Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 54 38.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't we take 9 kids in the one draft? We took 13 in 2009 to kick-start Dimma's build, and most of those were late picks.
What happens if in hindsight it's a bad draft or how do you play them all?

Then the issue of they all come out of contract together and hit FA together. Better to spread the load over a few years if possible.

Then the issue of they all come out of contract together and hit FA together. Better to spread the load over a few years if possible.
I think taking too many late picks in one draft is a bad idea, but if they're all top 30 picks then I reckon you just go for it.

The quicker we get 100 games of experience into our next gen the quicker we will be contending again.

Sorry to keep bothering you tigs but don't buy this scenario. We don't need a crystal ball to see if this is or isn't going to be a good draft. In 2020 we traded out of the draft as we didn't rate it which looks to be a great decision, same thing to a certain degree last year. In 2021 we traded into it and whilst we didn't have high picks the draft itself is shaping up to be one of the best ever, our haul is showing promising signs minus Sonsie.

Development is a reasonable argument although depending on the type of player you take its may or may not be an issue. Draft four mids and yeah its an issue, draft two and two kpp and one small forward and its not. Literally get anything you want from this years draft, its a buffet for talent as you well know.

Counter argument for hitting FA together is they have grown together and want to stick with each other.

For what its worth if all three of Bolton, Baker and Rioli leave I would be disappointed if we didn't turn that into at least four first this year and three next year, to go with our current draft hand. We couldn't be in a better position than to rebuild now, so many things aligning.

I think taking too many late picks in one draft is a bad idea, but if they're all top 30 picks then I reckon you just go for it.

The quicker we get 100 games of experience into our next gen the quicker we will be contending again.
You also have to put the development resources into them. I think if we have 9 picks inside 22 I'd shuffle the last 3 forward to 2025 if teams offer a F1. Take 6 inside 17.

Geez we got some DH’s on this board. They have to go back to 2004 to prove a point. The club is incomparable now to then. If we were so shit and also remember that all we read was Dimma can’t coach, how the **** did we end up with a 3 flag dynasty.
2004. **** me. Wake up.
Excited Wake Up GIF by Originals

You also have to put the development resources into them. I think if we have 9 picks inside 22 I'd shuffle the last 3 forward to 2025 if teams offer a F1. Take 6 inside 17.
**** me… read that again

So bloody excited!

1722429154718.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the longest trade week ever.
When you will have a strong draft hand and nothing much to play for the season is an eternity.

A bit like 2018. Already well established early that we were the best team. That was a long nerve wracking year. Too long.

Damn some of us have to work, i dont have time to scroll back LMAO

Apologies to all who are offended :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
**** knows how some people on here find the time to write the tomes they do.

Sorry to keep bothering you tigs but don't buy this scenario. We don't need a crystal ball to see if this is or isn't going to be a good draft. In 2020 we traded out of the draft as we didn't rate it which looks to be a great decision, same thing to a certain degree last year. In 2021 we traded into it and whilst we didn't have high picks the draft itself is shaping up to be one of the best ever, our haul is showing promising signs minus Sonsie.

Development is a reasonable argument although depending on the type of player you take its may or may not be an issue. Draft four mids and yeah its an issue, draft two and two kpp and one small forward and its not. Literally get anything you want from this years draft, its a buffet for talent as you well know.

Counter argument for hitting FA together is they have grown together and want to stick with each other.

For what its worth if all three of Bolton, Baker and Rioli leave I would be disappointed if we didn't turn that into at least four first this year and three next year, to go with our current draft hand. We couldn't be in a better position than to rebuild now, so many things aligning.
Definitely a good draft to get whatever positions we want with these picks which is huge as we will need defined roles for them all. We could probably get a pretty even spread for 9 picks. I just worry how many you can play any given week as opposed to grabbing 5 or 6 and getting 15 games into most of them and then having another crack the year after. (Haven't focused enough on those players outside the top 5-10 so my idea could be terrible)

We've also definitely nailed which drafts to trade in and out of. 2022 looks a bit average as well albeit very early.

Definitely a good draft to get whatever positions we want with these picks which is huge as we will need defined roles for them all. We could probably get a pretty even spread for 9 picks. I just worry how many you can play any given week as opposed to grabbing 5 or 6 and getting 15 games into most of them and then having another crack the year after. (Haven't focused enough on those players outside the top 5-10 so my idea could be terrible)

We've also definitely nailed which drafts to trade in and out of. 2022 looks a bit average as well albeit very early.

Just on this and I'll leave you alone. This is what the VFL is for, you don't develop your craft as AFL level you adapt to the pace and gradually get better. You develop your craft at VFL level, some players skip that step, 90% don't. Playing in a slower pace environment where you can practice what works, what doesn't and where your strengths lie is how most players find their identity and develop. The 10% generally already have that figured out before they're drafted.

I look at someone like Sam Banks who is doing an adequate job on the wing but has showed more promise at half back and suspect long term that is where he ends up. Right now he is at the point of adapting, can't develop much more playing VFL but he can get used to the speed of AFL level while playing in a different position.

Curious to see how the exercise would look.

Baker and Bolton to Freo for 7, 12 and 16.
Rioli to GC for 6 and 20.
Graham to SA for pick 22 (compo).
Later picks to Brisbane for 17.

Leaves us with 1, 6, 7, 12, 16, 17, 20, 21 and 22.

#1 - Richmond - Sid Draper
#2 - West Coast - Finn O’Sullivan
#3 - Brisbane - Levi Ashcroft - Matched NM bid
#4 - NM - Luke Trainor
#5 - Adelaide - Toby Travaglia
#6 - St.Kilda - Josh Smilie
#7 - Richmond - Sam Lalor
#8 - Richmond - Jagga Smith

#9 - GC - Leo Lombard - Matched Melb bid
#10 - Melbourne - Harry Armstrong
#11 - Essendon - Xavier Lindsay
#12 - West Coast - Bo Allan (Hawks pick for Barrass trade)
#13 - Essendon - Isaac Kako - Matched Rich bid
#14 - Richmond - Harvey Langford
#15 - Geelong - Jack Whitlock
#16 - GWS - Murphy Reid
#17 - Carlton - Cooper Hynes
#18 - Richmond - Joe Berry
#19- Richmond - Tom Gross

#20 - Sydney - Matt Whitlock
#21 - Sydney - Christian Moraes
#22 - Richmond - Jobe Shanahan

Rd 2
#23 - Richmond - Thomas Simms/Jonty Faull
#24 - Richmond - Taj Hotton

Seniors

B: Gibcus Miller Tresize
HB: Short Balta Vlastuin
C: Ralphsmith Taranto Banks
HF: Lefau Koschitzke Campbell
F: MRJ Lynch Mansell
Foll: Nankervis Hopper Prestia
Int: Ross Broad Brown Draper

VFL
B: Smith Blight Young
HB: Gross Bauer Clarke
C: McIntosh McAuliffe Langford
HF: Green Shanahan Sonsie
F: Gray Simms Hotton
Foll: Ryan Smith Lalor
Int: OHB Pickett Berry Fawcett

Trade: Rioli, Baker, Bolton
FA loss: Graham
Delist: Colina (Cat B), Dow, Coulthard & Cumberland
Retire: Grimes, Martin & Naismith

No guarantee that 6 picks over 3 drafts end up with 6 guns. What we do know is this years draft is stacked with talent and top end of next years appears to be very strong.

Take the picks to the draft and see which clubs bid the most to get ahead of either us or another team to pick the player they want. Options like threaten to take Kako (any other draft he would go top 10) with pick 6 and in doing so wiping Essedons pick from the table or they trade us their future first and current pick for pick 6 and get two top 10 talents while mortgaging their future.

By finishing last and possibly having so many high picks we will have so much leverage.
I’m not sure we can take that many picks to the draft. We’d need to make way to many delistings. Multiple picks would need to be traded into next Year or used to upgrade prior to draft night. A fair amount of horse trading required before and on draft night.

Why can't we take 9 kids in the one draft? We took 13 in 2009 to kick-start Dimma's build, and most of those were late picks.
We can, however, you’ll need to make the list spots available. Too much culling in one season. My opinion only is that we should take 6 - 7 picks max and upgrade/move some draft capital to next year. 6 - 7 picks + rookies + PSD.

if these trades do come to fruition we have the opportunity to get in as much draft talent in one draft cycle that’d take others clubs 4 or more years to accumulate. Then we can go again with a top pick next year. We can speed up our rebuild by 36 months and have these guys all on the same development timeline.

We will effectively have an expansion club draft with an existing culture and leaders already in place, but we will lose a lot of games initially

if these trades do come to fruition we have the opportunity to get in as much draft talent in one draft cycle that’d take others clubs 4 or more years to accumulate. Then we can go again with a top pick next year. We can speed up our rebuild by 36 months and have these guys all on the same development timeline.

We will effectively have an expansion club draft with an existing culture and leaders already in place, but we will lose a lot of games initially
Yeah if people thought this year was bad, next year will be even worse without doubt.

On the plus side, we’ll be able to watch talented kids

Yeah, why not? I get all the reasons and there’s plenty of them, but as long as it’s taking guys who we’ve prioritised rather than just greedily loading up because you can I don’t really care how many.

Seems like an unprecedented draft. Might as well grab all our favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back