List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that’s a given. Not sure why anyone would think that’s likely.

Maybe some more expendable types like Graham, Short, Broad etc. but I would be staggered if any topliners are being tapped on the shoulder.

Surely this whole discussion needs to be prefaced with “if player X requests a trade”.
Why would Graham Short and Broad be ushered out?? You would get little for them so they would be worth more to us playing, supporting and leading. Even Graham, Graham can help our new 2024 draft picks come through

lets get serious here, the 2024 draft picks will be our stars for the future hopefully

Last edited:
this would be the ultimate dream one could have when head hits pillow..
could u imagine what draft night would be like?
magnum champagne for everyone!!
Whately would start his "State of the game" shit again and Kornes would have a ****ing aneurysm even though he has been banging this drum all year.

While I get the fascination with going after all the R1 picks by trading out a heap of experienced players with currency, I believe it's the wrong path to go down and that we'll end up regretting it in a major way if we do.

Below is the core group of 24-28 year olds we should be building around in 2025:

Backs: D.Rioli Miller Young

Midfield/Ruck: Hopper Taranto Graham Hayes-Brown Ross Ryan

Forwards: Baker Lefau Bolton Balta Mansell Koschitzke

Now I fully understand that not all of them are elite players, but no team has ever been full of elite players in every position on the field. As we all know it's a combination of players that make a team successful, from the truly elite to the solid supporting cast and the fringe types who play roles that often go unrecognized by the average punter and are the first ones to cop heat when the team is struggling.

I'm not going to sit here and say that all those named above will be part of our next premiership side or even our next finals win, but heading into 2025 given where we're currently sitting some of those players can play roles in the side as we rebuild to become a contender again.

This may change as the end of the year comes and trade requests are made, but right now I hope that this is the clubs thinking and judging by the Taranto story from last week it would appear that he is trying to get the same sort of thing happening.
24 to 28 is far too old to build around. We need to build around the 21 - 25 year olds as they are the age group that will mostly make up the next crack at the finals. Let's say that we hypothetically nail this draft, it would be 3 years until we start to see consistent fruits.

This may all change however. If next year we have normal levels of injuries and more than 2 players play every game we can start to actually learn and implement a game plan. Then our needs may differ.

So much time wasting in here. There is no way the club is going to have a clean out. It just won’t happen. Some living in fantasy land, the club definitely doesn’t want to rebuild with multiple first rounders by trading out our core.

My assumption is the club thinks it can bounce back next year.

Unless they all ask to be traded, none will.
I hope the club isn't thinking any of that, otherwise we are doomed for 10 or more years.
We have nowhere near the talent, especially top end talent, to be rebounding right back up the ladder.

24 to 28 is far too old to build around. We need to build around the 21 - 25 year olds as they are the age group that will mostly make up the next crack at the finals. Let's say that we hypothetically nail this draft, it would be 3 years until we start to see consistent fruits.

This may all change however. If next year we have normal levels of injuries and more than 2 players play every game we can start to actually learn and implement a game plan. Then our needs may differ.

25 is older than 24….

The age group I'm talking about is the foundation of the side that provides the leadership and experience as we bring the younger players through.

We wouldn't necessarily be playing them all in the senior side but would have them spread across both sides. It helps avoid us ending up like North.

I hope the club isn't thinking any of that, otherwise we are doomed for 10 or more years.
We have nowhere near the talent, especially top end talent, to be rebounding right back up the ladder.

I guess we’ll find out soon enough. I would personally keep Rioli and Bolton. Baker and Graham can go. Don’t see the club or Short wanting to leave, so that won’t happen

Even if they get both, Freo aren't winning a flag in the next 5 years.

They're the St Kilda of the non-Vic teams.
St Kilda has more wooden spoons, so that is an unfair comparison.

Has Fremantle released a DVD set?
1721162899966.png

Why not? Who else are we paying right now?
Paying half a mill for a player to play elsewhere, no thanks. What happens when a gun player becomes available and we cant throw our hat in the ring because we are funding another teams flags, vomit.

Below was our List build picture at the Start of 2017. They have sorted the players as per the players first draft (i.e. Lambert in 2009 when he was drafted in 14/15)
View attachment 2048974
Jesus Christ, seeing that puts into perspective how insane our dynasty was. How lucky do you have to be to draft and hit on Riewoldt, Rance, Cotchin and Martin back to back to back to back.

The gap of talent, including potential in the Vic Metro c Vic Country team over our current team is massive. If people cannot see that they are blind

Paying half a mill for a player to play elsewhere, no thanks. What happens when a gun player becomes available and we cant throw our hat in the ring because we are funding another teams flags, vomit.
Pretty sure Geelong ate at least that much in salary cap to take Bowes and get pick 7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wow, trading a player out increases our chances of trading a player in later because and amounts we pay do not last forever and it comes down to window management. Too many people want to sleep at night withy the lights on are are holding on far too tight killing our opportunities and success. If Dusty did not come along we still would be waiting for 40 plus years!!

The idea is the bulk of our talent will be coming through the draft so we do not have to pay big on FA and trades and we grow immense talent within via the draft

In the case of the Giants & Suns: it seems they have had to pay high salary to players on their lists. So Taranto, Hopper are salary dumping. Jack Bowes the same.

Rioli to the Suns & us paying some of his salary makes good sense. A high draft pick or 2 coming back with it. Especially with Martin money being available in 25 & Lynch money in 26.

RFC is in prime position to do those kind of deals. We could still take on a $million player and could back end the inevitable, long contract.

A gun FA is less of a priority given our ladder position & need for 2 or 3 drafts

Pretty sure Geelong ate at least that much in salary cap to take Bowes and get pick 7
Yeah but its not the same, they are paying a player to play for them also who is best 22.

I am talking paying 50% of a players wage to play elsewhere, not to mention that player earning approx $1 mill a year as he is a gun. Its never happened and never will.

Didn't we do that with Lids except we won the flags instead of them lol

Yeah but its not the same, they are paying a player to play for them also who is best 22.

I am talking paying 50% of a players wage to play elsewhere, not to mention that player earning approx $1 mill a year as he is a gun. Its never happened and never will.
I’ve said before that buying picks with cap space doesn’t sit well with me but it would be interesting to see what the market thinks $100,000 in cap space is worth in draft picks

wow, trading a player out increases our chances of trading a player in later because and amounts we pay do not last forever and it comes down to window management. Too many people want to sleep at night withy the lights on are are holding on far too tight killing our opportunities and success. If Dusty did not come along we still would be waiting for 40 plus years!!

The idea is the bulk of our talent will be coming through the draft so we do not have to pay big on FA and trades and we grow immense talent within via the draft

Morro Now you have even been owned by Magic on this.

Time to step over to our side. :)

In the case of the Giants & Suns: it seems they have had to pay high salary to players on their lists. So Taranto, Hopper are salary dumping. Jack Bowes the same.

Rioli to the Suns & us paying some of his salary makes good sense. A high draft pick or 2 coming back with it. Especially with Martin money being available in 25 & Lynch money in 26.

RFC is in prime position to do those kind of deals. We could still take on a $million player and could back end the inevitable, long contract.

A gun FA is less of a priority given our ladder position & need for 2 or 3 drafts

Thats fine but 50% of a million dollar contarct? NO!

Didn't we do that with Lids except we won the flags instead of them lol

Not 50% of his salary we didnt and he wasnt on a milly.
Morro Now you have even been owned by Magic on this.

Time to step over to our side. :)

Haha, no one gets owned by that Buffoon and if I did, I would quit BF.

I have him on ignore, but you clowns keep entertaining him FFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back