight) but seems short sighted to think we wouldn't have anymore serious injuries over 2nd half of the season such that an extra player on the list wouldn't help. My partner works in health and they get pressured to get medical assessments/reports completed in short turn arounds when clients have strict deadlines. Maybe WCE doctors were on leave leading up to the MSD so missed the deadline as others suggested.

View attachment 1861528
Also need to factor in the contract length some players put on their heads.
Some nominated the 6, some the 18.
Buller was 18months if I recall.

ESPN has ranked them, be interesting to see who ends up the best fit for our list. I reckon Jagga.
Few interesting things in there, not the top 10 as hard to disagree with it. But he mentioned Bo Allan as a midfielder, I've only ever seen him as a mid sized defender. Also, missed that Champion is our NGA.

Few interesting things in there, not the top 10 as hard to disagree with it. But he mentioned Bo Allan as a midfielder, I've only ever seen him as a mid sized defender. Also, missed that Champion is our NGA.
I’m hoping that Freo like Bo Allan with one of their late 1R and leaves Champion to fall outside top 20. Mark Evans (GCS CEO) has come out and said drop the 40+ for other clubs to 20 which is good. We’re about due a break for NGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back