List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all cap dumps are created equal. Grundy is being pushed out the door with some of his salary being paid. GWS would prefer to keep both but with Taranto have offered less then value and Hopper is contracted.

If they were pushing Hopper out the door you’d have an argument but it’s clear they’re not.

They are to an extent cause they can't afford him in the salary cap apparently

Coming back from yesterday and seeing you gotta read 30 pages!

oh boy dunk GIF

not enough chocolate talk for my liking

had to buy a block blind without any bigfooty reviews tonight

I don’t think hopper is that much of a salary dump.

It isn’t for GWS. Helps their salary cap for sure, but it isn’t a salary dump. The salary cap situation GWS find itself in and the options it has to alleviate itself of its situation has been vastly overblown on here.

A salary dump looks like Bowes out of Gold Coast (high pick attached) or Grundy/ Treloar (forced out and paying some salary to play elsewhere).

I believe that both GWS and Gold Coast had higher salary caps from the AFL stemming from player retention. As a result of COVID and the reduction in list sizes, they planned reduction of the higher cap was quickened and made worse. From memory both clubs have a few seasons to offload the salary.

The easiest and quickest way for GWS to shed salary would be to probably combine a high pick or pay a portion of a contract with someone like Nick Haynes ($800k), even a Coniglio or a Kelly (both over a million). Hopper isn’t on close to those numbers, and so doesn’t represent a salary dump at all for GWS.

Thus, the angle that we’re helping GWS by taking on Hopper is somewhat falsely stated.

The move will likely be a F1 + 30 + Soldo and maybe some picks exchanges elsewhere, which I personally think is more than fair.

I mean if they thought they were getting a first for McStay then I have no words
He got the 2’nd best compo possible

He was never ever getting the best compo was he dumb campaigner lions

It isn’t for GWS. Helps their salary cap for sure, but it isn’t a salary dump. The salary cap situation GWS find itself in and the options it has to alleviate itself of its situation has been vastly overblown on here.

A salary dump looks like Bowes out of Gold Coast (high pick attached) or Grundy/ Treloar (forced out and paying some salary to play elsewhere).

I believe that both GWS and Gold Coast had higher salary caps from the AFL stemming from player retention. As a result of COVID and the reduction in list sizes, they planned reduction of the higher cap was quickened and made worse. From memory both clubs have a few seasons to offload the salary.

The easiest and quickest way for GWS to shed salary would be to probably combine a high pick or pay a portion of a contract with someone like Nick Haynes ($800k), even a Coniglio or a Kelly (both over a million). Hopper isn’t on close to those numbers, and so doesn’t represent a salary dump at all for GWS.

Thus, the angle that we’re helping GWS by taking on Hopper is somewhat falsely stated.

The move will likely be a F1 + 30 + Soldo and maybe some picks exchanges elsewhere, which I personally think is more than fair.

If you wait until the last hour of the trade window it'd be interesting to see how much of a salary dump is required from the giants

They are to an extent cause they can't afford him in the salary cap apparently

But it’s the same as CCJ, we couldn’t afford him on the wages North offered. We still drove a hard bargain.

The idea we have then over a barrel with the cap is being blown out of proportion. Pay what needs to be paid and start next season with 2 guys who will probably be firmly in our top half dozen players next year instead of trying worrying about speculative draft picks.

If you wait until the last hour of the trade window it'd be interesting to see how much of a salary dump is required from the giants

Think the TEAM AMERICA speech about d*cks, p**sys and a***oles would be pertinent if that eventuated.

But again, I believe that the Giants have a few seasons to shed significant salary. So it would put them in a more dire situation next season but not force anything.

He got the 2’nd best compo possible

He was never ever getting the best compo was he dumb campaigner lions

3rd best. End of first round is 2nd best compo.

If your Brisbane surely you look at it like you push out McStays salary and take in Dunkleys (Dunkley probably on more then McStay). That’s a massive win.

What you do to get that done is fairly irrelevant.

I still can’t get my head around this Bowes trade. Surely if there’s 3 clubs in the running the trade from GC doesn’t need to be so juicy.

I don’t know why it’s not
A) Bowes for free but take his wage.
B) Bowes for late pick but take his wage.
C) Bowes for mid pick

Etc etc why start at pick 7 in the draft?? It’s mental.

And why aren’t the s**t clubs who struggle to pay the minimum cap just going for it and then using the pick to land a good kid??

I don’t get it!! Lol

Because Bowes still has 2 years to run @ $850k so $1,700,000.00 for a guy who couldn't get a game at a cellar dwellar. For perspective in the history of RFC the only player to earn more than that is Dusty and Lynch is on approx that. Paying a spud big coin puts players noses out of joint. Last year we got Bolton to agree to $600k. Imagine his family got in his ear and said you're better than Bowes if he's on $850k you need to at least get $900k?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS have a glut of picks already 3,12,19,21,44,61,62 and they will get 31 as part of Hopper plus what ever they get from the Cats for Bruhn.

We have to get at least 44,61,62 back from these pricks.
61 and 62 are useless. No picks beyond 55-60 will get used.

Because Bowes still has 2 years to run @ $850k so $1,700,000.00 for a guy who couldn't get a game at a cellar dwellar. For perspective in the history of RFC the only player to earn more than that is Dusty and Lynch is on approx that. Paying a spud big coin puts players noses out of joint. Last year we got Bolton to agree to $600k. Imagine his family got in his ear and said you're better than Bowes if he's on $850k you need to at least get $900k?

Yep but who else are they paying?

Why aren’t spud teams like North lining up to essentially purchase a draft pick?

What I’m saying is surely it’s supply v demand. If there’s 3 clubs lining up then it seems the price is too high.

Won’t these clubs do it for a second rounder?

I mean a salary dump is one thing….

But to give up a pick 7 for it is just ridiculously unbelievable.
Surely they’d rather cop a fine from the AFL for going over than lose a top 7 pick

100% … same thing happened with Vickery at Hawthorn. Players taking pay cuts (Jordan Lewis) got upset they overpaid a spud when they were taking pay cuts. No one is getting their nose out of joint over Taranto or Hopper because 1. They are both very good players and 2. We need them to win flags. If we go pick up a semi-spud like Bowes our culture goes out the window.

I wonder if Geelong will because it could really set off a destruction of their strong culture.

But it’s the same as CCJ, we couldn’t afford him on the wages North offered. We still drove a hard bargain.

The idea we have then over a barrel with the cap is being blown out of proportion. Pay what needs to be paid and start next season with 2 guys who will probably be firmly in our top half dozen players next year instead of trying worrying about speculative draft picks.

We could have but by paying him that much would mean missing out on future deals such as Tarranto and Hopper.

We don't have them over a barrel but they know they can't afford to pay upwards of 4.5m on 5 midfielders who while capable goal kickers can't play there for long periods. They're stuck between a rock and hard place. Can't get rid of the older midfielders who should be the ones traded, can't afford to keep those hitting their prime (Tarranto and Hopper) relative to the offers they're receiving from other clubs and will have to pay big money to be able retain Green and Callaghan.

I'm a believer in paying what needs to be paid, but you don't win any extra prizes by getting your business done early.

Last edited:
it's like planning for a major sporting event - if pushed, you absolutely could do it in 1/10th the time, but you cut a lot of corners and have to have everything fall into place for you. Players are off on overseas trips, many deals rely on other transactions going through, you need to get players to do medicals, sometimes delay tactics are part of the negotiation to force clubs to weaken their stance, players must agree to the deals unlike US sports... this is up-ending players' lives in many cases.

Soccer has transfer windows which last a month or more, US sports allow trading for most of the season. I doubt more than a handful of Football Dept staff are getting a decent night's sleep throughout the entire trade period, unless they are one of the very few clubs who have stated they are going straight to the draft.

You don't need to consume every second of media the respective outlets push out!

100%. The trade period is for clubs to strengthen and balance lists and players to make moves. It should run as long as it needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back