List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait till 7am, so I can listen to the trade get done on Trade Radio.
[PLAYERCARD]jacob hopper[/PLAYERCARD] dance GIF by GIANTS

wtf is this :drunk: :tearsofjoy:

need similar gifs for all our players

Alright, it's been made abundantly clear the thoughts of many posters on George, and I don't want this suggestion to turn into just another Castagna pile on - it's been done to friggin death. And I'm not sure where Adam Kingley's thoughts on George lie, but rather than Soldo being packaged up with picks for Hopper I'd be keen to move on George, but with Richmond still paying the entirety of his remaining contract. We're paying it anyway, so it's already budgeted into our cap whether he's fronting up for them or most probably VFL for us, and it'd keep Soldo at Tigerland. Extra spot on our list for a mid-season pick next year if we want too?

Alright, it's been made abundantly clear the thoughts of many posters on George, and I don't want this suggestion to turn into just another Castagna pile on - it's been done to friggin death. And I'm not sure where Adam Kingley's thoughts on George lie, but rather than Soldo being packaged up with picks for Hopper I'd be keen to move on George, but with Richmond still paying the entirety of his remaining contract. We're paying it anyway, so it's already budgeted into our cap whether he's fronting up for them or most probably VFL for us, and it'd keep Soldo at Tigerland. Extra spot on our list for a mid-season pick next year if we want too?
Everyone would prefer to move on Castagna.
The club on the other end needs to want him first though.
I know you are trying to throw up a different scenario in where we pay his contract for next year or whatever, but clubs won't take on a player they don't want just because they're coming for free.

It's harsh on him, but he holds no value.

Tom Lynch, Jacob Hopper, Dion Prestia, Tim Taranto

There's a clear strategy here from the Tigers.

Our success doesn't allow us to get early draft picks, instead of relinquishing our dominance on field, we trade our draft picks (which are hit or miss), for proven top 10 talent - not alleged (JHF) top 10 talent.
We’ve kept most of our picks and invested in the future. Which is why this narrative that’s gaining traction about us adopting the Geelong model is complete uneducated, unprofessional bullshit.

We got Lynch for no picks. Which leaves 3 guns traded in over 6 years. Or until one day ago: one gun traded in, and that was in 2016.

Brought in 6 rookies last year and this year when we weren’t keen on a draft we bailed out and invested our intelligent stockpiled picks into addressing needs.

Our “clear strategy” is to not fall off a cliff like Brisbane, Hawthorn, Sydney (briefly) and until they eventually saw the light, Geelong.

We could top up like Geelong etc has done and perform even better on the field, but instead we are putting together a contending squad with emerging talent always coming through.

Plenty of people here talk about us going again this year, or next year, or the next four years while we have Grimes, Martin, Lynch, Prestia, Taranto, Hopper etc.

Truth is, as it seems to me, is we are setting ourselves up to be in contention every year. For ever.

If we keep our picks; let the odd Ellis, Miles, Markov type go for more picks and draft wisely we’ll always have talent coming through.

Last edited:
They would never sign George especially as Adam Kingsley knows who he is!

Just because its free, does not make it good!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS has no interest him.
He'll be with us one more year and loat and gone forever.
Even his great defender Troll2Troll was advocating we trade him out the other day.
Good to see some finally coming to their senses and realising how ordinary he is.
Alas, we are stuck with him.
PS Paying him $350,000 to $400,000 elsewhere makes zero sense and only pouts a squeeze on our cap.

I still can’t get my head around this Bowes trade. Surely if there’s 3 clubs in the running the trade from GC doesn’t need to be so juicy.

I don’t know why it’s not
A) Bowes for free but take his wage.
B) Bowes for late pick but take his wage.
C) Bowes for mid pick

Etc etc why start at pick 7 in the draft?? It’s mental.

And why aren’t the s**t clubs who struggle to pay the minimum cap just going for it and then using the pick to land a good kid??

I don’t get it!! Lol

Because Bowes can’t get a game for GC and he’s on $1.6m over the next 2-years. No-one is taking that salary on unless there’s a huge carrot attached.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I still can’t get my head around this Bowes trade. Surely if there’s 3 clubs in the running the trade from GC doesn’t need to be so juicy.

I don’t know why it’s not
A) Bowes for free but take his wage.
B) Bowes for late pick but take his wage.
C) Bowes for mid pick

Etc etc why start at pick 7 in the draft?? It’s mental.

And why aren’t the s**t clubs who struggle to pay the minimum cap just going for it and then using the pick to land a good kid??

I don’t get it!! Lol

It is not mental, it is AFL corruption

GWS has no interest him.
He'll be with us one more year and loat and gone forever.
Even his great defender Troll2Troll was advocating we trade him out the other day.
Good to see some finally coming to their senses and realising how ordinary he is.
Alas, we are stuck with him.
PS Paying him $350,000 to $400,000 elsewhere makes zero sense and only pouts a squeeze on our cap.

Who is on 350000 to 400000 a year?

Because Bowes still has 2 years to run @ $850k so $1,700,000.00 for a guy who couldn't get a game at a cellar dwellar. For perspective in the history of RFC the only player to earn more than that is Dusty and Lynch is on approx that. Paying a spud big coin puts players noses out of joint. Last year we got Bolton to agree to $600k. Imagine his family got in his ear and said you're better than Bowes if he's on $850k you need to at least get $900k?
well explained :thumbsu:

Yeah no one.

Only Lambert, Caddy, Edwards and Parker.

This is like Trade Radio in here - does anyone pay attention? In the past hour we've delisted no one, Dusty's contract was ending next year and Paddy Dow was out of contract.

All of this but apparently Blair Hartley has no idea.

This board is a shambles.
Do you think retirements and delistings are the same thing? Lol

I hope Taranto and Hopper work out better than Justin Blumfield and Taylor Hunt.

I wouldn't mind keeping some decent picks for next years draft . I hope Hopper is worth it.

The smart approach would be to leave it to next year for Hopper.

Better idea who to let go end of 2023.

Better idea how Cotch and JR are tracking. Could easily win the premiership anyway.

Gives us more options and flexibility.

All in like flynn approach is really unnecessary

With all the GWS draft picks they are going to be building anyway, have a lot of other youth to develop to, while their seniors are still on big money.

Hard for GWS to win next year so development year for Kingsley

Flynn and Pruess come out of contract in 2023 and a lot of there other guys come out of contract 2023 and some go even further out apart from Hopper

Idun is contracted to 2026 apparently for example

I assume they will want money to keep Callaghan, Green and others coming out of contract in 2023

It will take a little while for Kingsley to figure out who they want to keep and understand their list more. Himmelberg and Hopper RFA next year. If they still learning get compo for their build while their seniors still contracted

Gold Coast might be trying to raid them. Not sure what Gold Coast are trying to do longer term.

GWS have preferred Hopper out compared to others. This can work to RFC's advantage next year apart from the Taranto bond in terms of negotiation.

Whatever happens GWS has to sort out backline, forward line and other formations, positions of players, apart from Kingsley understanding the players better and development. They are going to have to recruit and will so its not happening next year for them regardless. Bit of patience might suit GWS and RFC regarding Hopper movement

Giving up a future first, 30 and whatever else now does no make a lot of sense to me for Hopper compared to the possibilities and gains next year and in further years ahead from enhanced draft capital and youth development focus. If RFC pulled reign momentarily now it would be viewed as quite astute by many.

Last edited:
Yep but who else are they paying?

Why aren’t spud teams like North lining up to essentially purchase a draft pick?

What I’m saying is surely it’s supply v demand. If there’s 3 clubs lining up then it seems the price is too high.

Won’t these clubs do it for a second rounder?

I mean a salary dump is one thing….

But to give up a pick 7 for it is just ridiculously unbelievable.
Surely they’d rather cop a fine from the AFL for going over than lose a top 7 pick

Salary cap breaches have to be a massive penalty. Imagine for a minute if going $1.5mil over salary cap only incurred a fine of $500k. That team would win a flag gain 15,000 members another 3 prime game slots become a destination club..... Surely the club's all know future salary cap breaches would make Carlton's breach where they lost 4-1st rounders including 2 pick 1's and a pick 2 look like play school or every club would be tempting fate to do it. Then again Dees got slapped with a lettuce leaf for confirmed tanking. Maybe we should get Green, Anderson, King and JHF now and let Benny slap us with a limp celery stick!

Yep but who else are they paying?

Why aren’t spud teams like North lining up to essentially purchase a draft pick?

What I’m saying is surely it’s supply v demand. If there’s 3 clubs lining up then it seems the price is too high.

Won’t these clubs do it for a second rounder?

I mean a salary dump is one thing….

But to give up a pick 7 for it is just ridiculously unbelievable.
Surely they’d rather cop a fine from the AFL for going over than lose a top 7 pick

But keeping players like King, Rowell, Anderson etc is more important to them than pick 7. They were just gifted a whole draft package by the AFL anyway so dont overly need top picks anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back