List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m thinking a Blicavs type role. Occasional ruck but roaming everywhere
Luke Jackson might just be a very lucky Premiership player who’s gone home…$900K over 7…? He got caught up in the steam-roller that was the 2nd half of the ‘21 GF…But his ‘22 was a bit vanilla…And Freo will be a bit nervy…

Norf have totally screwed the pooch on this deal. GWS gave up effectively 3, 12 and 25 next season for pick-1 (Cadman).

So pick 1 in GWS eyes and most clubs is worth 2 x top end picks plus a little sweetener… it’s the equivalent of what Tigers and Crows both offered for pick 1 last season.

So for 2 x pick #1’s Norf should be getting 2 x top-5 picks, a couple of low teen picks and a little sweetener. Instead they’ve got picks 2,3 a F1 (likely in the teens somewhere) and a little sweetener.

So they are genuinely missing out on a low-teens pick or better in this overall negotiation.

Why did they blink so easily? As they did with CCJ when the PSD was looming large.

Port have made out like bandits. JHF and Rioli for pick-8, a F1 and some little sweeteners. It’s highway robbery.

We benefited from North’s incompetence last season and now Port benefit this year… peeves me off seeing how stoopid they are to Port’s benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We should swap them Castagna and Aarts for LDU

Let’s wait and see what each player ends up going for. The Dogs seem pretty firm on wanting a first and second (at least)

Plus Dunkley is out of contract which does reduce his trade price. His salary is another issue though, think we’d certainly not be able to fit that in
Brisbane don't have a first round to give as far as I know, they traded it , that's why they're threatenin the pre-season draft.

Blair is a dumb campaigner. Should have never separated the deals. Massive mistake

If he'd kept them linked GWS would have had to cave given Salary Cap issues.

No … we’d still be sitting here a day before deadline waiting for 2 x players to get over the line due to GWS posturing. If we bundled them together there is zero chance we’d let them both slip through our fingers and GWS would know this.. so they’d leave us hanging until d-day and end up getting all our picks, Soldo, Ralphsmith AND Ross.

Getting our main priority TT locked and loaded for a pretty fair trade was the right move IMO.

Can u imagine how many friggin pages this thread would be if TT and Hopper were BOTH in limbo ???!?

Blair is a dumb campaigner. Should have never separated the deals. Massive mistake

If he'd kept them linked GWS would have had to cave given Salary Cap issues.
Agree that splitting the deals probably will lead us to paying overs. Only made sense if we were worried we wouldn’t get Taranto done and we wanted him more. Else Negotiation 101 is you keep everything on the table until an agreement is struck

Welcome to Richmond jacob hopper and Brayden Preuss

You'll both improve in a good club
I did mention this previously, and I’m not sure I’d want him around the club, potentially putting a teammate in a wheelchair, but think of Preuss and the other back up possibilities. Which one would you would like replacing an injured Nank in the 2023 grand final?

Players are nervous. They take a while to settle. How’s their clean hands going to go with an out of control wrecking machine in their vicinity.

Last edited:
Imo this isn’t a good trade we are getting reamed , Soldo would have come good again next year had a shitty year this year only coz still recovering from the knee

The problem is both Soldo and Nank cannot play anywhere else on the ground…. They are both useless anywhere but the ruck. And Nank is a workhorse who needs 80% game time … he’s no good playing on and off the ground constantly.

Soldo would provide great back-up in the VFL if Nank gets injured, but I just can’t see them playing many games in tandem in 2023… and Nank won’t be playing VFL.

How good would it be if they livestreamed all negotiation meetings between list managers. Like the poker channel. Id quit my job and spend all day watching it and wanking.
Wait what?
You spend all day watching and wanking to the poker channel?

WTF have GWS done? The fact Norf gave away #1 shows they were not picking Cadman at #1.
The fact Eagles gave away #2 shows they were not picking Cadman. So wouldn’t GWS have gotten Cadman at #3 anyway? So they’ve given away 12 and a F2 for nothing.

Or was the expectation Eagles would have traded their #2 elsewhere and that club might have then taken Cadman?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s our gambling mentality, in particular the possibility of landing a superstar. Taranto and Hopper are pretty close to superstars for me not to worry about our picks not even one bit.
When you trade in a player you know pretty much what you’re getting. When you draft you might get the next Carey.

Odds of winning the lottery are terrible but if you fluke it…..

WTF have GWS done? The fact Norf gave away #1 shows they were not picking Cadman at #1.
The fact Eagles gave away #2 shows they were not picking Cadman. So wouldn’t GWS have gotten Cadman at #3 anyway? So they’ve given away 12 and a F2 for nothing.

Or was the expectation Eagles would have traded their #2 elsewhere and that club might have then taken Cadman?

Its ego, Giants players skipping town quicker than rats on a sinkin ship BUT this way they can claim that they are winners of Trade Week

But you are right, GWS gave away three picks just to get Cadman who they would have got anyway lol

Hopper deal goes through.
He averages 6 clearances.
Taranto puts his clearances where his mouth is.
Martin gets back to his best.

All four of those things happen. We win the premiership. It's not even god damn close.

Kane Cornes is a serial coper

I did mention this previously, and I’m not sure I’d want him around the club, potentially putting a teammate in a wheelchair, but think of Preuss and the other back up possibilities. Which one would you would like replacing an injured Nank in the 2023 grand final?

Players are nervous. They take a while to settle. How’s their clean hands going to go with out of control wrecking machine in their vicinity.

Don't let him train with the main group and unleash him when nank needs a rest

Adelaide offered North:

Pick 4 in 2021, plus Adelaide's picks 5 & 14 in 2022

for pick 1 in 2021

So points 5,073 for 3000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

North have now lost pick 1 in 2021 & pick 1 in 2022

for Pick 2 & 3 in 2022 pick 40 & 43 in 2022 plus Ports 1st round pick for 2023.

So gained roughly 6,953 points (they would be hoping Port have a terrible season, I've said they will finish 8th or 9th) for 6,000 points

North have not only set themselves back 12 months, but they want to make sure picks 40 & 43 turn out to be decent players.
Yes, if you want to look at points, pick was 3000 but everyone including our club valued him way higher than pick one.

North had to take him and knock back the offers unless they were dead against flight risks. Everybody believed he was a star.

Imagine if you were North and you bypassed what everyone reckoned was the next Dusty, Petracca etc and ended up with the equivalent of Mitch Thorpe.

You’d never live it down. North got screwed today because not only was JHF a number one pick; he was rated higher than that.

The same thing GWS have always done. Lose a whole bunch of players who were early picks, providing them with a stupid number of draft picks to package up and go for a high pick.

They’ve done it for Taranto, Ash and Callaghan. At least this time they’re targeting a KPF instead of mid. Which for some strange ****en reason is the type they seem to spend all their first rounders on.

No joke since 2015
2015 - Hopper, Kennedy, Himmleberg (all academy)
2016 - Taranto, Setterfield, Perryman, Cummings (Taranto only one not academy)
2017 - Bonar
2018 - Caldwell, Hately, O’Halloran
2019 - Ash, Green
2020 - Bruhn, Stone, Angwin
2021 - Callaghan, Aleer

That’s 16 inside or potential inside mids as their primary scope. 1 KPF and 1 KPB.

No wonder the team is a mess. Seriously pick a small forward or genuine HBF even.

Last edited:
If hawthorn let omeara mitchell and Gunston go they would be almost certainly have 2 million in cap space so who do we think they are after in free agency next season ?

The same thing GWS have always done. Lose a whole bunch of players who were early picks, providing them with a stupid number of draft picks to package up and go for a high pick.

They’ve done it for Taranto, Ash and Callaghan. At least this time they’re targeting a KPF instead of mid. Which for some strange *en reason is the type they seem to spend all their first rounders on.

No joke since 2015
2015 - Hopper, Kennedy, Himmleberg (all academy)
2016 - Taranto, Setterfield, Perryman, Cummings
2017 - Bonar
2018 - Caldwell, Hately, O’Halloran
2019 - Ash, Green
2020 - Bruhn, Stone, Angwin
2021 - Callaghan, Aleer

That’s 16 inside or potential inside mids as their primary scope. 1 KPF and 1 KPB.

No wonder the team is a mess. Seriously pick a small forward or genuine HBF even.
Only draft mids then hope they can play other positions. Otherwise known as the reverse Dildoro

Only draft mids and hope they can play other positions. Otherwise known as the reverse Dildoro

I’ve never looked at it properly before but that’s some terrible drafting. I’m normally draft for talent, but also normally you only get 1 early pick with the occasional 2nd early pick. They’ve averaged over 2.5 first rounders in the last 7 drafts.

And they’ve virtually drafted all mids (Ash is probably another exception, but teams were hoping he’d become a mid). It actually makes me angry, they could have targeted a King brother, McDonald, Jackson, Kozzie Pickett, Hayden Young, naughton, rankine etc. especially after the first 2 drafts listed but nah we need more mids. Yeah it might have been a bust but at least it would have diversified their list.

We are to nice at the trade table. Future 1st and 31 should be enough for Hopper, Thought we paid overs for Taranto in good faith. Being the good guys hasn't done us any favours

We are to nice at the trade table. Future 1st and 31 should be enough for Hopper, Thought we paid overs for Taranto in good faith. Being the good guys hasn't done us any favours
You reckon? We paid overs for Prestia and won 3 flags and probably had some impact on getting Tom Lynch and Caddy.

I also think that paying overs helped secure Taranto’s and Hopper’s commitment.

I’ve never looked at it properly before but that’s some terrible drafting. I’m normally draft for talent, but also normally you only get 1 early pick with the occasional 2nd early pick. They’ve averaged over 2.5 first rounders in the last 7 drafts.

And they’ve virtually drafted all mids (Ash is probably another exception, but teams were hoping he’d become a mid). It actually makes me angry, they could have targeted a King brother, McDonald, Jackson, Kozzie Pickett, Hayden Young, naughton, rankine etc. especially after the first 2 drafts listed but nah we need more mids. Yeah it might have been a bust but at least it would have diversified their list.
Coniglio forced out of the midfield due to overcrowding right after signing a $7 million deal was peak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back