• 6, 11, 14, 18

• 6, 10, 11, 26 & WCE 2025 R2

• 6, 10, 18, 26 & WCE 2025 R2

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

1728681593571.png

1728682024002.png

THE STAKES are high for Fremantle over the next five days as it negotiates a trade for just the right player, at exactly the right time, but with the wrong asking price.

The Dockers and Richmond are involved in a standoff for star forward/midfielder Shai Bolton, who has the ability to transform his new club from a non-finalist in 2024 into a premiership contender in 2025.

But Fremantle's offer of picks No.10 and 18 has so far been rebuffed as the Tigers' hold firm on their request for No.10 and 11, with negotiations now moving into week two of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

The stakes are high for the Dockers because Bolton is a player they can hardly afford to walk away from knowing the impact he would likely have at his second club, which has built strategically for this point.

While other factors will contribute to the team's anticipated improvement, the dual premiership star gives them the required midfield speed and goalkicking power to become a flag threat.

Are they really willing to deny themselves another elite, ready-to-go talent at this moment in favour of more youth, even if Sydney superstar Chad Warner looms as a target next year?

While the Tigers have been painted as stubborn in their positioning, the fact remains Bolton is a player with four years to run on a contract, albeit one who has reasons to request a move home to Western Australia.

Conceding so early in negotiations would make little sense, especially when they know how valuable Bolton will be for Fremantle.

The Dockers' list build so far has left them in a position where they have the ability to pay a high price for Bolton, even if it means finding middle ground between the clubs' respective positions.

They would also be following the path of recent premiers who have taken risks at the trade table to fill the remaining gaps on their lists, giving them the crucial edge over rivals.

Brisbane is a perfect example and can point to Western Bulldogs' premiership player Josh Dunkley, ex-Docker Lachie Neale, and former Adelaide forward Charlie Cameron as premiership heroes who were secured for a premium to fill needs.

Former Essendon forward Joe Daniher arrived as a restricted free agent, while premiership players Callum Ah Chee (Gold Coast) and Darcy Fort (Geelong) were bargain trades that delivered when it mattered most.

All up, the Lions secured five of their premiership 23 via trades for a total cost of five first-round picks and a combination of later selections.

Giving up those picks was a risk worth taking for Brisbane, just like it was for Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne and Richmond before them, who all rounded out their lists with successful, if costly, trades.

The key for those teams has been getting the right players at the right time, and it is why Bolton makes so much sense for Fremantle, which needed a better scoreboard return from its small forwards in 2024.

Bolton's All-Australian season came in 2022 when he booted 43 goals and averaged 17.5 disposals in a Richmond team that won 13 games and lost an elimination final to Brisbane.

That goal tally would have ranked him No.2 at Fremantle in 2024, just behind star key forward Josh Treacy (45) and ahead of sidekick Jye Amiss (36). It's reasonable to expect he can deliver at that level in a team that is contending.

The 25-year-old's fast feet at stoppages will then complement star trio Caleb Serong, Hayden Young and Andrew Brayshaw, who can create room in the centre square through their own ability to rotate forward.

While multiple player exits in each of the past two off-seasons set the Dockers back, they also contributed to the opportunity the club has this year with picks No.10, 11 and 18.

Those exits have also coincided with the key arrivals of forward/ruck Luke Jackson, wingman and pre-season selection Jeremy Sharp and the earlier addition of half-back Jordan Clark from rival clubs.

Negotiating hard until you can get the best available deal for your club is the job of a list manager, and it is right to say the Tigers' demands of pick No.10 and 11 in a first-round that clubs are desperate to climb into is over the top.

But compromising and settling on some middle ground can still be a win for Fremantle if that's what it comes to late in the Trade Period. It could be the last in a series of moves that helps the club win its first premiership.

This may sound like the Blair witch hunt but he’s taken a week and been bent over. I have hammered Magics responses in the past but that deal was absolute shite and I think like Magic the club should be looking for another negotiator. Unless he has determined with Toce that we intend to bid on Ashcroft (saves lions 600 points), then we’ve basically given 2300 points for 900. Disgraceful. I know many in here say points don’t matter but this is paramount to total incompetence. No trade has ever had that much differential. I also am aware when trading points for a pick you need to give more than the pick value but holy crap. This was ridiculous! All I can think of was, we refused to give the Lions any assurances we’d over look their FS & NGA kids. If we don’t call Ashcroft at #1 then this trade becomes even more horrific.
Should wait until Wednesday or even draft night before making assessments on Blair's performance.
Still plenty to play out.
Cats may need 18 or 20 for the Smith trade.
F1 could be our asking price.
Pies might like a kid @ 18.
F1 our way.
Who knows.

View attachment 2138842

View attachment 2138847

THE STAKES are high for Fremantle over the next five days as it negotiates a trade for just the right player, at exactly the right time, but with the wrong asking price.

The Dockers and Richmond are involved in a standoff for star forward/midfielder Shai Bolton, who has the ability to transform his new club from a non-finalist in 2024 into a premiership contender in 2025.

But Fremantle's offer of picks No.10 and 18 has so far been rebuffed as the Tigers' hold firm on their request for No.10 and 11, with negotiations now moving into week two of the Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period.

The stakes are high for the Dockers because Bolton is a player they can hardly afford to walk away from knowing the impact he would likely have at his second club, which has built strategically for this point.

While other factors will contribute to the team's anticipated improvement, the dual premiership star gives them the required midfield speed and goalkicking power to become a flag threat.

Are they really willing to deny themselves another elite, ready-to-go talent at this moment in favour of more youth, even if Sydney superstar Chad Warner looms as a target next year?

While the Tigers have been painted as stubborn in their positioning, the fact remains Bolton is a player with four years to run on a contract, albeit one who has reasons to request a move home to Western Australia.

Conceding so early in negotiations would make little sense, especially when they know how valuable Bolton will be for Fremantle.

The Dockers' list build so far has left them in a position where they have the ability to pay a high price for Bolton, even if it means finding middle ground between the clubs' respective positions.

They would also be following the path of recent premiers who have taken risks at the trade table to fill the remaining gaps on their lists, giving them the crucial edge over rivals.

Brisbane is a perfect example and can point to Western Bulldogs' premiership player Josh Dunkley, ex-Docker Lachie Neale, and former Adelaide forward Charlie Cameron as premiership heroes who were secured for a premium to fill needs.

Former Essendon forward Joe Daniher arrived as a restricted free agent, while premiership players Callum Ah Chee (Gold Coast) and Darcy Fort (Geelong) were bargain trades that delivered when it mattered most.

All up, the Lions secured five of their premiership 23 via trades for a total cost of five first-round picks and a combination of later selections.

Giving up those picks was a risk worth taking for Brisbane, just like it was for Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne and Richmond before them, who all rounded out their lists with successful, if costly, trades.

The key for those teams has been getting the right players at the right time, and it is why Bolton makes so much sense for Fremantle, which needed a better scoreboard return from its small forwards in 2024.

Bolton's All-Australian season came in 2022 when he booted 43 goals and averaged 17.5 disposals in a Richmond team that won 13 games and lost an elimination final to Brisbane.

That goal tally would have ranked him No.2 at Fremantle in 2024, just behind star key forward Josh Treacy (45) and ahead of sidekick Jye Amiss (36). It's reasonable to expect he can deliver at that level in a team that is contending.

The 25-year-old's fast feet at stoppages will then complement star trio Caleb Serong, Hayden Young and Andrew Brayshaw, who can create room in the centre square through their own ability to rotate forward.

While multiple player exits in each of the past two off-seasons set the Dockers back, they also contributed to the opportunity the club has this year with picks No.10, 11 and 18.

Those exits have also coincided with the key arrivals of forward/ruck Luke Jackson, wingman and pre-season selection Jeremy Sharp and the earlier addition of half-back Jordan Clark from rival clubs.

Negotiating hard until you can get the best available deal for your club is the job of a list manager, and it is right to say the Tigers' demands of pick No.10 and 11 in a first-round that clubs are desperate to climb into is over the top.

But compromising and settling on some middle ground can still be a win for Fremantle if that's what it comes to late in the Trade Period. It could be the last in a series of moves that helps the club win its first premiership.

First common sense article I've seen

Baker in serious limbo now, not sure how they get the deal done, but walking to the PSD is fanciful does not happen & I don't think Liam Baker would do that to us after we have given him everything.

I don't know why people are so happy on the Eagles board, Hawks will still get Barass & they will get less value now, they are likely to give up pick 3, I reckon them getting Baker + drafting one of the best mids in this draft would have been the way to go. but they likely getting picks outside the top 10 for splitting.
I think to help him with his decision on going to the Dockers or go to the PSD if a deal can't be done, we need to let him know we are also happy for him to continue with us and will pick him up PSD.

Problem is we will never ever have a draft hand like we had going into this trade period. i have no faith that we will do what's required for the remainder of the trade period. This was our worst year in the history of the club and its not even over yet.
It's only Saturday mate.
Trade week starts Wednesday @ 10.20 for us.

Do people not realise the dees have the picks that could have beaten us to pick 20 especially with the Brisbane guy having just nominated them. I imagine that might have been the reason it happened now and also the reason we paid what we did.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No they didn't, plus Melbourne also have to use a pick on Sharp. Are also trying use 24 and F1 to get pick 13.

Should got a better deal IMO especially when we have the leverage of bidding on Ashcroft at pick 1.

View attachment 2138842

View attachment 2138847

Bolton rotating with Serong, Young, and Bradshaw will be deadly. Freo need to get it done.

I was pretty drunk (and had a grumpy missus next to me who wanted to stay out but won’t be getting up for 8am swim lessons) when I wrote this so i apologise for being rude.

But find me the historical trade where a team has given almost twice (1.88 times) as many points for a late first or early second in a draft points for picks trade? I haven’t found one they’re all about 1.2-1.5 times, but happy to be corrected, would honestly make me less annoyed at this trade.

Also who were we competing against? We always had that deal available. The closest was Melbourne with about 1500 points with all their picks, plus they want sharp so 28+40+49+54+65 for 20 and sharp?

I don’t hate the deal in the sense we needed 20 and we weren’t using those picks ever. It’s an overpay especially when we should also be gunning for GCs 13 in much the same way. If they wipe out their first 3 picks they only have just shy of 1300 points for Lombard, that means any pick before 8/9 for him puts them into deficit next year, there is no way known they want that with next years academy prospects.

Take 45 from lions they still get 1350 for 900 points if we are worried add in 51 for 1600 points, ones a 1.5 times increase, more in line with historical trades, or 1.77 if we needed too. Plus we have the added leverage of not bidding on Ashcroft @ 1 which saves them 400 points.

The 45 + 61 + 70 goes to GC who now have 1750 odd points. They can now match every bid from 3 onwards, and probably don’t have to worry about us bidding @ 1 so now they’ve only got to avoid 2 to avoid a deficit next year.

We have/had a lot of trade leverage with both clubs given they want our points and don’t want either of the pick 1 worthy freebie prospects bid on at 1. So why did we overpay when you compare with historical precedent? Happy to let Blair cook until the end of the draft but I think it’s also fair to question this trade in isolation, Blair has to make this work and I’m my mind he’s made a stumble. But maybe this is “Draft day” and Bo Callaghan is sliding and he’ll turn it all around in the final deal.
Im not sure why you're so obsessed with previous trades. Should all trades follow the same formula Even when the circumstances are completely different?

I don't know who we were competing against, and neither do you. Considering how many teams have been reported trying to get more first round picks, I highly doubt we were the only team offering anything.

Just think of this in a logical way. All trade period we have been stubborn in getting a good deal in all of our trades, not just an ok deal, but a good to great deal.
Do you think if there were no other teams making offers for that pick, that we just threw in more picks than we needed for no reason. Like we just decided to stop getting the best value and to just throw in picks to be nice?

You are far to obsessed with points. Points matter to Brisbane, but not to us.
You are far to obsessed with previous history. If this draft is as strong as people say, then logically pick 20 is much stronger than it has been. Therefore it makes sense that Brisbane get a higher return for it.

Nothing we have done this trade periods has been dumb. If there were better options, we would've taken it. If the other options wouldve risked a another team swooping in and having to trade them into next year's weaker draft, then yes, paying historically more is the best choice.

I’m holding out hope that we aren’t gonna fug this draft up.

If we don’t get at least 3 good to very good players after losing Rioli baker and Bolton, that’s gonna set us back 3 extra years minimum.

The amount of points we gave brissy does look to be ott at this point, let’s wait and see if things are still going to plan or if we’re going full dumb Kent

Just because BigFooty thinktank says it should be doesn't make it so.

Your premise is based on Brisbane wanting to trade their future first, Brisbane may have different aims and objectives regarding the use of that pick in 2025.

Brisbane shouldn’t have had a choice but to trade their future first or multiple players.

If we bid on Ashcroft at pick 1 it would cost them 2400 points. If Marshall gets a bid around 20 it would cost them over 700 points. That’s 3100 points they need to match the 2 bids.

Brisbane will only have 4-5 list spots (I’m assuming 5 because they were keen on multiple picks in the 40s).

Let’s say they get 6 picks to be generous. Find me a way they get 6 picks worth 3100 points without trading their future first. If they don’t have enough points they go into deficit and that first pick drops further down the order in a draft where picks will be worth less points.

The best Melbourne could do in 5 picks was 1703 points. The Carlton pick was only worth another 584 points. That’s not even enough to match a pick 1 bid.

We should have worked pick 20 and Brisbanes F1 into our trades with GC and Freo, and sent them back picks 29, 30, 31, 42 and 43.

We could’ve ended up with picks 6, 10, 11, 13 & 20. Instead we’ll be lucky to have 3 of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker nominated the Eagles ahead of Fremantle as his preferred destination but is expected to consider whether he flips to the Dockers, who were willing to put pick No.11 on the table for the two-time flag winner.

Fremantle had been keen through the year to offer all three of its first-round picks – No.10, 11 and 18 – for Baker and teammate Shai Bolton. If Baker did shift his preference, it would break the deadlock in the Bolton deal as well allowing the triple picks to be sent to Richmond.

Baker has not wanted to leave Richmond without strong compensation for his departure, with the Hawks' trade having significant complications in that process. – Callum Twomey

Finally gave up and had to reply to you and your uneducated posts on this trade.
Mate, Blair has been doing this job for an eternity and knows exactly how trading and the draft operates. From an insiders perspective, you know nada, he knows everything. Have some faith, I mean he only delivered a dynasty list a few years ago.
he did not deliver a dynasty.

We got Dusty on the back of plough the year before when he departed. Cotch, JR and Rance where earlier not to mention others.

would we have won regardless of Blair?? quite possibly in a different way, Dimma was more important than Blair

Francis and the draft recruiting can lay more claim to the dynasty than Blair

That’s not the point though? We are all saying we should target pick 20.

What some of us are questioning is why we gave up more than we should have for it when there wasn’t any better offers than ours on the table. With the added threat of Ashcroft at 1 which would cost them 500 more points.

Is it unfair to question why? Not sure anyone has a factual reason why either.

In the words of my favourite person, Ted Lasso “Be curious, not judgemental”.

I think we can very safely assume we tried to get the swap for less.

I’d imagine it went down like this:

“Blair, we are coming to you with first option to get this pick. What’s your best offer?”

“We will offer xyz”

“Thanks for your offer, but we think we can take this pick to the market and probably get better offers, so we will revert back but no guarantees we still have the pick this time tomorrow”

So Blair has a choice. Take his chances and hope his initial offer remains the strongest, but risk losing the pick. Or just include overs and get the premium pick locked away before anyone else has a chance to put their best offer forward.

We’ve seen what happens if you dilly dally (ie Eagles). No point second guessing - just give them overs, lock in an awesome pick and move onto your next piece of business.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

View attachment 2138842

View attachment 2138847

Refreshing to read a balanced article for once.
Bolton is their massive point of difference, especially after watching Brisbane smalls tear it up in the GF.
Blair will get our picks.

Should wait until Wednesday or even draft night before making assessments on Blair's performance.
Still plenty to play out.
Cats may need 18 or 20 for the Smith trade.
F1 could be our asking price.
Pies might like a kid @ 18.
F1 our way.
Who knows.
I reckon picks in this year’s draft have continued to gain currency as the year progressed.
With the incredible depth, most clubs want in and they are not trading picks as freely as previous years.
Even clubs in the premiership window are looking at u18 talent, rather than established players.
And to add to that list managers have got an eye on Tassie coming into the comp. They know that they need to continue to bring in A grade talent, because there’s going to be some lean years in the not too distant future. No one wants to end up a basket case.
Both these reasons are making it harder for Blair to get the deals we all wanted a month ago. Still very confident we will end up with an exceptional hand this year. And maybe an extra r1 selection next season

As it stands we currently have 31 players on our list including Baker Bolton & Rioli. Which gives us 7 senior spots available

We currently have 7 picks in the draft with 1, 20, 24, 51, 61, 70 & 76.

Once we get the deals done for Baker, Bolton & Rioli we will have at minimum 11 picks in the draft, hopefully something along the lines of 1, 3*, 6*, 10*, 11* 12*, 13*, 14*, 18*, 20, 24, 51, 61, 70 & 76

Just on the bold picks above. With reports that Carlton are going after pick 3 with 12 & 14, I can see a scenario where there are a few deals made between us, Carlton, Gold Coast, Fremantle & WCE where picks get shuffled around to so each club gets what they want that allows them to land their targeted players, while also putting them in position to try and land the kids they want in the draft.

So we would end up with a combination of 4 or 5 of those picks and that will allow us to fill the 7 list spots with kids and we could then elect to upgrade a couple of our rookies to open up some rookie spots so that we aren't locked in to keeping kids taken with picks 51+ for 2 years.

The above scenario also kind of explains why we did the trade we did for pick 20. Basically we didn't really need those picks as part of our draft strategy as we will have the necessary picks we need to address the spots available with top end talent and then look to elevate a couple of rookies that are deserving.

I think to help him with his decision on going to the Dockers or go to the PSD if a deal can't be done, we need to let him know we are also happy for him to continue with us and will pick him up PSD.
That speech by o’rourke maybe a hinderance

I find it really interesting that Carlton are so publicly willing to trade up to pick 3 in order to call out Finn O’Sullivan.

They wouldn’t be doing that if they weren’t supremely confident he was going to be there at that selection.

Makes me think maybe Richmond are locked in on Lalor OR Jagga.

Would also mean North Melb are looking elsewhere.

I’m still hopeful that we use Baker + 10 to trade up for 3, and take FOS. Would hate to watch him gliding around in the navy blue come round 1 next year.

I wonder why Blair wouldn’t be interested in a pick slide involving pick 3? Makes no sense.
I thought the same thing, but guessing that WC are thinking 3 for 6 & Baker.

I get the feeling we'll we going after North's 2 but will hold onto 6.

Maybe why we're not budging on getting 11. Have to get in front of Carlton who appear to be going after 2 or 3.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency - Fred 11

Back