Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stepping up a level to play his first senior SANFL game of the season Sid Draper turned in a seriously impressive display and proved that he can match it against the mature bodies. Playing almost entirely through the middle he finished among the best for South Adelaide with 23 possessions and put to rest any questions about his defensive work rate with 11 tackles among numerous other pressure acts.

Saw that Code Sports article saying pick 20 will become 28-30. I'm only seeing 2 certainties (Ashcroft & Lombard), 1 probably (Marshall), 1 maybe ( BCampo) and 1 unlikely (Welsh) to get bid on in the first round. Worst case its 25. And it's pick 20 of the available players regardless.
that's also before FA compo picks are handed out - Battle & Zurhaar are two that could shunt it down even further, not sure if there are others

RICHMOND

The club’s draft rivals believe the Tigers are zeroing in on 194cm Eastern Ranges midfielder Josh Smillie. The Tigers just inherited the No.1 pick – on current ladder position – from North Melbourne and will surely keep it, given they are injury-ravaged and the Kangaroos are rising with a bullet. The Tigers would love the No.1 pick to be clear-cut and a Harley Reid type, but some recruiters still believe Smillie and Victorian mid Finn O’Sullivan are the best two kids, then a gap to the rest including Vic Metro mid Jagga Smith, Lions’ father-son prospect Levi Ashcroft and Victorian interceptor Luke Trainor.

The problem is that Smillie hasn’t exactly set the world on fire in his three under-18 games so far, with a clash to come against Vic Country on Sunday.

Smillie showed glimpses in a nine-clearance contest against Western Australia, but has 17, 22 and 20 touches in those U18 games and wouldn’t be a lock for All Australian honours.

So ideally he torches Vic Country, has an even stronger back-end to his season and makes it easy for the Tigers, who need more elite mids to help Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper.

What is the absolute best draft haul Richmond could secure if they wanted to maximise their draft hand? Right now they have pick 1, 21, 36 (Fremantle’s second-rounder), 39 and 41 plus a heap of back-end picks.

They could secure pick 10 to 13 for Baker and two first-rounders for Rioli, albeit the Roos one, which ends up at pick 28 to 30. So they could have pick 1, 8 (the Dogs’ first-rounder for Rioli), pick 12 (for Baker), 21, 28 (the Roos-end-of-first-rounder), 36, 39, and 41.

Those picks will shuffle around with father-son and Next Generation Academy picks, but it would give them three top-15 picks, five top-30 picks and eight selections within 41.

It’s a spectacular starting point for the rejig, restump and rewire under Adem Yze, even before unrestricted free agent Jack Graham considers his future.

This article does not make sense. WTF does Roo's end of 1st rounder end up at pick 28-30? Its certainly going to be before our 2nd rounder at pick 21 which hasn't moved according to the article?

I have been a blunt NO on trading DRioli, but if it came down to having to let one go, its Rioli over Shai for mine. Yes, I have changed my mind, but Smith comes in and takes his spot from day1. Its much easier to replace a HB, albeit gun and spiritual leader nearly 28, than one of the most damaging mid/fwds in the game.

We would still land approx pick 10 and 22.

Baker leave for a teens pick - Freo or 2 x 2nd rounders - WC

Would give us picks 1, 10 and a teens pick. without points trading to come.

Shai is a must keep unless we get crazy overs IMO.
I reckon if we play hardball we could get both of the earlier firsts from GC for Rioli. Whichever one is left gets burned on Lombard, so they may as well take a couple of later picks from us and give us both firsts.

It will be what it ends up being. 16th, 17th or 18th ain't gonna bother me.
Probably fair enough at the moment, but if between now and the end of the year, one player stamps himself as the standout player, then pic 1 becomes gold.

Probably senseless discussing it now , with so much to play out, but this is what happens when you’re no longer top dog

that's also before FA compo picks are handed out - Battle & Zurhaar are two that could shunt it down even further, not sure if there are others
Zurhaar should be after. If anyone pays band 1 there should be an investigation. Not sure Battle gets band 1 either. The McKay one was really a PP with some rules manipulated.

I reckon if we play hardball we could get both of the earlier firsts from GC for Rioli. Whichever one is left gets burned on Lombard, so they may as well take a couple of later picks from us and give us both firsts.
They'll trade one into next year

Powerful presence at under age level but query on a being a bit soft and having skill sets transferable to the step up. Watts dominated juniors and it all came a bit easy for him and the workrate to succeed at afl level was not there. Just my thoughts and happy to be proved wrong
From all reports Smillie has no issues winning a hardball. I haven't read anywhere that he is soft, unlike Watts. Tall forwards never make it if they are big softies.

Having pick 1 or as leverage will help our cause. Could make a serious case for Lombard being no.1 in the draft and any professional club was use that as leverage to help their draft hand. Same applies to Ashcroft.

We need at least 2 x top 10s and another inside 20 IMO, then a couple more inside the 2nd round.

Anything less and I'll be very disappointed.

Even that is disappointing. Blair should be sacked in that is all he can deliver.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having pick 1 or as leverage will help our cause. Could make a serious case for Lombard being no.1 in the draft and any professional club was use that as leverage to help their draft hand. Same applies to Ashcroft.

Even that is disappointing. Blair should be sacked in that is all he can deliver.
Wut? Acquiring 2 extra first rounders while holding onto the 2 x 2nd rounders we already have?

Hard marker.

Walk Away Harley Quinn GIF by Max

From all reports Smillie has no issues winning a hardball. I haven't read anywhere that he is soft, unlike Watts. Tall forwards never make it if they are big softies.
Watts wasn’t soft in u/18’s, he was dominant and had the physical attributes to do so at AFL level but lacked the hard as fk mindset that separates the good from the great and when the going gets tough be it in game or in pre season or in rehab they go hard - Cotchin a good example. That’s not the vibe I’m getting from the bit of him I’ve seen training & playing but will happily put my hand up when he wins the Norm and say I’m wrong

Watts wasn’t soft in u/18’s, he was dominant and had the physical attributes to do so at AFL level but lacked the hard as fk mindset that separates the good from the great and when the going gets tough be it in game or in pre season or in rehab they go hard - Cotchin a good example. That’s not the vibe I’m getting from the bit of him I’ve seen training & playing but will happily put my hand up when he wins the Norm and say I’m wrong
Watts was always soft. Same as Schache.

Watts wasn’t soft in u/18’s, he was dominant and had the physical attributes to do so at AFL level but lacked the hard as fk mindset that separates the good from the great and when the going gets tough be it in game or in pre season or in rehab they go hard - Cotchin a good example. That’s not the vibe from the bit of him I’ve seen training & playing

I feel like when Carltoon were down the bottom for so long they acted like campaigners in the PSD. Time to return the favour 10 fold.
Who we gonna target?
There'd be plenty of Carlton players getting underpaid with Williams, Curnow, Cripps, McKay, Weitering, Saad, McGovern, De Koening and Walsh taking the lions share.

Bend over Blue dickheads

Spot on. It just sucks big time because it's a Rioli though. Unless Port or Pies die in the ass we won't get value for Shai anyway and we need more forwards not less.

Saw that Code Sports article saying pick 20 will become 28-30. I'm only seeing 2 certainties (Ashcroft & Lombard), 1 probably (Marshall), 1 maybe ( BCampo) and 1 unlikely (Welsh) to get bid on in the first round. Worst case its 25. And it's pick 20 of the available players regardless.

Having said that, it's really going to come down to who wants to leave.

I've been pondering on this issue that has vexed a few of us.

The answer now seems obvious to me. If you take pick 30 of the draft you are getting the 30th best player and it doesn't matter that is was the 20th best player that was available to you. All the 29 players taken before your pick are out there in the system playing against you(obviously bar any you have taken yourself.) So if pick 20 is shunted to pick 30, it is worth pick 30, end of.

It's more naive to think that next years no.1 will be a better player than any other player in the top 5, when in the past 25 years only Nick Riewoldt would still go number 1 in a redraft with injury permitting Harley Reid to join him.

Harley Reid would have gone number 1 had he been drafted 12 months earlier, he is best u18 prospect to come through the system. We already know there is no Harley Reid in next years draft.

Come the day of the draft we will be in a better position to evaluate this years talent versus next years but the point I am arguing is if we rate a player high enough that we are willing to risk a future first which could be a pick 1 to 6 then we should definitely consider it.

Good post. I wonder what history tells us is the best numbered pick, taking into account flags, B&F’s, AA’s etc…? I know from the top-10 pick-6 js the worst … an absolute disaster of a pick with only a couple of hits.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back