Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

If we believe Smillie is a ‘safe’ pick then we definitely should swap it for 2 x high picks. I’m not interested in ‘safe’ at pick #1. Andrew McGrath was a ‘safe’ number 1. Bruce Gibbs was a ‘safe’ #1. Neither of them hand any outstanding attributes, whether it be speed, power, marking ability, skill etc… and history says they were just good to very good players. You can get ‘good’ at pick 7, 12 or 40.

If we are not pretty certain Smillie or JOS are going to be absolutely elite, swap the pick.

If we are confident one of those two will be elite or excellent players, then keep it.

It’s as simple as that for me. Whilst there are no guarantees with any pick, I don’t want us to play it safe and take Smillie at #1 if we knew all along he was just a ‘safe’ pick who had nothing absolutely elite in his kit bag.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

walsh was a safe pick, he aint no Reid

How much can the Blues offer? I was under the impression they were struggling juggling the cap to keep their own players let alone offer a large lucrative contract for a free agent.

Battle is going to the Hawks or staying at Saints. Blues are not in the frame for Battle.

And he’s an UFA, meaning Hawks don’t have to make a ridiculous offer Saints choose not to match.

I think he’ll get a 6-year, $5m deal. Hawks will
pay overs as they’re getting him for free. This will trigger band-2 compo, so end of first round.

If we believe Smillie is a ‘safe’ pick then we definitely should swap it for 2 x high picks. I’m not interested in ‘safe’ at pick #1. Andrew McGrath was a ‘safe’ number 1. Bruce Gibbs was a ‘safe’ #1. Neither of them hand any outstanding attributes, whether it be speed, power, marking ability, skill etc… and history says they were just good to very good players. You can get ‘good’ at pick 7, 12 or 40.

If we are not pretty certain Smillie or JOS are going to be absolutely elite, swap the pick.

If we are confident one of those two will be elite or excellent players, then keep it.

It’s as simple as that for me. Whilst there are no guarantees with any pick, I don’t want us to play it safe and take Smillie at #1 if we knew all along he was just a ‘safe’ pick who had nothing absolutely elite in his kit bag.

Against that we have seen Melbourne in 2013 swap picks 2 and 22 for Dom Tyson(2011 pick 3) and pick 9 and 53.

Melbourne ended up with Tyson and Salem and Jayden Hunt.

The picks they traded out ended up being Josh Kelly and Darcy Gardiner.

Melbourne had their reasons at the time but in hindsight, I think they'd have preferred Kelly or maybe a chance at the bloke who went 2 picks later at pick 4, Mr Bontempelli.

Richmond will be weighing up all the possibilities, but if you look at the history of pick 1 since 2000, and take out the guys cut down by injury, you get the following:

Guns

N Riewoldt Hodge Goddard Cooney Deledio Murphy Whitfield Weitering Walsh Rowell and almost certainly Horne-Francis and Harley Reid.

That is 12 of the 24 that were or look like being major award winning players or around that type of level.

Very good players

Scully(in the end limited by a bad injury after establishing himself as a very good player) Swallow Rayner(maybe only good rather than very good) McGrath Ugle-Hagan(fair projection)

Too early to tell

Cadman

Cut down by injuries/mental illness without a proper chance to fulfil their potential

Paton Kreuzer Boyd McCartin

Shit

Jack Watts :tearsofjoy:

It is in reality a very strong role call. Given these guys are mostly getting drafted into malfunctioning clubs, they are often starting from a handicapped position. The probability of getting a really good player is high. And that probability definitely diminishes with each descending pick, barring the odd anomaly.

What Richmond needs by far the most urgently is a line breaking mid who can do damage with his kicking. If the club is extremely confident they can get that at pick 1 I don't think they need to think any further about it, UNLESS they get an offer of 2 strong picks and they are also very confident of getting that type of player with the better of those 2 picks.

One thing is for sure, this is our most intriguing off-season for a long time, and possibly ever. The club will have so many options.

Last edited:
What a crap comment. Grimes is a great of our club and deserves to retire on his terms. We already had four picks and only used two. The only thing that sucks is you as a supporter !

No one deserves to go out on their own terms when the house is literally on fire.

Look at Biden. He has done way more in life than Dylan Grimes. Reckon that husk of a bloke should be allowed to keep running for President out of "respect" for yesterdays papers?

The club is ****ingfalling apart and you think we are in a position to worry about mindless legacy shit? Grimes is f-ing cooked. He will get paid either way. SunshineBoy is 100% right - he needed to retire before the MSD so we could have another bite at the cherry.

If you stay in the fire too long - you are cooked. And both Grimes & Biden are f-ing cooked AF

No one deserves to go out on their own terms when the house is literally on fire.

Look at Biden. He has done way more in life than Dylan Grimes. Reckon that husk of a bloke should be allowed to keep running for President out of "respect" for yesterdays papers?

The club is ****ingfalling apart and you think we are in a position to worry about mindless legacy shit? Grimes is f-ing cooked. He will get paid either way. SunshineBoy is 100% right - he needed to retire before the MSD so we could have another bite at the cherry.

If you stay in the fire too long - you are cooked. And both Grimes & Biden are f-ing cooked AF
Well your posts have been crap for years but you still keep going boring us to death with your tripe. If you retire I am sure Grimes will out of respect as well for being such a wonderful supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not sure what Tim Taranto is thinking?

There is no way RFC is incentivised to destroy our list because there is only so much talent we can draft in one year and we can trade cap space for draft picks as well.

We can't have a heap of new draft picks fighting over each other for a game like they may have had at GWS either
You really don't like Taranto do you?

Yeah I agree. Smillie/FOS + Lalor and a KPF is dream scenario.
100%, its almost negligent of the club not to identify this. Or maybe behind the scenes they have, we dont leak much nowadays.

Lalor will end up the best mid of the draft, more upside than the current first 2 prospects in Smillie and FOS, but because he isn't there yet he drifts down the order a bit. The team with Pick 2-5 that nabs him will get a steal.

I wouldn't mind back trading to pick 2 or 3 and taking Lalor + whatever else we get for the other pick, even if that's into the 2025 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back