Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit premature but I like Hotton, Moraes and Whitlock. It would be good if we could somehow end up with two of three, there will probably be a lot of interest in Whitlock given the dearth of quality key postion players in the AFL at the moment

Those in the Lobb camp:

It means the Dogs do not need Lobb as a highly paid VFL back-up for Sam Darcy and English, set to net a contract of up to seven years at more than $1 million a season.

Lobb has two more seasons on a deal of around $550,000 remaining after this season and the Dogs will need to find money for English and Jamarra Ugle-Hagan’s contract.

Lobb and his fiance Lexi Mary have put up a series of TikToks making fun of his presence in the VFL and have been counselled by people close to them they are not being taken with the sense of humour they intend.

Rory Lobb in a TikTok that wasn’t taken as well as he’d hoped. Picture: TikTok, @lexiimary

Rory Lobb in a TikTok that wasn’t taken as well as he’d hoped. Picture: TikTok, @lexiimary
So he will straighten up his TikTok act and is reported by the Dogs to be genuinely working his tail off to get back into the AFL side with good VFL form and strong training work ethic.

But with English set to stay, Lobb is aware he is surplus to requirements in the long term at Whitten Oval.

So if he is traded, the Dogs might be happy to get his $1.1 million salary commitment off the books and would be urged to trade him to the club of his choice without wanting a high pick in return.
More likely to go to a club that is contending. Would rather keep our cap for a younger A grader that we can build our team around.

Got a relative playing for Sandy, Oscar Cheetham. Was a bit unlucky to miss out on selection of the Vic Metro squads for the trial games against Vic Country. Plays a KPD and 197cm and is very athletic. Runs the 20m in 2.99 and the 2 km in 6.32

Hope he gets on an AFL list and would awesome if we selected him.

I would like the club to target Joel Jeffrey from the Gold Coast in a trade. Has the ability to kick a goal, is athletic and at 192cm if he doesn’t work as a tall forward is more than athletic enough to be a tall wingman.
This year’s draft seems to be dominated by inside mids which is also a need.

Worked for us back when Hardwick took over and the expansion teams had all the best kids handed to them. We will be fine, just need to trust the process and not get spooked into making stupid rash decisions.

This year with our draft hand it's important that we get the best possible haul to take into the draft and give ourselves the best opportunity to add more quality kids to the list. Keep building that talent pool and then when the time is right hit the trade/free agency market and get the missing pieces that put us back into genuine contention for the premiership.
That is true although we did pick up most of our top guys before the expansion teams came in from 2006-09 (Jack, cotch, dusty, rance, grimes, edwards). Could be a similar situation now where we hit the draft hard in the next couple years before tassie joins

Worked for us back when Hardwick took over and the expansion teams had all the best kids handed to them. We will be fine, just need to trust the process and not get spooked into making stupid rash decisions.

This year with our draft hand it's important that we get the best possible haul to take into the draft and give ourselves the best opportunity to add more quality kids to the list. Keep building that talent pool and then when the time is right hit the trade/free agency market and get the missing pieces that put us back into genuine contention for the premiership.
Given we are playing a few kids etc, post bye may be when it starts to get a bit much for the side. Unless we can get some of the older guys to stay on the park for a week without getting injured.

Not that is means anything but 4 of Toce's picks at the most recent draft are all playing AFL for the Saints atm. he seems to know what he's doing.

That is true although we did pick up most of our top guys before the expansion teams came in from 2006-09 (Jack, cotch, dusty, rance, grimes, edwards). Could be a similar situation now where we hit the draft hard in the next couple years before tassie joins
I don't that we seem to doing a bit of a reset with this in mind. We'll have the hard yards done before Tassie get to start their raid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there anywhere, where there is a table with the pts in order? We had 1 last yr (trade thread i think) but that's gone now.

Doesn’t have them in order, but gives a competition wide rundown

This kid has just made vic country squad and is Richmond nga according to pre
Has the stupid top 40 call and u cant match still.in place.
tigers so far worst nga in Australia produced sweet thuk all.
View attachment 1956632
View attachment 1956634
He made the Vic Country squads for the trial games which doesn't mean he will be picked for the Championship.

Hasn't been named in the best players for the Pioneers this season so far.

I've posted previously a list of the senior players I'd be keeping heading into 2025.

That list being:

Martin
Lynch
Broad
Vlastuin
Nankervis
Short
Hopper
D.Rioli
Baker
Taranto
Graham
Bolton
Balta
Ross

Naismith also remains if his body holds up and he feels like going around again as he is invaluable as a ready made ruckman in case Nankervis gets hurt.

Of those I'd allow anyone who wants to leave to move on and get the best possible return for them.

That means Grimes Pickett Prestia & McIntosh are the older players I'd be moving on at seasons end.

Around that experienced core I've got the following players I'd be keeping:

Lefau
Young
Miller
Mansell
Koschitzke
Ryan
Dow
Trezise
Maurice
Sonsie
Banks
Gibcus
Brown
Clarke
Smith
Campbell
McAuliffe
Fawcett

That leaves the following as needing to show something to remain:
Cumberland
Coulthard
Ralphsmith
Bauer
Green
Colina
Hayes-Brown

So there could very well be a big clean out at seasons end in keeping with how our draft hand is currently, we need to create the number of vacancies to match the picks we have so that we can then use those picks.

Over the next few years we need to draft Mids & KPP only, no more flankers. Especially with Tassie coming in, we need to get into the draft as much as possible. Then when Tassie enter we can target free agency & use what ever picks we manage to scrounge when Tassie take the majority of the draft picks.

picks 4, 24, 32, 41, 42, 50, 60, 62, 72​
points 4771​
So which teams might be willing to trade down for their F/S or academy picks? Carlton (Camporeale twins) Brisbane (Ashcroft) ... I think the Suns also have another academy kid?
Would be awesome to get a couple of late first rounders (you'd expect Carlton & Brisbane to be top 8) with our 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Last edited:
I feel Jagga's game in this one has been underrated by some draft watchers. He was clean all game where others fumbled and struggled with their skills. Jagga demonstrated his usual knack of navigating traffic and finding pockets of space for a clean disposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back