List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

Im sorry I got confused when I read this
Goldstein is a pure Ruckman and spanked us, Sandilands is a pure Ruckman and spanked us heck even Ceglar is a pure Ruckman and spanked us
They did and so did David Hale. He was recruited as a forward yet they turned him into a proper tap ruckman. Geelong is trying the same thing.

We've attempted to fill a need by bringing in Clark and Stanley. So Clark if he stays on the park will kick 50 goals and Stanley I can imagine will push further up the ground, but make no mistake, this is a potent fwd line if things fall into place.

But we have left an even bigger gap in our midfield, that was already very shallow.

I hope we're going to fill it from the draft, or we're in trouble...
How do we fill it from the draft any more than what we already have? Whoever we pick up is still a year behind Hartman, Lang & Jansen and won't likely impact for at least 2 years.

Maybe they rate these guys and are looking at 2015 to really get games into them. With the continued development of GHS, Guthrie, Caddy and Duncan + Hartman, Lang and Jansen they feel we'll be better placed 2016+ with the possible addition of Dangerfield boosting that. Either way this years draft won't give us any immediate solution to our need for another solid inside mid, it's a surprise trade tomorrow or run with what we have.

I'm not upset we've picked him up. I'm more disappointed with the fact we gave up pick 21 to do it. A trade of Hunt (who we're cutting ties with anyway) and a swap of picks (maybe our pick in the 30s for their 3rd round pick) would've been better IMO, but Wells and co. have more than enough credits in the bank list management wise for me to trust they know what they're doing.

When Chris Scott spoke of 2015 being the start of our Premiership window after his appointment in 2010, was Rhys Stanley part of the equation? Of course, I'm being facetious. But seriously, Rhys Stanley may be a good (and necessary) pick up in time, but right now I think that we're a long way off having a list profile that could be considered even remotely close to a flag.
But technically geelong gave up Christensen for someone who hasn't really proved much at st Kilda.
If I was geelong I would have offered 3rd round or went for lowden who I rate very highly at the club, if geelong offered him a position he would leave no doubt

Lots of pessimism about our trades.

I for one can't see the big deal. Yes we lost Christensen which was a blow but he played 8 games and we finished top 4. Varcoes only great game was the 11 GF and he often went missing. We have delisted players that were given game time and unfortunately didn't look anything but serviceable.
We have added Clark and Stanley (I assume to free up Blitz so his role can be better defined) and we have players coming through and returning from injury. We also will have plenty of cap space to go after a player like Danger.

We might still be just off the pace but I can't see how next year's side isn't going to be better than this year's.

I'm not upset we've picked him up. I'm more disappointed with the fact we gave up pick 21 to do it. A trade of Hunt (who we're cutting ties with anyway) and a swap of picks (maybe our pick in the 30s for their 3rd round pick) would've been better IMO, but Wells and co. have more than enough credits in the bank list management wise for me to trust they know what they're doing.
I don't think St Kilda would've let him go unless someone gave them a very good offer though. Why would they bother? Better off just keep developing him than taking a punt on a pick in the 30's.

I think the only the way we get him is by paying overs, whether our assessment of his potential is accurate or not will determine whether it was the right move, which we probably won't know for at least 12 months.

I just think geelong gave too much for a kid who hasn't showed much yet, but as hawks supporter if there are any teams that can turn around players it is our clubs.
I just think it would have been more wise to go for a real first ruckman, such as lowden who has been in our club for years now and I rate highly, he just needs a team to take him on and I would have been happy with this trade lowden and 43 for pick 35 (I think they are right picks)

I don't think St Kilda would've let him go unless someone gave them a very good offer though. Why would they bother? Better off just keep developing him than taking a punt on a pick in the 30's.

I think the only the way we get him is by paying overs, whether our assessment of his potential is accurate or not will determine whether it was the right move, which we probably won't know for at least 12 months.

True. IIRC, Stanley was contracted for 2015, so we probably had to go a bit harder to get him.

I just think geelong have too much for a kid who hasn't showed much yet, but as hawks supporter if there are any teams that can turn around players it is our clubs.
I just think it would have been more wise to go for a real first ruckman, such as lowden who has been in our club for years now and I rate highly, he just needs a team to take him on and I would have been with this trade lowden and 43 for pick 35 (I think they are right picks)

Can't remember, but did Gunston show much when he was at Adelaide?

Some players tend to blossom at a different club. Hopefully for our sake Stanley is one of them.

I just think geelong have too much for a kid who hasn't showed much yet, but as hawks supporter if there are any teams that can turn around players it is our clubs.
I just think it would have been more wise to go for a real first ruckman, such as lowden who has been in our club for years now and I rate highly, he just needs a team to take him on and I would have been with this trade lowden and 43 for pick 35 (I think they are right picks)
I think most probably agree at this stage, the club obviously see something we don't or there other things going on in the background. I don't think we see the full picture yet, at least I hope not...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do we fill it from the draft any more than what we already have? Whoever we pick up is still a year behind Hartman, Lang & Jansen and won't likely impact for at least 2 years.

Maybe they rate these guys and are looking at 2015 to really get games into them. With the continued development of GHS, Guthrie, Caddy and Duncan + Hartman, Lang and Jansen they feel we'll be better placed 2016+ with the possible addition of Dangerfield boosting that. Either way this years draft won't give us any immediate solution to our need for another solid inside mid, it's a surprise trade tomorrow or run with what we have.

There is no way we can fill it (I was being sarcastic but forgot the :rolleyes: icon). An injury to one of Caddy, Duncan, Selwood, Stokes or SJ and we are screwed.

I actually think they're putting eggs in the Danger basket or incredible amount in the kids (but hey isn't that what half this board whinge about?), but didn't we do that with Vardy and McCarthy?

Huge risk, Huge reward type of guys at the club.

Did you quote the right post there, comrade?o_O
I did Fred, I picked the the post written by you, thought only you would recall that famous catch-cry.
Actually is a little relevant to your post.
Heard Tim Lane say it last year when Stanley crashed into Riewoldt, stuffed up a goal v Dogs, Dogs won. Was a hilarious imitation at the time.
Anyway, I do go off track. Sorry.

Interesting stats about Stanley's output in 2014
he averaged 6.4 marks per game, ranked 18th in the competition
he averaged 1.6 contested marks per game, ranked 17th in the competition
he average 1.3 Marks inside 50 per game, ranked 53rd in the competition, in the team ranked 17th for Inside 50s.

Blicavs, Vardy, Walker already and now we've added Clarke and Stanley. It seems like we're a team full of tweener ruck/forwards. Some great athletes in that group but I struggle to see how we get them all to fit in and it seems like we're looking at conceding height in the ruck all season. Feels like we are also short in terms of midfielders.

I feel the same, it's overbalance.

We have too many talls and will have a few of them in the vfl, but by contrast lack midfield depth (barring further trades tomorrow and the draft) and if we have injuries there will really lack replacements.

I also feel we have too many part time rucks but none of them including Stanley is likely to be a dominant ruck, which you need if your midfield isnt dominant, and ours isn't.

Anyway they must have a plan we don't know about.

All right, guys. I've got it.

AFL coaches are always looking to other sports for a tactical idea or two, and that is what has happened here. The club have been observing top level ten pin bowling and come away with some ideas...

We are going to line up Stanley, Blitz, Vardy and HMac in a centre square "skittle" formation and let Sandilands run at them. Boy, Oh boy!

Which leads us to question if Simpson and HMac are as bad as we fear why didn't we make a move on clearly defined 1st Rucks like Giles, Lowden, Z Clarke? Guys that would have been a lot cheaper than pick 21.

This is the question isn't it.

We will know in 12 months if we made a good call or a very bad one.

Here's hoping he does a Hale (recruited as a forward but turns into a decent ruckman)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade: National Draft selection no. 21 traded to St Kilda for Rhys Stanley and selection no. 60

Remove this Banner Ad

Back